Carpenter Benching 445 lbs

MysterMatt

Reaction score
That's grand, but I'm more interested in how strong his legs are.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
haters gonna hate.

Im sure when he is pounding dudes into the ground next season most around here will be saying...yup...thought he would be awesome all along, just needed to stay healthy.

nsport

Reaction score
We've all said this a hundred times - but after a full roster rebuild, don't we have unwavering faith in our FO?

I would say since Carpenter is still here, he must be doing some things right. Enough so, that it's worth taking the time to bring him to an elite level. I think it's conjecture on what those things could be - but throw out a few of them:
- Playbook knowledge
- Thinks the right way
- Done everything that's asked / great attitude
- Workouts / Weight control / Size
- Flexibility (RT, OG)
- Practices show improvement
- Rapport with teammates

I think we all remember him being road graded in pass protection his rookie year. Is that realistic to think he should have been ready? Maybe! But the fact he's still here means something.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The guy was healthy all through college. I ave a good feeling about his future here, he just needed to get to a good health level before the season started and I think this will be the first year he actually is.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not worried about his talent. I could care less that he washed out at Tackle; that's why Tackles are rated so highly....you can always slide them inside and utilize them usually.

I don't think he's snake bit, or injury prone, as this has been all about his one knee. The problem is, it's now become a recurring knee injury. I just hope this slow progress (or lack of progress that we've heard about) is more about the coaching staff bringing back Carp slowly than his inability to get back on the field.

pehawk

Reaction score
He was never drafted to be a Tackle. Pay attention, kids.

He's my sleeper this year, dudes a mauler, in the mold of the 90's Cowboys.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
nsport":1ruo590a said:
... don't we have unwavering faith in our FO?

No.

They're human, just like the rest of us. Although I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable, I never agreed with their management of Carpenter's late season knee reconstruction.

I would be similarly critical of them pushing Clemons back as early too. The risk of never having a functional Clemons again (or more precisely the risk of having to rely on all of the remaining defenders to provide their demonstrated pass rush) is simply too high to warrant those extra 3-6 games at the early part of the season. It could conceivably take a couple (more) years worth of high draft choices and UFAs to get to a point where Clemons isn't doing this on his own.

I don't have to be a professional to disagree with them. It's not a requirement. And I'm not wired that way to just 'Trust in <blank>'. I expect them to make mistakes because that's the nature of the business. Good FO's are right more often but they are still frequently wrong.

nsport

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2ax8hx9d said:
nsport":2ax8hx9d said:
... don't we have unwavering faith in our FO?

No.

They're human, just like the rest of us. Although I don't pretend to be as knowledgeable, I never agreed with their management of Carpenter's late season knee reconstruction.

I would be similarly critical of them pushing Clemons back as early too. The risk of never having a functional Clemons again (or more precisely the risk of having to rely on all of the remaining defenders to provide their demonstrated pass rush) is simply too high to warrant those extra 3-6 games at the early part of the season. It could conceivably take a couple (more) years worth of high draft choices and UFAs to get to a point where Clemons isn't doing this on his own.

I don't have to be a professional to disagree with them. It's not a requirement. And I'm not wired that way to just 'Trust in <blank>'. I expect them to make mistakes because that's the nature of the business. Good FO's are right more often but they are still frequently wrong.

The original "In ____ we trust" is a bit tongue-in-cheek - but they do have an undeniable remarkable track record. The point I was trying to draw out is the fact that Carpenter could easily be replaced based upon performance on the field and the roster/cap commitment due to him. But the FO must see something tangible besides the "dead money" attached to 2013 as the only reason to keep him around and try to make him serviceable. (Reference: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... carpenter/)

kira

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1pfv2k25 said:
haters gonna hate.

Im sure when he is pounding dudes into the ground next season most around here will be saying...yup...thought he would be awesome all along, just needed to stay healthy.
Your right because that is the biggest knock on the guy, but who cares that everyone on this site says the guy is good just needs to be on the field... You are 100% sure he will be healthy and will be able to come on here and say See I told you so.....

Happypuppy

Reaction score
MysterMatt":119ey2j3 said:

They have to be pretty strong he is well over 300. I'm impressed with the young man. He has been busting it in the off season

Remember all the people saying Unger was a bust? I see Carp having a good season

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3fc89y2n said:
MysterMatt":3fc89y2n said:

They have to be pretty strong he is well over 300. I'm impressed with the young man. He has been busting it in the off season

Remember all the people saying Unger was a bust? I see Carp having a good season

And Okung, and Tate...

Gotta give it three years. You really can't evaluate boom/bust until then.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kira":3qtcqphf said:
T-Sizzle":3qtcqphf said:
haters gonna hate.

Your right because that is the biggest knock on the guy, but who cares that everyone on this site says the guy is good just needs to be on the field... You are 100% sure he will be healthy and will be able to come on here and say See I told you so.....

"You're" right, that is exactly my plan.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":f746l829 said:
kira":f746l829 said:
T-Sizzle":f746l829 said:
haters gonna hate.

"You're" right, that is exactly my plan.
I don't know but he does sound similar to Choom...just saying it takes 2-3 seasons to have a solid idea of what a player really is, many times, even longer depending on circumstances.

HawkWow

Reaction score
nategreat":1j14wqpm said:
HawkWow":1j14wqpm said:
Looks like 405 from my vantage.

Done that.

Mmmmm, boy you so strong ;)

...and hetero! ;)

I realized after posting that, it probably sounded arrogant and I'd likely take some heat.
No arrogance here..... more like flat on my back, facing another major surgery because of lifting heavy. I miss it, I'm medicated and I made the mistake of posting while medicated. Thanks for stepping on my neck.. ;)

Back on topic...If he makes 53, I am confident this will be Carpenter's break out year. Why? Because he won't make 53 if PC and Cable think it won't be his break out year. If he succeeds, it will be like a bonus at this point.

Latest posts