Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Richard Sherman is an amazing young man.
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 am 
* NET Hottie *

He just posted this nugget on FB.
Quote:
I'm often asked why I care so much about helping kids. The answer is always simple. "I want to leave this world in a better place than when I entered it." ‪#‎BlanketCoverage‬

He really is a class act in my book. :th2thumbs:

Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman is an amazing young man.
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 am 
NET Veteran

Sherm is the man, no doubt. And I love his involvement in both the Compton and Seattle areas, especially with the youth of America. However, one question begs to be asked... who are the jerks who seriously ask him why he cares about helping children? Must be people who work for ESPN, who by the way are no doubt trying to spin this into an anti-Sherman piece as we type. Sherm being the good guy isn't good for the angle they're sellin, which is why the mainstream media and the public doesn't know about Sherm's contributions to society, off-the-field.

Whatever, I like it better this way. Keep the chip on everyone's shoulder that got them here in the first place. From people sleeping on Hustle Wilson, to people doggin' Sherm... it's much more fun this way.

Last edited by NYCoug on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 am 
USMC 1970-77

I've often figured that the smack talk was for show and for the game, not a reflection of his real persona.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 am 
NET Veteran

He's a talker - thats for show!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

It's obvious if you see Sherman anywhere outside of gameday (or being interviewed by a douche like Bayless) that the trash talk is merely an act. Like one of my all-time favorite temporary Seahawks John Randle, the trash talk was an element of his game that acted as a self-motivating force on top of the already HoF talent. A deadly combination on gameday. But off the field? Class acts, teddy bears even.

I always hear people say, "Oh but I bet you would hate Sherman if he played for another team."

I actually wouldn't. The players I don't like are the ones who act like thugs on AND off the field. To me, there's a big difference between game time shtick and it being part of your everyday personality.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm 
NET Veteran

Well he's no Skip Bayless, but at least he's trying.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 pm 
NET Veteran

Sherman with all his trash talking gets the media attention. Now that he has their attention he is channeling it towards his foundation

Genius

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:44 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

Aros wrote:
I always hear people say, "Oh but I bet you would hate Sherman if he played for another team.

I have to say that if Sherman went somewhere else after being a Hawk, I would still like him and enjoy his behavior. However, if he would have been a Niner since day 1, I probably wouldn't appreciate Sherm so much. His play, indeed. His talk would probably bug me.

I totally love his game, the guy is an exceptional corner, but he doesn't even have 2 full seasons under his belt. Sherman could ascend and that is just amazing. Great player on and off the field combined with intelligence

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

I think the Legion took things further than necessary with all the talk, but at least it had a purpose. It was to serve notice to the league and whip up the fans.

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:30 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

Thats awesome! Keep it up Sherm.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 pm 
NET Veteran

Seahwkgal wrote:
He just posted this nugget on FB.
Quote:
I'm often asked why I care so much about helping kids. The answer is always simple. "I want to leave this world in a better place than when I entered it." ‪#‎BlanketCoverage‬

He really is a class act in my book. :th2thumbs:

That is something I only aspire to on my good days (which are few and few between) pure class is what that is. So happy he's ours.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Sherman understands that ultimately the NFL is entertainment. That's what he does. All the trash talk, the Real Rob stuff, the Skip Bayless stuff.....it's all entertainment and he understands that better than most players. Sherman seems to have a genius for it. He has turned the spotlight and the microphone on himself and he is using the media to promote himself, his team and his causes. I admire people who know how to turn the media's game on itself. Use them the same way that they use you. The window of opportunity is only so big.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
* NET Baller *

He also bought a homeless guy McDonalds in Renton, I remember him telling that story, no one wants to focus on things like that though, dudes a really good guy. Its also a shame that the ESPN interview devolved into what it did, he wanted to talk about his charity work, and all they wanted to do was focus on the negative.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 pm 
NET Rookie

Quote:

Take a stance against PED's Sherm. His comments in the Vancouver article still bugs me. I don't care about the half, figure of speech, or any of that. What he didn't say is that kids shouldn't take PED's and thats what bugs me. The tone of the article was more about everyone does it; so it is what it is.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:32 pm 
NET Rookie

loafoftatupu wrote:
I have to say that if Sherman went somewhere else after being a Hawk, I would still like him and enjoy his behavior. However, if he would have been a Niner since day 1, I probably wouldn't appreciate Sherm so much. His play, indeed. His talk would probably bug me.

I totally love his game, the guy is an exceptional corner, but he doesn't even have 2 full seasons under his belt. Sherman could ascend and that is just amazing. Great player on and off the field combined with intelligence

Come on now, don't sugar coat it. If you were a Niner fan you would dislike him.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have him on my team with the skill he possesses along with his charity work, which I've followed, but his antics rub me the wrong way sometimes.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

To me, Sherm and Gary Payton are the same. Both stellar, top level players who talk(ed) trash on game day. It's in their DNA. Yet, get them off the field or court, they turn out to be magnificent human beings.

I love that.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 am 
NET Rookie

Love that Gary Payton pic with Jordan.

Catching a Bo Jackson baseball. Kingdome, centerfield, over the cannon.
Jim Presley with a full count, 2 out, down by 3, bottom of the 9th Grand Slam.

My all time favorite sports memory
"The Seattle Seahawks are Super Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!"

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 am 
NET Veteran

JaiSeaSea wrote:
Love that Gary Payton pic with Jordan.

Yeah, he looks like hes exchanging pleasantries for sure. :sarcasm_on:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:23 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

Comeinpeace wrote:
loafoftatupu wrote:

Come on now, don't sugar coat it. If you were a Niner fan you would dislike him.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have him on my team with the skill he possesses along with his charity work, which I've followed, but his antics rub me the wrong way sometimes.

I have never had a problem with Niner players. Even the ones that were annoying. TO was a guy that annoyed me, but he backed it up like Sherman.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:22 am 
NET Rookie

... if Sherm would have been a niner...

It got me thinking. What if he was and then, in his 2nd year Harbaugh came in as Coach. He would still have the same skills, but there probably wouldn't have been the same opportunity considering their past. Maybe he'd never have been given a chance. Maybe he'd have been traded. ... or maybe I'm completely wrong and he'd be in the same situation...

Another perspective would be to consider other teams/coaches. Pete is lumped into the category of a "player's coach." I think most of us agree that's a simplification but I think we'd also agree that, if Sherm were a Patriot, he wouldn't be half as entertaining. Look at when Moss went through NE. He was great on the field, but pretty boring off.

So I wonder if the intersection of the player and the organization, at just the right time, where both sides effectively elevate the other, will come into play at resigning time. In my mind, I can't imagine that our front office will be able to come in so high that he wouldn't expect another team to beat a Seahawks offer. That said, his ability to maximize his impact with charity work, in the media, potentially a private business/entrepreneur opportunity... at the same time as playing his role on the team here in Seattle might be a key driver in keeping him.

... just thinking out loud ... and hoping...

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 am 
NET Veteran

That's a reasonable theory Chrispy.

Another is the team's 'always compete' philosophy allows talented players the opportunity to display their talents quickly and quicker than might be possible elsewhere.

Encouragement to advance up the ladder if you can get it done is part of the philosophy of the team. Thus a talent like Sherman isn't forced to languish as a backup if he can successfully challenge the guy ahead of him on the depth chart.

My genuine sense is the real Sherman is a far different animal than the persona created by the media; he quietly seems to be a very genuine kind hearted man who has a superior intellect instead of the big mouth blowhard the press is quick to attempt to colour him as being.

Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. Until the OLine is strengthened the team will remain weak.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:44 pm 
NET Starter

Earl Thomas talking about Sherman, from an article about the celebrity softball game:

"I'm glad he's doing this, because a lot of people take him for the Sherm he is on the field, but he's totally different off the field," Thomas said. "You can't say enough about him.

"You have to be confident, you've got to be like that when you're playing football," Thomas added. "I don't want him to change. I always say, 'Be you. This is what got you here, stick with it.' But off the field he's humble, in the classroom he's humble."

Source: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201307 ... /707089933

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:03 pm 
* NET PITA *

warden wrote:
Sherman with all his trash talking gets the media attention. Now that he has their attention he is channeling it towards his foundation

Genius

Think you have it right.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:47 pm 
NET Starter

I say bravo! oh yeah and :49ersmall:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:02 am 
NET Rookie

Met Sherm yesterday at the 12th Man Tour. Was doing autographs and pics apparentely weren't allowed. We got to the front and I said I had nothing to sign and just wanted to shake his hand and maybe get a pic of him holding my newborn baby. He immediately sprang up with a huge smile and basically snatched my daughter outta my girls hands. Ended up getting a whole bunch of pics. We also talked about how much of a goof Revis is and how we both re-watched the ATL game this week and how choked it left both of us. Also met Branton Sherman who was sitting next to him eating a burger, I think I was the only one who recognized him and he was seemingly pretty stoked about it haha. Love this team !

Attachment:
Sherm.jpg
Sherm.jpg [ 248.84 KiB | Viewed 446 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:35 am 
NET Veteran

That's awesome you got T-Pain to hold your baby.

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:40 am 
* NET Hottie *

She is going to treasure that picture her whole life. How cool. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am 
* NET Philistine *

Sherman is Maaaaan. Shermaaaan?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am 
NET Veteran

Standford didn't send Sherm that scholarship offer solely for his football skills.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:04 am 
NET Rookie

And for anybody wondering about onfield production, from Espn.com today.

Seahawks Pass Defense
With Sherman On/Off Field
ON OFF
TD-Int 11-20 7-2
Comp pct 56.8 66.7
Yds per att 6.7 7.3
Total QBR 37.0 72.4
>> Since 2011 Regular Season

All I can say to that is WOW ! As much as I love Earl Thomas, RW3, Beastmode, Percy Harvin, or anybody else, as far as I'm concerned, Sherm is our best player. Seeing stats like this just proves it to me

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:23 am 
NET Veteran

Hey 12th, I was up there as well. My friends (Ryan and Tam and Andy) live up there and ran the Canadian Seahawkers booths etc. Got to play some flag football, meet Sherm, Red and Baldwin. All were super cool, and Sherm is truly a classy guy. It's funny how everyone else in the country thinks he's a punk etc. Not the case at all.

Also, he handled the Punk Niner and Packers fans w/total class too. That Niner fan needed a good throat punch. Classless, but not a shocker.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]