Irvin to OLBer

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:41 am
  • Coach Pete Carroll says he plans to move defensive end Bruce Irvin to outside linebacker, where he'll compete with Malcolm Smith for the starting job.
    Irvin will still see looks as a defensive end in nickel pass-rushing situations, but isn't big enough to ever earn a full time role on the defensive line. Carroll brought up Irvin's versatility as being extremely valuable to the team, and added "We're a 4-3 personnel system that plays 3-4 looks," indicating Irvin will get plenty of pass rush opportunities at outside linebacker. Expect Irvin to win the job from Smith after serving his four-game suspension for PEDs.


    Smart move by Carroll. Im sure they will use him a lot like Von Miller, move him around and he will primarily rush. I like it.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2399
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 am
  • I love it, i don't see him as a legit DE, too small... in order to succeed there, he'd really need to develope solid moves other than the bull and speed rush.. I love the move... How is his coverage skills though?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3879
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49 am
  • I don't buy the part about him not being big enough to play line full time. I think that was obviouly opinion but mixed in so it may be construed as something Carroll may have hinted at.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:00 am
  • Now THIS, is news!

    Finally, something to discuss. I think this move is not only logical, but as Carroll indicates, the looks we give an offense are all over the place. Having a guy like Irvin, with the athleticism he has, coupled with the strength and depth of our new-look D-line, it makes great football sense.

    I'm kinda with Cali on the size thing, but what if Pete just needed a "media reason" that insures most folks looking in from the outside make good sense out of the move? Second guessing floating around is not good press.

    The 4-game suspension with toss a wrench in things a bit, but give Bruce until mid-season...

    Highlight reel!
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 5758
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: is not important, when you're good.


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 am
  • Irvin's not big enough YET.
    I don't think it's ourwith the realms of possibility he continues to grow, both as a player and an athlete into that role.

    As of now we have Bennett, Clemons and Avril though, with Bryant for rushing downs. There simply isn't room for him on the D-Line when he lacks the ability to stop the run, so it makes sense to move him where he'd be more effective
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2338
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:23 am
  • I'm not sure its to much of news. Pete said a few months ago Bruce would be the stand-up rusher. I think he called it "spinner" or something odd.

    It makes alot of sense. Irvin is a raw dude with tremendous instincts rushing the QB. But, instinct can get negated quickly lined up across NFL tackles. So, remove Irvin from the tackle a bit through standing up.

    Irvin has always looked like a stand up rush guy. To me anyways.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9924
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 am
  • IS this news? Didn't Pete say something along these lines during OTAs, shortly before Irvin was busted? I thought the idea was that he'd split time between DE and LB, according to need, and play by play?
    User avatar
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 733
    Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:21 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:26 am
  • Not sure how I feel about this, to me this justifies all the haters from last year who said he was too small to play DE and those that thought he was a reach. But I can see how a rush LB in a 3-4 is actually more valuable that a Leo DE in a 4-3, so If he can pull it off and be productive not only will we get a ton of sacks from our LB position but it could make Pete and John look like Geniuses.

    BI has the speed to play LB but I question his instincts in coverage and worry that he really might have a hard time finding a position in the league where he can use his pure athletisism to reach his max potential.
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2122
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:28 am
  • Should be an interesting experiment. Perhaps Carroll and Quinn think some time at the position will help Irvin better be able to diagnose the offensive plays.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14391
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:29 am
  • My main concern are his coverage skills.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    User avatar
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2071
    Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:34 am
  • News?

    I thought folks would get what I'm saying a touch more. Given the amount of filler posts lately about everything from what we do with toilet paper to arguing with worthless Niner fans, I think having a real Seahawks-related thing to discuss is quite refreshing.

    One more thing about the move...
    I think this may have more to do with Winfield than it does the new D-line guys. Just got done watching the EmDiggy vid and I don't know why I forgot about our new friend Antoine as a threat to rush from the edge.

    Think about it, on passing downs we now have a nickel and a converted DE with break-neck speed and comfortable make-up coverage down the middle with ET and with Kam helping deep. Our defense is just going to be downright filthy whatever Pete and Quinn do with the looks.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 5758
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: is not important, when you're good.


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 am
  • With his speed, and lack of size, I really like the idea. Our coaching staff knows exactly what they are doing. If Norton doesn't like what he sees, he won't hesitate to tell PC it's not working.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2621
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 am
  • Indicated by Coach during OTAs, but confirmation is always nice to have (especially on an internet forum). Should be fun watching him roam the field and attack from different angles.


    Couple that with Early free ranging, and QBs are going to have headaches trying to process what could happen.


    Needless to say, I'm very excited to see what Quinn brings to the table and how all of this unfolds. I know Pete orchestrates the defense for the most part, so it'll be interesting to see the dynamic between the two coaches. I imagine they're both drooling over the fact they can pretty much do anything their minds conjure up (with scheme/play design).


    Go Hands.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2108
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 am
  • As many of you are probably aware I was not on board with drafting Bruce due to his inexperience. IMO switching his position after only one year is troubling. Yes he had a decent number of sacks but he dissapeared in way too many games. I'm sure Bennett and Avril have something to do with the switch, however, to learn a new position this early on to me says he probably is not what they envisioned when drafting him. I hope for everyones sake he'll be the next LT and not the next Aundray Bruce.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1059
    Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:20 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:54 am
  • HoustonHawk has a great point about Winfield helping with coverage or tackling mistakes by Irvin.

    I'll add that Irvin will be lining up at OLB behind or right around Clem or Avril at LEO. Both those guys can set the edge on running plays and Irvin with his speed can go in for the kill, knife right through to the RB. Let alone the blitz possibilities with Irvin coming behind Clemons and Winfield covering the backside.

    Boner
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 2938
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 am
  • A means of having almost all of our pass rushers on the field at the same time.
    Image
    User avatar
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 am
  • My concern is that while Irvin is getting OLB reps in training camp, I assume Malcolm Smith is running with the second team.

    So then what happens in games 1-4, when Smith is lacking reps with the 1st-team defense?
    Image
    User avatar
    oasis
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 424
    Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:01 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:07 am
  • Interesting move, does this mean Pete is still looking for a starting DE in the market?
    #NEXTMANUP
    User avatar
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2423
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:09 am
  • I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3456
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.

    :13:
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2399
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 am
  • oasis wrote:My concern is that while Irvin is getting OLB reps in training camp, I assume Malcolm Smith is running with the second team.

    So then what happens in games 1-4, when Smith is lacking reps with the 1st-team defense?


    Smith started three games last season when Hill was injured and played pretty damn well. I don't see how this situation would be any different. This is also being described as a competition between the two, so I'm sure both will get reps with the 1st-team during training camp and pre-season.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3456
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:18 am
  • hawker84 wrote:I love it, i don't see him as a legit DE, too small... in order to succeed there, he'd really need to develope solid moves other than the bull and speed rush.. I love the move... How is his coverage skills though?


    This makes NO sense. So you saying Chris Clemmons is "too small"? The 2, as of last year, were seperated by a mere 5 pounds. Totally ridiculous.

    Even now this is what is listed on the official site:

    91 Clemons, Chris DE 6-3, 254, 31, 10 Georgia
    51 Irvin, Bruce DE 6-3, 248, 25, 2 West Virginia
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2363
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:22 am
  • Do you think carrol made a mistake? even trying him at D-Line, considering his smaller size. Seems like a wasted season.
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.

    :13:


    I see it as putting him in a "Von Miller" Type role. Where he can play upright on early down and also put his hand in the dirt on passing situations. I don't really see this as news, It was assumed for 2 months now.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2363
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 am
  • NFL_Football2013 wrote:Do you think carrol made a mistake? even trying him at D-Line, considering his smaller size. Seems like a wasted season.


    How is 9.5 (including playoffs) sacks a wasted season, with a year refining his pass-rushing skills?
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2363
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 am
  • The people saying "see, told ya he cant play DE" are making me laugh. This regime is ALWAYS thinking a season or two ahead. Carpenter played RT his first year, even though the Seahawks specifically worked him out and always planned for him to play guard. He was only at RT in year one to get him on the field. Get the best talent on the field, regardless of position. You were probably the same people saying "Pete doesn't understand QB's or passing attacks" in season one and two.

    Maybe some of you are just too acustom to Holmgren who did the opposite; fill positions regardless of the talent. (Seneca, Leonard Weaver, etc).

    IMO, Irvin has always been thought of as a Clay Mathews, Von Miller type weapon defensively. They simply didn't have the depth to do that last year.

    Knuckleheads....
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9924
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 am
  • Physically, I think Irvin can play both positions. His football acumen IMO, is what I would question while playing OLB. It would help if they are only going to blitz him from the OLB spot, but opposing QB's aren't stupid, nor are their coordinators. I'm sure if this were the case, only blitzing Irvin from the OLB spot, opposing teams would quickly learn to call an audible to attack Irvin either in coverage or with misdirection plays to challenge mental awareness. With that said, Irvin could very well be good in coverage, I just don't know.

    Anyone ever seen him in coverage? Because I can't remember ever seeing him (As a Hawk) cover anyone. College?

    Go Hawks!

    tcs
    Bleeding Silver and Blue since 1982...
    User avatar
    TCS
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 pm
    Location: Redmond, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:I see it as putting him in a "Von Miller" Type role. Where he can play upright on early down and also put his hand in the dirt on passing situations. I don't really see this as news, It was assumed for 2 months now.


    I'll check with you before posting anything next time.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2399
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:I see it as putting him in a "Von Miller" Type role. Where he can play upright on early down and also put his hand in the dirt on passing situations. I don't really see this as news, It was assumed for 2 months now.


    I'll check with you before posting anything next time.


    Wait, you haven't been already? It's clearly listed within the Seahawks.net doctrine.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9924
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:02 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    NFL_Football2013 wrote:Do you think carrol made a mistake? even trying him at D-Line, considering his smaller size. Seems like a wasted season.


    How is 9.5 (including playoffs) sacks a wasted season, with a year refining his pass-rushing skills?


    its a wasted season, he wasnt learning to be a stand up player, how to play linebacker, how to blitz as a linebacker, how to cover zone/man. Being on the Dline was teaching him to play a different style of pass rushing and not learning how to cover.
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 am
  • NFL_Football2013 wrote:
    jlwaters1 wrote:
    NFL_Football2013 wrote:Do you think carrol made a mistake? even trying him at D-Line, considering his smaller size. Seems like a wasted season.


    How is 9.5 (including playoffs) sacks a wasted season, with a year refining his pass-rushing skills?


    its a wasted season, he wasnt learning to be a stand up player, how to play linebacker, how to blitz as a linebacker, how to cover zone/man. Being on the Dline was teaching him to play a different style of pass rushing and not learning how to cover.


    He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2399
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 am
  • I think it is a great idea. Remember Irvin in community college played safety(!). He has excellent speed and seems to have good awareness. Putting him with a quick DE (Bennett , Clem, Cliff A. Etc ) overloading one side will cause fits.

    There have been quit a few few DE/LB over the year. The Raiders had one years ago that caused us fits Tony Cline I think was his name. lawrence taylor was a DL man in College and only played his last college years as a LB. he could be a better Von Miller...it will be fun to find out at least !
    Last edited by Happypuppy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:28 am
  • He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.[/quote]




    so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.

    Covering as an OLB is different than covering as a Safety. The time he doenst rush and has to cover Jimmy graham, vernon davis etc...... then what, i dont think his community college coverage skills will suffice.
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 am
  • NFL_Football2013 wrote:He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.


    so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.[/quote]

    I think your overthinking things. Most 3-4 OLB's rush the majority of the time. So it's not that big of a deal. I recall a interview with PC during OTA's talking about Irvin and dropping coverage and he made it sound as if Irvin was picking up that part of the game quickly.

    I'm certainly excited to see how it all shakes out this preseason. The LBer's and DL should really be interesting to watch this preseason-- How will Toomer, Bradford, Morgan fit into things? What roles will the rookie DT's claim by the end of training camp?
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2363
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:36 am
  • Happypuppy wrote:I think it is a great idea. Remember Irvin in community college played safety(!). He has excellent speed and seems to have good awareness. Putting him with a quick DE (Bennett , Clem, Cliff A. Etc ) overloading one side will cause fits.

    There have been quit a few few DE/LB over the year. The Raisers had one years ago that caused us fits Tony Cline I think was his name. lawrence taylor was a DL man in College and only played his last college years as a LB. he could be a better Von Miller...it will be fun to find out at least !



    if he could be a better von miller, why not start him out as an LB to begin with?
    and really tony cline......thats the best example we can hope for?
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:I love it, i don't see him as a legit DE, too small... in order to succeed there, he'd really need to develope solid moves other than the bull and speed rush.. I love the move... How is his coverage skills though?


    This makes NO sense. So you saying Chris Clemmons is "too small"? The 2, as of last year, were seperated by a mere 5 pounds. Totally ridiculous.

    Even now this is what is listed on the official site:

    91 Clemons, Chris DE 6-3, 254, 31, 10 Georgia
    51 Irvin, Bruce DE 6-3, 248, 25, 2 West Virginia


    you obviously didn't bother to read the rest of my post.. i'll paraphrase.. In order for him to further succeed at DE at his size , he'd need to adapt more moves than just the speed and bull rush, Clemons has a variety of moves he uses, thus enjoyed more success at the position at his current weight..
    Last edited by hawker84 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3879
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:39 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    NFL_Football2013 wrote:He won't be asked to cover much. In addition to that the guy was originally a safety. Im sure he has some understanding of it.


    so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.


    I think your overthinking things. Most 3-4 OLB's rush the majority of the time. So it's not that big of a deal. I recall a interview with PC during OTA's talking about Irvin and dropping coverage and he made it sound as if Irvin was picking up that part of the game quickly.

    I'm certainly excited to see how it all shakes out this preseason. The LBer's and DL should really be interesting to watch this preseason-- How will Toomer, Bradford, Morgan fit into things? What roles will the rookie DT's claim by the end of training camp?[/quote]


    you have to be able to set the edge as an OLB against the run as well, 3-4 olbs cant just pin their ears back and rush, you would get exposed. and you have to mix up who rushes and who doesnt.
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:40 am
  • NFL_Football2013 wrote:


    so now that other teams know that he wont be covering much, wont they just adjust protection because they know he is coming, in a 3-4 look it gives you an advantage of surprise of who the 4th rusher will be.

    Covering as an OLB is different than covering as a Safety. The time he doenst rush and has to cover Jimmy graham, vernon davis etc...... then what, i dont think his community college coverage skills will suffice.


    If the opposing team has to keep one extra man in to block, that's one less person who's going across the middle.

    And while I don't think Seattle is going to ask to him to cover Graham or Davis (or even Jared Cook), I bet he has the speed to keep up with those guys at the very least.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14391
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:43 am
  • I say, "why not"? The signings of Avril and Bennett gives us the flexibility to do some creative things.

    My biggest concern with Irvin at the Sam is teams running the ball right at him.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7436
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I say, "why not"? The signings of Avril and Bennett gives us the flexibility to do some creative things.

    My biggest concern with Irvin at the Sam is teams running the ball right at him.


    ...this
    they ran at him as a DE, if they run at him as an OLB, he wont be able to set the edge and bye bye
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 am
  • NFL_Football2013 wrote:
    if he could be a better von miller, why not start him out as an LB to begin with?
    and really tony cline......thats the best example we can hope for?


    Look at DeMarcus Ware and his stats out of college. He is a few pound heavier and a bit shorter and slower. In college he played DE/OLB and during the draft he was listed much like Bruce a tweener. Ware is much stronger ( he is a beast) and moved to the DL I see Bruce as a guy who is better suited perhaps at the OLB.

    Last year was not wasted. Learning to play on the line is very valuable and he needed it. Bruce is a guy that plays best in space. I'm jacked about the move even if he is just a part time OLB.
    Bruce is now closer to 257-260 BTW not the 240s in college.
    Last edited by Happypuppy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 am
  • NFL_Football2013 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I say, "why not"? The signings of Avril and Bennett gives us the flexibility to do some creative things.

    My biggest concern with Irvin at the Sam is teams running the ball right at him.


    ...this
    they ran at him as a DE, if they run at him as an OLB, he wont be able to set the edge and bye bye



    He'd have Red Bryant (most likely) in front of him setting the edge, so I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2363
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 am
  • It will be very interesting to see how he develops as an OLBer. I really hope he exceeds at it as it will allow him to become more versatile thus allowing him to see the field more often.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 10831
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:17 am
  • jlwaters1 wrote:
    NFL_Football2013 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I say, "why not"? The signings of Avril and Bennett gives us the flexibility to do some creative things.

    My biggest concern with Irvin at the Sam is teams running the ball right at him.


    ...this
    they ran at him as a DE, if they run at him as an OLB, he wont be able to set the edge and bye bye


    He'd have Red Bryant (most likely) in front of him setting the edge, so I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.


    The alignment of linebackers depends on the offensive formation - so if the strong side of the offense is away from Big Red, so will be the Sam.

    But I imagine what they envision for Bruce is filling the Sam role in obvious passing downs. It is fun to imagine a pass rush package when we have Clemons, Avril, Bennett (at DT) and Irvin (SAM) on the field at the same time.

    I would expect Malcolm Smith -- who is a more traditional LB -- to see the majority of snaps at Sam as he is better against the run.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7436
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:33 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.



    This was my thought on this as well. With Clemons out and Irvin facing suspension, we'll still be looking pretty good for pass rush. When Clemons comes back and Irvin is off of suspension, it would be a struggle to get all of these guys on the DLine at the same time. I don't see Irvin getting much needed experience competing with Avril and Bennett, who are not only more refined pass rushers and run stoppers, but they have more experience.

    As for the size thing, I don't buy it. Irvin wasn't that much smaller than Clemons, and he actually has a larger frame. Look at the pictures from the OTA's; Irvin looks about 25-30% bigger than Clem when both are standing together, so he's gained significant weight this offseason.

    As for coverage, the word was that Irvin played Safety in High school. If he was half way decent, that should give him the coverage skills he needs to survive at LB.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3350
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 am
  • dontbelikethat wrote:My main concern are his coverage skills.


    Didn't Irvin play Saftey while he was at Junior College?

    I love this move personally.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 18809
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:29 am
  • Is he going to have like an Aldon Smith rookie year type of role? non starter but situational pass rusher
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:23 am


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:34 am
  • Anyone suggesting this move has nothing to do with Irvin's abilities is kidding themselves. There's a reason we went out and signed several $$ DEs. We're putting him in a position to succeed with his speed. I doubt he'll be starting during TC, Carroll understands he's out for the first 4 games anyways and he has yet to prove anything at OLB.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

    RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7073
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:36 am
  • Makes sense because we used Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing--both linebackers--in the Leo role at USC. It's basically a hybrid role anyway.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4561
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Re: Irvin to OLBer
Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 pm
  • Where did the quote come from in the original post? Did Pete ever come out and say Irvin will compete for the starting job at LB? As others have said, the comment about him not being big enough is strange and not something I can imagine Pete saying.

    I don't think we will know exactly what's going on with the Irvin/LB thing until training camp and more likely until the season starts and Irvin returns in game 5.

    I have a hard time believing that Irvin is going to become a starting outside LB. Obvious passing downs? No doubt that we will see Irvin at LB occasionally. Every other snap of the game? I doubt he is a better LB than Smith and Wright.

    I understand that if Irvin plays Sam he will always have Red in front of him (the Leo end plays weak side), so that will help with run defense. I also see the advantage of having pass rush come from the other side in our base defense (base defense all the pressure has been coming from the weak side).

    It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and what exactly Pete has planned.
    User avatar
    amill87
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1331
    Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information