Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Card

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So my blow-hard neighbor out of the blue mentions to me yesterday that, "Oh by the way, I bought a Russell Wilson autographed rookie card the other day..."

That got my attention.

He said he paid $150 bucks for it (it's mint condition) and I immediately told him I would pay him twice that right now for that card. Darn jerk happens to be very smart when it comes to sports and especially sport player cards. He laughed and said no way. IF Russell Wilson turns into a HoFer like many of us think he will, that card will be worth plenty more than what I am offering.

So what do you think? First of all, what would YOU pay my neighbor right now for a mint condition, autographed Russell Wilson rookie card? If Russell has the career trajectory we all expect, what do you think that card would be worth when his career is over?

I hate that my neighbor is shrewd enough to buy that card. He may be a 49ers/Broncos fan but he's no dummy.

Exittium

Reaction score
Authenticity - I wouldn't pay a dime until He has some proof from the NFL or something that the sig is Authentic and rookie card is in what card collectors would call "Mint" condition

Otherwise if he's got the proof, and the card is in near perfect condition.. yeah i'd prob pony up the big bucks for it.. but thats me I love collecting things I'm a fan of, the wife doesn't like it (she's from Denver, need I say more) but my man cave is about my Seattle memorabilia

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Trust me...My neighbor may be a lot of things that I don't like but one thing he knows is sports memorabilia. His hobby is collecting sports cards. He knows his stuff. No doubt, this is the authentic, real deal.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like your neighbor is a perfect candidate to be set up in a compromising position of a sort (your choice), then you simply blackmail him for the card.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3lbohq8n said:
Well, good on your neighbor-that means you have $300 extra to allocate toward this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68918&p=964105#p964105

Incorrect. No matter how much money Todd has he will just lead us on, making us think he is coming, then lurchin us at the last possible moment. Classic Todd road trip lurch technique perfected as only someone of his other world lurchyness can.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Aros":9xeojh8s said:

Uggh, you poor soul.

Ya know, I can arrange for an inert (non-explosive) bomb to "accidentally" get dropped on his house from an EA-18G Growler from about 10,000 feet up...the day before the season starts, so he will not have shelter to continue to enjoy his beloved Whiners.

Just sayin.

:shoot:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":91bx0u6a said:
So my blow-hard neighbor out of the blue mentions to me yesterday that, "Oh by the way, I bought a Russell Wilson autographed rookie card the other day..."

That got my attention.

He said he paid $150 bucks for it (it's mint condition) and I immediately told him I would pay him twice that right now for that card. Darn jerk happens to be very smart when it comes to sports and especially sport player cards. He laughed and said no way. IF Russell Wilson turns into a HoFer like many of us think he will, that card will be worth plenty more than what I am offering.

So what do you think? First of all, what would YOU pay my neighbor right now for a mint condition, autographed Russell Wilson rookie card? If Russell has the career trajectory we all expect, what do you think that card would be worth when his career is over?

I hate that my neighbor is shrewd enough to buy that card. He may be a 49ers/Broncos fan but he's no dummy.
The very fact that he's a 49rs/Broncos fan points to his dummyness. LOL

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
He likes the Broncos and the Tfs? That sucks.

I can't imagine how terrible that guy feels on a daily basis.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Football cards aint what they used to be.

Back in the 80's I collected cards like a mad man thinking they were going to be my retirement. Now I have a closet full of cardboard hardly worth anything.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":26gdwv0j said:

Back in the 80's I collected cards like a mad man thinking they were going to be my retirement. Now I have a closet full of cardboard hardly worth anything.
Same here, but baseball cards!

kearly

Reaction score
Joe Montana signed rookie cards show on E-bay for $200-$700. There was one that sold on auction back in 2009 for $65,000. If you are like me and think Wilson has a Montana-esque career ahead of him, you will probably at least break even paying $150, assuming that the card is authentic/certified and mint.

Even if you didn't make money off it, it's a pretty cool piece of memorabilia. I'd much rather have that card on display than have another jersey in my closet.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you can find one unsigned given Wilsons public appearences around town you probably could get it signed by him also. Maybe a personnel signiture at that. To Aros and .Net Russell Wilson :)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1ua7y1ke said:
bestfightstory":1ua7y1ke said:
Well, good on your neighbor-that means you have $300 extra to allocate toward this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68918&p=964105#p964105

Incorrect. No matter how much money Todd has he will just lead us on, making us think he is coming, then lurchin us at the last possible moment. Classic Todd road trip lurch technique perfected as only someone of his other world lurchyness can.

Maybe (just maybe) not this time, Dom. I know his secret....

camdawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1fjwk92a said:

You bought Pro Set football instead of Score in 1989? That's what I did. :(

Those first couple of years of Pro Set had a bunch of variations-like the back of the Dexter Manley mentioning his drug problem-that got quickly switched. If you have some of these variations, you might have some valuable cards.

Baseball....obviously the 89 Fleer Billy Ripken was famous right away. But not too many noticed the different versions of the Marlboro sign on the Randy Johnson rookie card from the same set. If you bought 89 Fleer early, you may have gotten lucky and ended up with one of the Randys with a sign that is not fully blacked out yet.

A favorite site for this kind of stuff:

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/1989-fleer-randy-johnson-381-marlbroro-variations/

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Would just get an unsigned card and wait for an autograph signing. I've got a Marino autographed rc and its not worth much more than 200 and its a rarer 30 year old card for a hall of fame.