Irvin to OLBer

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Coach Pete Carroll says he plans to move defensive end Bruce Irvin to outside linebacker, where he'll compete with Malcolm Smith for the starting job.
Irvin will still see looks as a defensive end in nickel pass-rushing situations, but isn't big enough to ever earn a full time role on the defensive line. Carroll brought up Irvin's versatility as being extremely valuable to the team, and added "We're a 4-3 personnel system that plays 3-4 looks," indicating Irvin will get plenty of pass rush opportunities at outside linebacker. Expect Irvin to win the job from Smith after serving his four-game suspension for PEDs.

Smart move by Carroll. Im sure they will use him a lot like Von Miller, move him around and he will primarily rush. I like it.

hawker84

Reaction score
I love it, i don't see him as a legit DE, too small... in order to succeed there, he'd really need to develope solid moves other than the bull and speed rush.. I love the move... How is his coverage skills though?

Subzero717

Reaction score
I don't buy the part about him not being big enough to play line full time. I think that was obviouly opinion but mixed in so it may be construed as something Carroll may have hinted at.

A

Anonymous

Now THIS, is news!

Finally, something to discuss. I think this move is not only logical, but as Carroll indicates, the looks we give an offense are all over the place. Having a guy like Irvin, with the athleticism he has, coupled with the strength and depth of our new-look D-line, it makes great football sense.

I'm kinda with Cali on the size thing, but what if Pete just needed a "media reason" that insures most folks looking in from the outside make good sense out of the move? Second guessing floating around is not good press.

The 4-game suspension with toss a wrench in things a bit, but give Bruce until mid-season...

Highlight reel!

themunn

Reaction score
Irvin's not big enough YET.
I don't think it's ourwith the realms of possibility he continues to grow, both as a player and an athlete into that role.

As of now we have Bennett, Clemons and Avril though, with Bryant for rushing downs. There simply isn't room for him on the D-Line when he lacks the ability to stop the run, so it makes sense to move him where he'd be more effective

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure its to much of news. Pete said a few months ago Bruce would be the stand-up rusher. I think he called it "spinner" or something odd.

It makes alot of sense. Irvin is a raw dude with tremendous instincts rushing the QB. But, instinct can get negated quickly lined up across NFL tackles. So, remove Irvin from the tackle a bit through standing up.

Irvin has always looked like a stand up rush guy. To me anyways.

uncle fester

Reaction score
IS this news? Didn't Pete say something along these lines during OTAs, shortly before Irvin was busted? I thought the idea was that he'd split time between DE and LB, according to need, and play by play?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this, to me this justifies all the haters from last year who said he was too small to play DE and those that thought he was a reach. But I can see how a rush LB in a 3-4 is actually more valuable that a Leo DE in a 4-3, so If he can pull it off and be productive not only will we get a ton of sacks from our LB position but it could make Pete and John look like Geniuses.

BI has the speed to play LB but I question his instincts in coverage and worry that he really might have a hard time finding a position in the league where he can use his pure athletisism to reach his max potential.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Should be an interesting experiment. Perhaps Carroll and Quinn think some time at the position will help Irvin better be able to diagnose the offensive plays.

A

Anonymous

News?

I thought folks would get what I'm saying a touch more. Given the amount of filler posts lately about everything from what we do with toilet paper to arguing with worthless Niner fans, I think having a real Seahawks-related thing to discuss is quite refreshing.

One more thing about the move...
I think this may have more to do with Winfield than it does the new D-line guys. Just got done watching the EmDiggy vid and I don't know why I forgot about our new friend Antoine as a threat to rush from the edge.

Think about it, on passing downs we now have a nickel and a converted DE with break-neck speed and comfortable make-up coverage down the middle with ET and with Kam helping deep. Our defense is just going to be downright filthy whatever Pete and Quinn do with the looks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
With his speed, and lack of size, I really like the idea. Our coaching staff knows exactly what they are doing. If Norton doesn't like what he sees, he won't hesitate to tell PC it's not working.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Indicated by Coach during OTAs, but confirmation is always nice to have (especially on an internet forum). Should be fun watching him roam the field and attack from different angles.

Couple that with Early free ranging, and QBs are going to have headaches trying to process what could happen.

Needless to say, I'm very excited to see what Quinn brings to the table and how all of this unfolds. I know Pete orchestrates the defense for the most part, so it'll be interesting to see the dynamic between the two coaches. I imagine they're both drooling over the fact they can pretty much do anything their minds conjure up (with scheme/play design).

Go Hands.

seabowl

Reaction score
As many of you are probably aware I was not on board with drafting Bruce due to his inexperience. IMO switching his position after only one year is troubling. Yes he had a decent number of sacks but he dissapeared in way too many games. I'm sure Bennett and Avril have something to do with the switch, however, to learn a new position this early on to me says he probably is not what they envisioned when drafting him. I hope for everyones sake he'll be the next LT and not the next Aundray Bruce.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
HoustonHawk has a great point about Winfield helping with coverage or tackling mistakes by Irvin.

I'll add that Irvin will be lining up at OLB behind or right around Clem or Avril at LEO. Both those guys can set the edge on running plays and Irvin with his speed can go in for the kill, knife right through to the RB. Let alone the blitz possibilities with Irvin coming behind Clemons and Winfield covering the backside.

Boner

SNDavidson

Reaction score
A means of having almost all of our pass rushers on the field at the same time.

oasis

Reaction score
My concern is that while Irvin is getting OLB reps in training camp, I assume Malcolm Smith is running with the second team.

So then what happens in games 1-4, when Smith is lacking reps with the 1st-team defense?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Interesting move, does this mean Pete is still looking for a starting DE in the market?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2y09u8gs said:
I don't think the move has as much to do with Bruce's strengths and weaknesses as it does our increased depth on defense. Last year, we were thin at DE. This year, we've loaded up with the additions of Avril and Bennett. Bruce has too much unique talent to keep him off the field, so Pete's going to find a way to get these guys looks. Theoretically, with Bruce at OLB, we could have a package that features Clemons, Avril, Bennett and Bruce on the field at the same time. Can you imagine being an opposing QB or O-lineman in that situation? Also, OP's quote points out that he'll still get looks at the DE position in obvious passing situations, so he still retains his role from his rookie season. Looks like we're training him to be an even more versatile weapon on D.
:13: