Richard Sherman is an amazing young man.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
He just posted this nugget on FB.
I'm often asked why I care so much about helping kids. The answer is always simple. "I want to leave this world in a better place than when I entered it." ‪#‎BlanketCoverage‬

He really is a class act in my book. :th2thumbs:

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sherm is the man, no doubt. And I love his involvement in both the Compton and Seattle areas, especially with the youth of America. However, one question begs to be asked... who are the jerks who seriously ask him why he cares about helping children? Must be people who work for ESPN, who by the way are no doubt trying to spin this into an anti-Sherman piece as we type. Sherm being the good guy isn't good for the angle they're sellin, which is why the mainstream media and the public doesn't know about Sherm's contributions to society, off-the-field.

Whatever, I like it better this way. Keep the chip on everyone's shoulder that got them here in the first place. From people sleeping on Hustle Wilson, to people doggin' Sherm... it's much more fun this way.

sutz

Reaction score
I've often figured that the smack talk was for show and for the game, not a reflection of his real persona.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's obvious if you see Sherman anywhere outside of gameday (or being interviewed by a douche like Bayless) that the trash talk is merely an act. Like one of my all-time favorite temporary Seahawks John Randle, the trash talk was an element of his game that acted as a self-motivating force on top of the already HoF talent. A deadly combination on gameday. But off the field? Class acts, teddy bears even.

I always hear people say, "Oh but I bet you would hate Sherman if he played for another team."

I actually wouldn't. The players I don't like are the ones who act like thugs on AND off the field. To me, there's a big difference between game time shtick and it being part of your everyday personality.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Well he's no Skip Bayless, but at least he's trying.

warden

Reaction score
Sherman with all his trash talking gets the media attention. Now that he has their attention he is channeling it towards his foundation

Genius

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Aros":2rhd4ghq said:
I always hear people say, "Oh but I bet you would hate Sherman if he played for another team.

I have to say that if Sherman went somewhere else after being a Hawk, I would still like him and enjoy his behavior. However, if he would have been a Niner since day 1, I probably wouldn't appreciate Sherm so much. His play, indeed. His talk would probably bug me.

I totally love his game, the guy is an exceptional corner, but he doesn't even have 2 full seasons under his belt. Sherman could ascend and that is just amazing. Great player on and off the field combined with intelligence

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think the Legion took things further than necessary with all the talk, but at least it had a purpose. It was to serve notice to the league and whip up the fans.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3gmvujbn said:
He just posted this nugget on FB.
I'm often asked why I care so much about helping kids. The answer is always simple. "I want to leave this world in a better place than when I entered it." ‪#‎BlanketCoverage‬

He really is a class act in my book. :th2thumbs:
That is something I only aspire to on my good days (which are few and few between) pure class is what that is. So happy he's ours.

Hawk Haole

Reaction score
Sherman understands that ultimately the NFL is entertainment. That's what he does. All the trash talk, the Real Rob stuff, the Skip Bayless stuff.....it's all entertainment and he understands that better than most players. Sherman seems to have a genius for it. He has turned the spotlight and the microphone on himself and he is using the media to promote himself, his team and his causes. I admire people who know how to turn the media's game on itself. Use them the same way that they use you. The window of opportunity is only so big.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He also bought a homeless guy McDonalds in Renton, I remember him telling that story, no one wants to focus on things like that though, dudes a really good guy. Its also a shame that the ESPN interview devolved into what it did, he wanted to talk about his charity work, and all they wanted to do was focus on the negative.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score

Take a stance against PED's Sherm. His comments in the Vancouver article still bugs me. I don't care about the half, figure of speech, or any of that. What he didn't say is that kids shouldn't take PED's and thats what bugs me. The tone of the article was more about everyone does it; so it is what it is.

Comeinpeace

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3udlgwtw said:
I have to say that if Sherman went somewhere else after being a Hawk, I would still like him and enjoy his behavior. However, if he would have been a Niner since day 1, I probably wouldn't appreciate Sherm so much. His play, indeed. His talk would probably bug me.

I totally love his game, the guy is an exceptional corner, but he doesn't even have 2 full seasons under his belt. Sherman could ascend and that is just amazing. Great player on and off the field combined with intelligence

Come on now, don't sugar coat it. If you were a Niner fan you would dislike him.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have him on my team with the skill he possesses along with his charity work, which I've followed, but his antics rub me the wrong way sometimes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To me, Sherm and Gary Payton are the same. Both stellar, top level players who talk(ed) trash on game day. It's in their DNA. Yet, get them off the field or court, they turn out to be magnificent human beings.

I love that.

Richard sherman  04112013

Payton

Garypayton

url2.jpeg

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Comeinpeace":txqwnjxu said:
loafoftatupu":txqwnjxu said:

Come on now, don't sugar coat it. If you were a Niner fan you would dislike him.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have him on my team with the skill he possesses along with his charity work, which I've followed, but his antics rub me the wrong way sometimes.

I have never had a problem with Niner players. Even the ones that were annoying. TO was a guy that annoyed me, but he backed it up like Sherman.

chrispy

Reaction score
... if Sherm would have been a niner...

It got me thinking. What if he was and then, in his 2nd year Harbaugh came in as Coach. He would still have the same skills, but there probably wouldn't have been the same opportunity considering their past. Maybe he'd never have been given a chance. Maybe he'd have been traded. ... or maybe I'm completely wrong and he'd be in the same situation...

Another perspective would be to consider other teams/coaches. Pete is lumped into the category of a "player's coach." I think most of us agree that's a simplification but I think we'd also agree that, if Sherm were a Patriot, he wouldn't be half as entertaining. Look at when Moss went through NE. He was great on the field, but pretty boring off.

So I wonder if the intersection of the player and the organization, at just the right time, where both sides effectively elevate the other, will come into play at resigning time. In my mind, I can't imagine that our front office will be able to come in so high that he wouldn't expect another team to beat a Seahawks offer. That said, his ability to maximize his impact with charity work, in the media, potentially a private business/entrepreneur opportunity... at the same time as playing his role on the team here in Seattle might be a key driver in keeping him.

... just thinking out loud ... and hoping...