Training Camp Sleepers

burgers_59

Reaction score
After going to training camp the past couple seasons. I've come to find that a lot of the guys that don't get too much recognition going in, whether they be later round picks or UFA rookies. Can leave big impressions and ultimately make the team. Guys like Sherman, Chancellor, KJ, can be some of note through the past few years. Lockette was fun to watch out of the UFA rookies, as well as guys like Sean McGrath and Cordorro Law (although he didn't make the squad, he had good flashes of pass rush ability).

I feel like its hard to not recognize whoever we bring in now. Due to John and Pete's eye for talent talent. Out of our draft picks i'm excited to see our two new defensive tackles. I think both Hill and Williams have a good chance of making the team. If not, one could always land on the practice squad, and one could make the 53.

As for the later rounds and UFA rookies. I'm excited to see how Seymour and Bowie compete. I know that Bowie got a lot of snaps with the ones in minicamp and OTA's when Breno was absent. As for the UFA rookies i'm excited to see how Johnn Lotuleilei does, seems like a guy that can play all special teams and maybe get a chance to play. I could see him taking Farwells spot, but we'll just have to see.

Just wondering if you guys had any players going into camp to look out for. I'll be doing a review after each practice I go to. I usually try and keep an eye on everyone, but if there's anyone you want me to look out for specifically, let me know. Go hawks!

kearly

Reaction score
Craig Wilkins. I don't know if he makes the team, but I bet he makes the practice squad. He's an above average athlete, he's got decent size, he plays smart, and he's really, really tough to block. He reminds me a little of a guy we used to have around here- David Hawthorne.

PrepntheSep

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how the LB unit shapes up, especially excited to see Toomer. I'm looking forward to the battle for depth on the online. I'm going to training camp for a week so hopefully I can give some observations. Is it just me or does it look like Simon will eventually be IR'd with so much depth at CB? Then we can basically redshirt him for a year without risk of trying to stash him on the PS. Should be some great battles at camp with a lot of talent squarin off

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":6gyh363z said:
Craig Wilkins. I don't know if he makes the team, but I bet he makes the practice squad. He's an above average athlete, he's got decent size, he plays smart, and he's really, really tough to block. He reminds me a little of a guy we used to have around here- David Hawthorne.
Quite a bit faster in a strait line, but not as quick, plays the POA like he's screw loose. Very violent, but given that he's faster and not as quick I'd almost say he's more like Curry. Plays about as big as Curry too. Heater was an agile LB. Very good lateral agility and balance. That said he could cover well in up to medium sized zones, but covering a lot of larger areas including man to man was tough for him. Also given that Wilkins is faster and not as quick Hawthorne is better in shorter or smaller zones.

Sometimes I wonder about these combine numbers though. Wilkins had a bad 3 cone, but I'm not sure I see that on his vids. He might be every bit as quick as Hawthorne too. For instance, Guy had a 4.7 40 at the combine, but ran on a bad hammy? Think it was a hammy anyway, but he ran later when healthy and ran around 4.5 flat.

That said I could be full of ish with that first part.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":3g80e0ow said:
Phil Bates. LOOGOUT!
I wondered that myself. It's possible he makes it over Kearse as the 6th if we keep 6. Supposedly Bates made some nice plays in camps, but also dropped a few. Bates is one of those athletes that has the physical part down. It's not an issue. It's the actual being a WR and STer with some consistency is the important thing.

Kearse isn't exactly ChopChopped liver though so we'll see. It'll actually be really interesting watching the 3rd and 4th quarters of our preseason games. Maybe more so than the starters.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'll just forgo and throw it out there that I'm not really responding to the question directly because I like a lot of these guys trying to make the roster this year whether that be UDFA, 2nd year UDFA, rook, or otherwise. This team is loaded with physical talent. They'll have to separate themselves mentally and in hard work.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well, OK. I think there could be a surprise at SLB. Malcom Smith might be the backup WLB still and there may be a reps split between......Toomer, Irvin, and Avril. Toomer will likely show the best ability in coverage of the 3 and he is good at the POA. He needs to get assignment correct, but he has pretty much everything you want in a LB assuming he can get the D down. Smith I'm not sure I want to see up at the LOS as an Under SLB. I like him as a WLB where he can knife in and he has success at that, but he had some problems when the strong side rolled to him. Had some success too so it's a tough one. Throwing in Irvin AND Avril because both seem to have more success from the left side pass rushing. The pure aspect of natural preference may play a part. Of course, if one of them can really get playing SLB and get some proficiency at SLB in coverage then it becomes a different story, but right now I think Toomer has a real shot to start on 1st downs. Might be a surprise story.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Of course, the ultimate goal would be that we end up having the Leo and SLB capable of rushing the passer and dropping back, but that's a real stretch. Even most 3-4 teams don't accomplish that fully. In that sense you could call it a 3-4, but it would depend on how you doled out gap responsibilities. But again, even in gap responsibilities we are hybrid. Some guys are two gappers, some guys not. At least I'm pretty sure I read that we're going for that. If true I'd be extremely excited to see us take NFL defense to another level.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":toq0sbe0 said:

I'm not so sure if Wilkins even makes the PS, he's very sturdy overall and athletic in most areas however I see big faults in his game that won't translate well particularly is his 30 3/4 inch arms (Shorter than Malcolm Smith's by .75 of an inch),and while he has good straight lined speed with a 4.54 40... his field speed, lateral quickness, and change of direction leaves a lot to be desired and rates more as a defensive tackle with a 4.67 20-Yard Shuttle, and a 7.85 3-Cone Drill.

For PS LBers, I like John Lotuelei a lot and Kyle Knox a little better than Wilkins overall.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Would also like to add that at that OLB spot Morgan has supposedly added weight and is looking really good physically. The D will be slightly different this year, but he knows it. If he can pick up some Leo duty it helps him make the sqaud.

tooshort

Reaction score
Red Beard":2f72zh8n said:
Alvin Bailey & Michael Bowie.

Amen to that..Bailey was my favorite guard* as far as potential** in the draft.

*makes me cringe in regards to maturity and dedication to his craft, but **has IMMENSE untapped talent,the interior line version of Dez Bryant or Janoris Jenkins IMHO. Come on Cable!!! Let's do this!!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540182

SE174

Reaction score
I don't know if he'll make the team or PS, but I'll be rooting for Greg Herd. Great WR, excellent athlete (used to play QB in HS as well), and has great size (6'3, 200). He's a film and practice junkie too, so he has that working for him.

Johnny

Reaction score
vin.couve12":yznj3f5s said:
Would also like to add that at that OLB spot Morgan has supposedly added weight and is looking really good physically. The D will be slightly different this year, but he knows it. If he can pick up some Leo duty it helps him make the sqaud.

Really?, How much? he is listed at 226 Lbs. on the Hawks.com site... even if he puts on 10 more pounds that would make a big difference...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Johnny":2lt8haj2 said:
vin.couve12":2lt8haj2 said:

Really?, How much? he is listed at 226 Lbs. on the Hawks.com site... even if he puts on 10 more pounds that would make a big difference...
Didn't say how much, but they mentioned it when also first noting that he was taking reps at Leo. Either way he didn't have a problem at the POA last year for the most part. He wasn't assignment correct at all times, but he has speed to spare so any added weight is a bonus.