Seahawks all time overrated and underrated.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Interesting...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• "Seattleites seem to remember Stevens fondly,"

HUH?

I hate dumb statements like this that pretty much make me question the point of view of the entire article.

I don't know anyone who remembers jeramy stevens as anything but a screw-up as a pro.

I also think it's unfair to put lofa on the 'overrated' list; he was regarded with what I feel was an adequate amount of credit in the time he was healthy, and when he was injured and couldn't get it done anymore, it was understood and accepted by the team and fans alike, and nobody was sitting around overblowing his impact.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, most Hawk fans couldn't stand Stevens as I seem to recall.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• Hawknballs wrote:"Seattleites seem to remember Stevens fondly,"

HUH?

I hate dumb statements like this that pretty much make me question the point of view of the entire article.

I don't know anyone who remembers jeramy stevens as anything but a screw-up as a pro.

I had that exact same quote ready to bring up.

Also, it's nice of him to call Alexander overrated because of what he didn't do after 2005 but conveniently leave off what Alexander did do in the years previous before his HoF line gelled together. It also makes no mention of the fact he rushed pretty well to the right side of the O-line.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• In general it's dumb that Alexander seemingly gets dinged because he had a good O-line. Like it's a detriment to his achievements. I'm like anyone, disappointed at how his final years here went but come on.

Also, I dunno how Zorn is 'overrated'. Nobody here in Seattle reveres him because he was an elite QB, they respect the fact that he was our first franchise QB. I dunno how you equate that connection with the team as being 'overrated'. Nobody here would argue much that he's probably the franchises' 4th best QB behind Hass, Krieg, and Wilson. Again, calling him 'overrated' because Largent was good is dumb.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Can we please get Mack Strong on the underrated list? Blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Outside of the true fans around here, I don't see the dude getting much love. Maybe I'm just being a homer because I graduated from Georgia, but I doubt it. The guy was a straight TANK.
    How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they will all show and talk about how good the old one was...
    hawker232
    NET Rookie

• hawker232 wrote:Can we please get Mack Strong on the underrated list? Blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Outside of the true fans around here, I don't see the dude getting much love. Maybe I'm just being a homer because I graduated from Georgia, but I doubt it. The guy was a straight TANK.

Agree 1000%. Mack Strong is one of my all time favorite Seahawks.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• What Hawk fan didn't love Mack?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker232 wrote:Can we please get Mack Strong on the underrated list? Blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Outside of the true fans around here, I don't see the dude getting much love. Maybe I'm just being a homer because I graduated from Georgia, but I doubt it. The guy was a straight TANK.

Totally agree.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I sure live for the day that Steve Hutchinson is enshrined in the Ring of Honor.

:laugh:

Just in case, yeah :sarcasm_off:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I didn't read it in detail, but the picks don't strike me as that bad actually (especially coming from a national article).

Edit: I also think it's important to remember that this list is probably based on the national perception of certain Seahawks players and not the local perception. For example, the national perception of Shaun Alexander is far, far different than the one he gets at home. I think it's very fair to say he's overrated on a national level and maybe a touch underrated by the local fanbase.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• I feel like this is a really really bad list
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• Alexander I would not put on the list. The style of running he had was reminiscent of Eric Dickerson who had the same rap. Long legs that get pounded on in the trenches, long bodies, and they don't have excellent leverage. A they seem to like off tackle to the outside or sweeps. He did not like to take any more punishment than he had to, but is that such as better idea for a yard or so?
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

100% AGREE! Mack has and will always be my favorite Hawk. Dude was amazing and stayed with the same team for his entire career.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Everyone loved Mack, he was anything but underrated by seahawk fans.

I agree with the 3rd post on Lofa.... putting a guy on the list due to poor performance while injured shouldn't take away what he did while healthy...

also I may be alone on this, but if anything I think Stevens actual FOOTBALL ABILITY was underrated by fans BECAUSE of the crap he pulled off the field.... it simply made it hard to root for him.

And who underrated what Leon brought to the team? He was a fan favorite.
    bigcc
    NET Veteran

• Looking at the article from a national perspective--Zorn is overrated. Highly. He wasn't that good of a QB and the writer is correct; being the first QB that gave the fans hope he's remembered more fondly than he should be. No QB with a record like his should be in a Ring of Honor unless he did something off of the field that made him qualified to then make the ROH list.

The rest of the list I wasn't impressed with, except Hass who I also believe is underrated from a national perspective. I also agree that Mack Strong should have made the underrated list.
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I don't know if Stevens is the most hated Seahawk of all time, but he's probably at least top 3. For good reason- he was a terrible person off the field and inconsistent on it. Then again, he was a pretty big part of our SB run, and he was strong in the red zone for most of his career. I thought he was a really good blocker when he wanted to be, and I still think he's the most physically talented TE we've ever had. And though his statistics weren't great, he had the best statistics of any TE we'd had up to that point when he left in 2007.

Kinda hard to look at the body of evidence and think most over-rated. Most hated, sure, but definitely not most over-rated.

I'd also defend Lofa. He was a damn good linebacker until the injuries started rolling in. Granted, you wouldn't expect an undersized LB to stay healthy forever, but had he put up 10 seasons like his first 3, he'd be a slam dunk HoFer. For all the love Chad Brown (deservedly) gets, he never had a season that impressed me quite as much as Lofa in 2007.
    Last edited by kearly on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• There is a fundamental problem with a list like this. Underrated or overrated by who? The fan base or by the national perspective? Those would be two entirely different lists.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

• Seattleites seem to remember Stevens fondly, when in reality Stevens should be recognized as the law-breaking, pass-dropping oaf that he was...

Seriously? Way off base on that.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

In his first preseason game, Strong had the attention of Steve Largent, who used to call them with local staff. He said something like "I sure like this Mack Strong kid. That is a great football name to have. I really hope he makes the team".

Of course then Largent would follow it up with harsh and direct criticism of the opposing team's starting QB when he was done playing. "When you are done for the game, you shouldn't be on the sidelines in your uniform, you should be in the shower and coming back to the sidelines in a suit. That is just unprofessional" in reference to Testaverde.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sinclair and McCrary were underrated as well.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• I think another player that is underrated was John L. Williams. The guy was a good hard runner and no one was better than catching passes out of the backfield.
    rigelian
    NET Starter

• rigelian wrote:I think another player that is underrated was John L. Williams. The guy was a good hard runner and no one was better than catching passes out of the backfield.

I disagree on Williams being underrated.

I remember John L. getting a lot of love by the major network broadcasters.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• I think every team they have done has had one player "overrated" just to stir up comments.
    49ers---Joe Montana
    Raiders- Tim Brown
    Broncos- (its the opposite) John Elway is Underrated
    Colts- Peyton Manning
    Ravens- Ray Lewis

just to name a few, and then they just put bad players on the overrated list. I feel like the authors started watching football in 1995
    NFL_Football2013
    NET Bench Warmer

• Seems to me that Jacob Green was perhaps the most underrated player for the team. It's like he never existed nationally.
    Thread Killer
    NET Bench Warmer

• SA belongs on the over rated list. Unless there was glory to be had like a TD he ran like a pussy. At the goal line he could be a tough runner take a hit but at the 50 yard line he frequently cowered to avoid contact

Stevens should not be on the list. Kind of hard to be over rated when you are not rated very high to start off with

Bobby Engrams name crosses my mind for under rated
    warden
    NET Veteran

• Author is off base on quite a bit. Bringing up Alexander's 2006 season as Hutch being the only factor without mentioning the foot injury is wrong. Springs had a marginally worse sophomore season than Richard Sherman with one less INT and three less passes defensed. His junior season was not that bad either. Injuries started slowing him down after year four. Much of the Galloway detractors are based largely on how he handled the contract situation with Holmgren.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information