Seahawks all time overrated and underrated.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
"Seattleites seem to remember Stevens fondly,"

HUH?

I hate dumb statements like this that pretty much make me question the point of view of the entire article.

I don't know anyone who remembers jeramy stevens as anything but a screw-up as a pro.

I also think it's unfair to put lofa on the 'overrated' list; he was regarded with what I feel was an adequate amount of credit in the time he was healthy, and when he was injured and couldn't get it done anymore, it was understood and accepted by the team and fans alike, and nobody was sitting around overblowing his impact.

OP
OP
Seahwkgal

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Yeah, most Hawk fans couldn't stand Stevens as I seem to recall.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1cyrqkej said:
"Seattleites seem to remember Stevens fondly,"

HUH?

I hate dumb statements like this that pretty much make me question the point of view of the entire article.

I don't know anyone who remembers jeramy stevens as anything but a screw-up as a pro.

I had that exact same quote ready to bring up.

Also, it's nice of him to call Alexander overrated because of what he didn't do after 2005 but conveniently leave off what Alexander did do in the years previous before his HoF line gelled together. It also makes no mention of the fact he rushed pretty well to the right side of the O-line.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
In general it's dumb that Alexander seemingly gets dinged because he had a good O-line. Like it's a detriment to his achievements. I'm like anyone, disappointed at how his final years here went but come on.

Also, I dunno how Zorn is 'overrated'. Nobody here in Seattle reveres him because he was an elite QB, they respect the fact that he was our first franchise QB. I dunno how you equate that connection with the team as being 'overrated'. Nobody here would argue much that he's probably the franchises' 4th best QB behind Hass, Krieg, and Wilson. Again, calling him 'overrated' because Largent was good is dumb.

hawker232

Reaction score
Can we please get Mack Strong on the underrated list? Blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Outside of the true fans around here, I don't see the dude getting much love. Maybe I'm just being a homer because I graduated from Georgia, but I doubt it. The guy was a straight TANK.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
hawker232":12vw7dmc said:
Can we please get Mack Strong on the underrated list? Blocked for three 1,000 yard rushers. Outside of the true fans around here, I don't see the dude getting much love. Maybe I'm just being a homer because I graduated from Georgia, but I doubt it. The guy was a straight TANK.

Agree 1000%. Mack Strong is one of my all time favorite Seahawks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
hawker232":e02hb8dg said:

Totally agree.

sutz

Reaction score
I sure live for the day that Steve Hutchinson is enshrined in the Ring of Honor.

:laugh:

Just in case, yeah :sarcasm_off:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I didn't read it in detail, but the picks don't strike me as that bad actually (especially coming from a national article).

Edit: I also think it's important to remember that this list is probably based on the national perception of certain Seahawks players and not the local perception. For example, the national perception of Shaun Alexander is far, far different than the one he gets at home. I think it's very fair to say he's overrated on a national level and maybe a touch underrated by the local fanbase.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Alexander I would not put on the list. The style of running he had was reminiscent of Eric Dickerson who had the same rap. Long legs that get pounded on in the trenches, long bodies, and they don't have excellent leverage. A they seem to like off tackle to the outside or sweeps. He did not like to take any more punishment than he had to, but is that such as better idea for a yard or so?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
hawker232":1nbf4qzg said:

100% AGREE! Mack has and will always be my favorite Hawk. Dude was amazing and stayed with the same team for his entire career.

bigcc

Reaction score
Everyone loved Mack, he was anything but underrated by seahawk fans.

I agree with the 3rd post on Lofa.... putting a guy on the list due to poor performance while injured shouldn't take away what he did while healthy...

also I may be alone on this, but if anything I think Stevens actual FOOTBALL ABILITY was underrated by fans BECAUSE of the crap he pulled off the field.... it simply made it hard to root for him.

And who underrated what Leon brought to the team? He was a fan favorite.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Looking at the article from a national perspective--Zorn is overrated. Highly. He wasn't that good of a QB and the writer is correct; being the first QB that gave the fans hope he's remembered more fondly than he should be. No QB with a record like his should be in a Ring of Honor unless he did something off of the field that made him qualified to then make the ROH list.

The rest of the list I wasn't impressed with, except Hass who I also believe is underrated from a national perspective. I also agree that Mack Strong should have made the underrated list.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't know if Stevens is the most hated Seahawk of all time, but he's probably at least top 3. For good reason- he was a terrible person off the field and inconsistent on it. Then again, he was a pretty big part of our SB run, and he was strong in the red zone for most of his career. I thought he was a really good blocker when he wanted to be, and I still think he's the most physically talented TE we've ever had. And though his statistics weren't great, he had the best statistics of any TE we'd had up to that point when he left in 2007.

Kinda hard to look at the body of evidence and think most over-rated. Most hated, sure, but definitely not most over-rated.

I'd also defend Lofa. He was a damn good linebacker until the injuries started rolling in. Granted, you wouldn't expect an undersized LB to stay healthy forever, but had he put up 10 seasons like his first 3, he'd be a slam dunk HoFer. For all the love Chad Brown (deservedly) gets, he never had a season that impressed me quite as much as Lofa in 2007.

KK84

Reaction score
There is a fundamental problem with a list like this. Underrated or overrated by who? The fan base or by the national perspective? Those would be two entirely different lists.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seattleites seem to remember Stevens fondly, when in reality Stevens should be recognized as the law-breaking, pass-dropping oaf that he was...

Seriously? Way off base on that.