Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Card

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Card
Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:31 am
  • So my blow-hard neighbor out of the blue mentions to me yesterday that, "Oh by the way, I bought a Russell Wilson autographed rookie card the other day..."

That got my attention.

He said he paid $150 bucks for it (it's mint condition) and I immediately told him I would pay him twice that right now for that card. Darn jerk happens to be very smart when it comes to sports and especially sport player cards. He laughed and said no way. IF Russell Wilson turns into a HoFer like many of us think he will, that card will be worth plenty more than what I am offering.

So what do you think? First of all, what would YOU pay my neighbor right now for a mint condition, autographed Russell Wilson rookie card? If Russell has the career trajectory we all expect, what do you think that card would be worth when his career is over?

I hate that my neighbor is shrewd enough to buy that card. He may be a 49ers/Broncos fan but he's no dummy.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Card
Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 am
  • Authenticity - I wouldn't pay a dime until He has some proof from the NFL or something that the sig is Authentic and rookie card is in what card collectors would call "Mint" condition

Otherwise if he's got the proof, and the card is in near perfect condition.. yeah i'd prob pony up the big bucks for it.. but thats me I love collecting things I'm a fan of, the wife doesn't like it (she's from Denver, need I say more) but my man cave is about my Seattle memorabilia
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• Trust me...My neighbor may be a lot of things that I don't like but one thing he knows is sports memorabilia. His hobby is collecting sports cards. He knows his stuff. No doubt, this is the authentic, real deal.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Well, good on your neighbor-that means you have $300 extra to allocate toward this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68918&p=964105#p964105
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Sounds like your neighbor is a perfect candidate to be set up in a compromising position of a sort (your choice), then you simply blackmail him for the card.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• bestfightstory wrote:Well, good on your neighbor-that means you have $300 extra to allocate toward this:

Incorrect. No matter how much money Todd has he will just lead us on, making us think he is coming, then lurchin us at the last possible moment. Classic Todd road trip lurch technique perfected as only someone of his other world lurchyness can.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• The guy is an asshat, so go buy one of your own and don't feed the neighbor troll.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Is this your ninnir neighbor?
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Yep.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Yep.

Uggh, you poor soul.

Ya know, I can arrange for an inert (non-explosive) bomb to "accidentally" get dropped on his house from an EA-18G Growler from about 10,000 feet up...the day before the season starts, so he will not have shelter to continue to enjoy his beloved Whiners.

Just sayin.

:shoot:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Aros wrote:So my blow-hard neighbor out of the blue mentions to me yesterday that, "Oh by the way, I bought a Russell Wilson autographed rookie card the other day..."

That got my attention.

He said he paid $150 bucks for it (it's mint condition) and I immediately told him I would pay him twice that right now for that card. Darn jerk happens to be very smart when it comes to sports and especially sport player cards. He laughed and said no way. IF Russell Wilson turns into a HoFer like many of us think he will, that card will be worth plenty more than what I am offering.

So what do you think? First of all, what would YOU pay my neighbor right now for a mint condition, autographed Russell Wilson rookie card? If Russell has the career trajectory we all expect, what do you think that card would be worth when his career is over?

I hate that my neighbor is shrewd enough to buy that card. He may be a 49ers/Broncos fan but he's no dummy.

The very fact that he's a 49rs/Broncos fan points to his dummyness. LOL
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:17 am
  • He likes the Broncos and the Tfs? That sucks.

I can't imagine how terrible that guy feels on a daily basis.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:18 am
  • Football cards aint what they used to be.

Back in the 80's I collected cards like a mad man thinking they were going to be my retirement. Now I have a closet full of cardboard hardly worth anything.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:28 am
  • Buy your own. ebay link 1 of only 25 in existence.
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:22 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Football cards aint what they used to be.

Back in the 80's I collected cards like a mad man thinking they were going to be my retirement. Now I have a closet full of cardboard hardly worth anything.

Same here, but baseball cards!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Joe Montana signed rookie cards show on E-bay for $200-$700. There was one that sold on auction back in 2009 for $65,000. If you are like me and think Wilson has a Montana-esque career ahead of him, you will probably at least break even paying $150, assuming that the card is authentic/certified and mint.

Even if you didn't make money off it, it's a pretty cool piece of memorabilia. I'd much rather have that card on display than have another jersey in my closet.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• If you can find one unsigned given Wilsons public appearences around town you probably could get it signed by him also. Maybe a personnel signiture at that. To Aros and .Net Russell Wilson :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Well, good on your neighbor-that means you have $300 extra to allocate toward this:

Incorrect. No matter how much money Todd has he will just lead us on, making us think he is coming, then lurchin us at the last possible moment. Classic Todd road trip lurch technique perfected as only someone of his other world lurchyness can.

Maybe (just maybe) not this time, Dom. I know his secret....
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• JSeahawks wrote:Football cards aint what they used to be.

You bought Pro Set football instead of Score in 1989? That's what I did. :(

Those first couple of years of Pro Set had a bunch of variations-like the back of the Dexter Manley mentioning his drug problem-that got quickly switched. If you have some of these variations, you might have some valuable cards.

Baseball....obviously the 89 Fleer Billy Ripken was famous right away. But not too many noticed the different versions of the Marlboro sign on the Randy Johnson rookie card from the same set. If you bought 89 Fleer early, you may have gotten lucky and ended up with one of the Randys with a sign that is not fully blacked out yet.

A favorite site for this kind of stuff:

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/1989-fleer-randy-johnson-381-marlbroro-variations/
    camdawg
    NET Rookie

• Would just get an unsigned card and wait for an autograph signing. I've got a Marino autographed rc and its not worth much more than 200 and its a rarer 30 year old card for a hall of fame.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 pm
  • Aros wrote:He said he paid $150 bucks for it (it's mint condition) and I immediately told him I would pay him twice that right now for that card. Darn jerk happens to be very smart when it comes to sports and especially sport player cards. He laughed and said no way. IF Russell Wilson turns into a HoFer like many of us think he will, that card will be worth plenty more than what I am offering.

The value of cards swing wildly with the popularity of any player. I was fortunate to start collecting Wilson autographed rookie cards before he took off and now the cards are selling for ~3X their initial value. Now that his rookie season is over, seems like the market has softened on his autos but are still fairly pricey. I'm hopeful for an amazing sophomore season to boost values up again.

If you are really interested in buying a card, I have a few Topps/Panini certified Wilson autos ranging from $100-300 that I'm open to selling. Feel free to PM me and I can send over a few pics of my cards.
    GO BEARS!

671hawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:03 am
  • I got an autographed 8x10 (with a photo of him signing it) from someone on eBay for $60 + S&H. Being the genius I am, I put it in my $4 frame and it sits looking at me in the living room.

The cards look legit though...
    Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
    Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks
    SilkMonkey
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 am
  • I would need to see the card, in person, to give a price I would be willing to pay. Lots of things to take into account in regard to price. Not many players I would seek out Auto/Rookies for, but Wilson is one, so the appeal is there. I havent read the thread completely yet, so Im sure some info has been listed that Im unaware of. Will make another post or edit after I view the other posts.

Edit: Doesn't appear to be any additional information. Anyway, I too had collected a crazy amount earlier in my life. If the market had continued to grow, I'd be sitting on a couple million worth. Unfortunately, it didn't. With the way cards sell these days, it would take me years to piece off my collection. I have cards from the 40's to present, with a huge collection of 50's to 60's baseball, most in very good condition with a few mints. If anyone is ever looking for anything, message me. I'm always willing to negotiate and starting on my 2 boys' college funds works for me.
    Red Beard
    NET Rookie

• Looking for a 1977 Topps Largent, near mint or better, centered preferred, doesn't have to me graded.
    GO BEARS!

671hawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information