Surprise rival for seahawks...

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Surprise rival for seahawks...
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:24 pm
  • The team that will give seahawks biggest trouble won't be 49ers. In fact, I think hawks will take them down quite handily. Its going to be the St. Louis Rams. Quick receivers have given hawks secondary fits at times and rams WR will have one of the quickest tandems in Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey, even if they are rookies. I have have a feeling that they'll start running no-huddle that Bradford used to play a lot in college too. It may be a shootout between hawks and rams.
    jake206
    NET Starter

Re: Surprise rival for seahawks...
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:25 pm
  • Bradford needs to take a big step if he wants to scare any opposing defenses; especially an elite one like ours. The Rams D-line is flat-out scary, though. It's almost unfair, the pressure they get with their base personnel.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:26 pm
  • Meh, we ran up and down the field on the Rams in game 1. It was just one of those odd games. In game 2, the Seahawks rolled out there with essentially a preseason gameplan.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm
  • The secondary is the unquestionable strength of the defense and Rams and Bradford are going to take it apart?

Not buying it. 9ers are the number one threat by far.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:47 pm
  • I don't get why ppl are giving the 9ers so much credit this year. Last year was their year and they blew it. This year, their WR corp is decimated. Its just vernon davis and Kaepernick. 9ers are starting to becoming very one-dimensional. Colin will regress, as teams will start scheming against the pistol better.
    jake206
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:50 pm
  • Yes and no. I will agree with the OP that by midway point of the season the St Louis Rams will be considered the Seahawks greatest intradivisional threat. But I think they will fade some down the stretch. And counting on 2 rookie WRs is a tall order-I get that.

Looking at their schedule I noticed an interesting phenomenon. They play the same teams home/away as we do from the NFC South and AFC South. Odd & Advantage: San Fran. The Niners, however, will lose their first two out of the gate (home vs pack and @ Seattle). Then, in week 4 they travel on a short week to St Louis for a Thursday night game.

THAT game will be critical.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 pm
  • Ill get flamed for this, but the Card scare me a lot more than the Rams. Palmer put up good numbers with a bad line in Oakland. And, he didn't have Fitz and Arians helping him do it.

The Rams last year, were the 2010 Seahawks. They'll be the 2011 version of the Seahawks this year. Offensively they lost their soul and heart in FA.
    Last edited by pehawk on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:52 pm
  • Jake - you are exactly right and forget about the rookies even though by the end of the year they will be contributing in droves. The 2 guys to worry about are Chris Givens and Jared Cook - After that Brian Quick and Pettis who all have experience and then you throw in the quick slot 4.3 WR speedsters Tavon Austin and Stedman.

Add in the fact they upgraded their OL with Jake Long and the center/guard from Alabama and now you have weapons with time for a very accurate Sam Bradford to throw the ball too.

Now with the defense they added a stud LB in Ogletree (who runs like a deer to hunt down QBs) in the first round and McDonald at safety to go with that unreal DL that led the league in sacks last year. Long an Quinn are unreal.

S.F. has issues at WR and DL - I think by mid season the Rams are going to be a force and better than SF.

Take them lightly and you will get destroyed. They were 4-1-1 in the division last year.

And to think they have 2 first round picks in 2014 and 2 more in 2015. This division is going to be unbelievably tough.

Just one man's opinion.
    Last edited by vanillasuede on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vanillasuede
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm
  • No way Cards are in the picture. Carson Palmer??? I don't care if they have Fitz. Rams on the other hand, did very well in the draft this year. And if hawks showed anything, playing rookies doesn't necessarily mean the team will have a mediocre season.
    jake206
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 pm
  • The Rams are one of those teams that can sneak up you. They're the kind of team you should beat, even on an off week, but then they have the Sunday where they surprise even themselves with a win.
    zerohero65
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:16 pm
  • No team in the NFC West is going to be a "surprise" rival. They are all formidable opponents. Perhaps what you meant to say (in the OP) is that the Rams will prove to be more formidable than the 49ers. I can see that. Seems like the Hawks and Rams are already rivals of sorts.
    While I agree SF will fade, I do think both the Rams and Cardinals will be tough as well. It's probably the toughest division in football right now.

I've said for some time that I could see the Rams as the division runner up to the Hawks, so I agree (in general) with the OP. Niner fans don't like to hear that and scoff. But, it's not as far-fetched as they think. The Rams are well-coached, have a formidable defense and added weapons on offense. I seriously doubt that the Seahawks are looking past the Rams (or any other opponent.) So, again, there will be no surprises. The Seahawks are going to respect every opponent - perhaps especially within the division.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:38 pm
  • I don't think the Rams end up with a winning record. 7-9 sounds about right.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 pm
  • I'm on board with there being no surprises out of the NFCW.

I will take the birth of a new rival the Nola Saints. We'll come off our bye week fresh and beat them down at CLink in week 13. Then we'll meet up again in the playoffs (here...again...and we'll deserve the home field...no one will question it), and it will be a much closer game. Of course, I have the Seattle as the owl favs, so they'll get the victory.

Thus, sowing the rival seeds.

Sorry Iron.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 pm
  • While I respect the Rams on defense, I just can't see two rookie WR causing season-long havoc in this division. The talent is there and they may get their lumps in, but consistant route running is going to be a problem as it has been for virtually every other rookie WR in this league.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm
  • The Rams Dline worries me more than any other squad in the division. They owned our OL in the 2 games they played, but we have a lot more options and can move the ball in different ways. They also have a rookie safety and I think we can take advantage of that with our WR corps and Wilson working together for an entire offseason and the addition of Harvin.

The only reason the Cards don't scare me is that they haven't addressed their OL. They won't be running on us so they'll be forced to pass and become more one dimensional. Their OL is putrid in pass protection, and Palmer is not an elusive QB, so I see us beating the crap out of him. Fitz doesn't give us the same problems with Browner or Sherman on him as he did in previous years, and they really don't have a #2.

The Niners are still the most complete team outside of us. Their D is still going to be hard to move the ball on, I think, other than they also have a rookie safety and Harvin tore them up when he played them with Ponder throwing to him. As mentioned, they are going to be hurting on the offensive front with a noted lack of top shelf talent and depth at WR, and will have to rely on the run more. Problem is, even when we know they're going to run, we rarely stop it.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:07 pm
  • The Rams DLine was manhandled by our OLine in game one. Manhandled. Had to average, roughly, 5 or 6 a carry on 1st down. That was a poorly coached game for Bevell, really bad.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:13 pm
  • Until the Rams score more than 1 offensive TD against us in a season, I'm not worried. The Rams might be good in a few years, but people are getting ahead of themselves if they are anointing the Rams as serious 2013 playoff contenders. That defense is pretty good, but their offense is very much in rebuilding mode and they pretty much wiped the slate clean with young players this season. I think they are built to be a pain for SF and SEA since they have built their roster with the division in mind, but they will still get curbstomped by tough teams out of the division just like they have been for years.

Last season they were not formidable- they were a pest. Thing is, bad teams can play tough in the division- it happens all the time.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 pm
  • kearly wrote:Until the Rams score more than 1 offensive TD against us in a season, I'm not worried. The Rams might be good in a few years, but people are getting ahead of themselves if they are anointing the Rams as serious 2013 playoff contenders. That defense is pretty good, but their offense is very much in rebuilding mode and they pretty much wiped the slate clean with young players this season. I think they are built to be a pain for SF and SEA since they have built their roster with the division in mind, but they will still get curbstomped by tough teams out of the division just like they have been for years.

Last season they were not formidable- they were a pest. Thing is, bad teams can play tough in the division- it happens all the time.

Did anyone ever see that bullcrap td they got when they resorted to hiding a player near the sideline? I have yet to see a good replay of that where you actually see what happened. Does it show up on the all-22?
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:18 pm
  • I disagree. It is the 49ers until someone proves otherwise. The talent,depth, and most importantly QB play on the 49ers is so vastly superior to that of the Rams. Harbaugh is a stud of coach; Fisher is an overrated guy who managed to keep a job forever while constantly hovering around .500 (career .538) aside from a random good or awful season. Chris Long gets abused by Breno in the run game every damn game.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:20 pm
  • Op is correct, the Rams will be a formidable team with Long, Brockers and Quinn on the d line. I forget, do they still have Laurenitis at LB? I think their biggest weakness on defense will be at OLB and safety. They will be a good team to pound the rock against once we get though the front four, and that's where our strength will lie. Opening holes up the middle then ripping through the second level.

passing might be a little tough except for when we "pound the rock, then throw it over the top. I think St Louis will be susceptible to the deep ball but great against the short stuff.

Then there's Sam Bradford, who when he had time can be deadly accurate. Hopefully like last year he will sputter in the red zone and turn the ball over. Their run game w will be mediocre early in the year but will slightly improve over time. I just don't think they have the offensive line to open any holes our big boys. Outside runs will be dangerous if we don't contain so maybe it's a good thing Irvin has an early month off to watch and learn.

I could see the Rams going 2:0 vs 49ers and even 1:1 versus us.

We do have the better overall roster and SL is still up and coming but JeffFisher knows how to call games. Dude has a ton of experience. I think he can be predictable though. There is a lot of film on Fisher, and Pete better study it very closely.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Ill get flamed for this, but the Card scare me a lot more than the Rams. Palmer put up good numbers with a bad line in Oakland. And, he didn't have Fitz and Arians helping him do it.

Cardinals are the least of my concern. I do agree that the addition of Palmer will definitely benefit them, especially with the Fitz connection, but their run game is almost non-existent.

Their defense is okay. However, it seemed like when we played them it was soooooft. Maybe it was because they were on a 10 game losing streak or something like that and had no life in them, but with an experienced Russell Wilson the Cards D is a non concern. They just don't have enough talent/experience throughout that side of the football.
    How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they will all show and talk about how good the old one was...
    hawker232
    NET Rookie

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 pm
  • I just think the Cards, with Ariens, will come out gunning every game. They'll be the type to but up 38 one week, and 13 the next. I see us splitting with the Cards. I don't think people realize how awful the Raiders "weapons" were last year, and Palmer put up some good numbers.

They aren't a playoff team, but they got enough to get to 7, IMO.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:43 pm
  • Why are so many people scared of Arians? Because Pagano's cancer--err, his "coaching skills" got him the Coach of the Year award? Going 9-3 with a Colts team that was artificially bad the previous year and that drafted a great QB that was very NFL-ready with one of the easiest schedules ever seen in the NFL isn't something I'm scared of. He very well might be a great coach, but it certainly remains to be seen. I'm more nervous about Fisher than Arians by a long shot, right now.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 pm
  • I'm one that thinks the Rams are poised to turn into serious competition soon. It only takes 1 or 2 of their rookies/underperforming players to step up consistently, and we'll have to be on our toes to hold them off.

Last season most of the NFL talked about us in much the same way they are being spoken of now. Hopefully it takes Fisher awhile to get an elite team going.

Even if they aren't elite for awhile, they have nothing to lose and will play us tough.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm
  • I like Arians in Pittsburgh, good offensive mind. I don't care about last year.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 pm
  • The Lambs demand respect. I doubt we lose any division games at home, though. So we split with them at worst. So it really comes down to the old 'can we beat them on the road?' question. I'd say odds are in our favor, but not by much. I'd assume we'd be like 2-3 pt faves at their house, maybe 6-7 at ours.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 pm
  • sutz wrote:The Lambs demand respect. I doubt we lose any division games at home, though. So we split with them at worst. So it really comes down to the old 'can we beat them on the road?' question. I'd say odds are in our favor, but not by much. I'd assume we'd be like 2-3 pt faves at their house, maybe 6-7 at ours.

+1 the Rams are going to be a good team. I would not be surprised to see them leap frog the aging whiners this year or next. They have a young and talented roster
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am
  • I have confidence we will go 2-0 vs the Rams.
    Both games were tough last year, but in gaining Austin they lost SJ.
    Yes, smaller shifty WRs can play havoc on BB and Sherm, but can they play tough against WT3 and maybe Winfield?
    Our DBs>Rookie WR's.
    Bradford hasn't proven anything.
    Suspect run game.
    Above average D maybe top 10, not elite.
    DangeRuss will be improved over last years games.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 am
  • I've been saying the Rams are going to be tough all year. Bradford is a very good QB who got shellshocked behind a terrible oline. But that oline isn't as bad anymore and he still has great skills. That defense is incredible, however, and gave us fits, even at home.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 am
  • kearly wrote:Until the Rams score more than 1 offensive TD against us in a season, I'm not worried. The Rams might be good in a few years, but people are getting ahead of themselves if they are anointing the Rams as serious 2013 playoff contenders. That defense is pretty good, but their offense is very much in rebuilding mode and they pretty much wiped the slate clean with young players this season. I think they are built to be a pain for SF and SEA since they have built their roster with the division in mind, but they will still get curbstomped by tough teams out of the division just like they have been for years.

For the purpose of the topic, how much of a distinction is there really between "pain", "pest", "formidable?" Pesky can be formidable. Formidable can be a pain... a pest. Perhaps the only suggestion of "serious contenders" might be in the OP with the mention of "surprise rival", but I think the gist of this discussion is more just saying that they could more be the team to reckon with rather than the Niners. That really isn't too far-fetched. Any given Sunday, any given season... there are surprise teams. The Hawks stormed onto the scene in 2012 and people were probably saying not to get ahead of themselves and that they would be good in a few years. I wouldn't say that I'm worried about them either... but, while they may be in rebuilding mode, they are rebuilding with dynamite (ie: Tavon Austin.)
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:56 am
  • On paper, they look better, but we have all seen how long it takes to become a good WR in the NFL.

Plus we have arguably the best, and hardest hitting secondary in football.

I guess all those high draft picks from sucking so long may pay off sometime. Or not.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:57 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:Yes and no. I will agree with the OP that by midway point of the season the St Louis Rams will be considered the Seahawks greatest intradivisional threat. But I think they will fade some down the stretch. And counting on 2 rookie WRs is a tall order-I get that.

Looking at their schedule I noticed an interesting phenomenon. They play the same teams home/away as we do from the NFC South and AFC South. Odd & Advantage: San Fran. The Niners, however, will lose their first two out of the gate (home vs pack and @ Seattle). Then, in week 4 they travel on a short week to St Louis for a Thursday night game.

This is spot on. Counting on rookie WR is silly. Sam Bradford finally gets an OC for 2 consecutive years, but rookie WR are not ideal, and the TE Cook is less than the sum of the parts when you measure his talent against his results.

But that Rams front 7? And the secondary is improving. They led the league in sacks last year. The run game is a mystery, I don't trust Pead or Daryll to excel. But Pead might just make that 2nd year leap. If he does, that is a playoff team, IMO.

They are a flawed, but not deeply flawed. And they have the Niners #.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 am
  • pehawk wrote:I just think the Cards, with Ariens, will come out gunning every game. They'll be the type to but up 38 one week, and 13 the next. I see us splitting with the Cards. I don't think people realize how awful the Raiders "weapons" were last year, and Palmer put up some good numbers.

They aren't a playoff team, but they got enough to get to 7, IMO.

I'm not overlooking the Cards, but in such an anticipated season with a goal of a Super Bowl Championship, I sure hope you're wrong about the Hawks splitting with them. I know we can play around with projected losses all day... but, just saying I don't think the Hawks can really afford to split with the Cardinals. So, what is your projected division record? 5-1, 4-2? The other 10 games? I know they can split with the Cards and all sorts of possibilities remain, but I just think those are games the Hawks can and should win. They are going to need those kinds of games if they hope to get home field advantage. Still, I agree the Cardinals are improved with Palmer and Ariens.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:06 am
  • I think Ariens gets Palmer killed. The O-line is improved, but it isn't going to look good right away. The ex-Pitty rb Mendenhall isn't bringing much toughness.

I think Ariens makes the Cards lose both games to Seattle. Ariens wants to quit on the run, and Palmer takes chances, which is easy pickings for our playmakers. I predict a firts win at UOPS, just because Wilson hasn't lost a 2nd game to anybody yet.

And they lost the DC, and he was the most important coach in Arizona.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:08 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Yes and no. I will agree with the OP that by midway point of the season the St Louis Rams will be considered the Seahawks greatest intradivisional threat. But I think they will fade some down the stretch. And counting on 2 rookie WRs is a tall order-I get that.

This is spot on. Counting on rookie WR is silly. Sam Bradford finally gets an OC for 2 consecutive years, but rookie WR are not ideal, and the TE Cook is less than the sum of the parts when you measure his talent against his results.

But that Rams front 7? And the secondary is improving. They led the league in sacks last year. The run game is a mystery, I don't trust Pead or Daryll to excel. But Pead might just make that 2nd year leap. If he does, that is a playoff team, IMO.

They are a flawed, but not deeply flawed. And they have the Niners #.

I sure hope all who are not concerned about Tavon Austin are correct and that I am outright wrong, wrong, wrong. I just think he's going to be an explosive, electric, threat-on-any-given-play... special player out of the gate. I try to tell myself that he won't be now that he's with the Rams... but he was the unquestionable elite talent at the position in the draft and the type of player that doesn't come along very often. Speed kills. Hopefully the season wears on him. I would gladly take the "silly" label come playoff time.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:09 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:I think Ariens gets Palmer killed. The O-line is improved, but it isn't going to look good right away. The ex-Pitty rb Mendenhall isn't bringing much toughness.

I think Ariens makes the Cards lose both games to Seattle. Ariens wants to quit on the run, and Palmer takes chances, which is easy pickings for our playmakers. I predict a firts win at UOPS, just because Wilson hasn't lost a 2nd game to anybody yet.

And they lost the DC, and he was the most important coach in Arizona.

excellent points
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:17 am
  • I'm not forgetting Tavon, kid is special. A steady diet of bubble screens and smoke screens are going to get him on ESPN a fair bit. But vs the Hawks? watch Percy's highlights from his game against us last year. Teams with lateral speed can make those speed guys play a couple of yards closer to the sideline, and of yet there is no proof Tavon has any of Percy's tough attitude. As a kick returner he scares the hell out of me.

And, rookie. I just don't trust rookies to get it right away. I like that our nickel has been lining up on Harvin for years now in practice as well.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:49 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:I'm not forgetting Tavon, kid is special. A steady diet of bubble screens and smoke screens are going to get him on ESPN a fair bit. But vs the Hawks? watch Percy's highlights from his game against us last year. Teams with lateral speed can make those speed guys play a couple of yards closer to the sideline, and of yet there is no proof Tavon has any of Percy's tough attitude. As a kick returner he scares the hell out of me.

And, rookie. I just don't trust rookies to get it right away. I like that our nickel has been lining up on Harvin for years now in practice as well.

Good point about the rookie WR's not getting it right away. They don't know their route tree that well yet and our secondary will feast on their mistakes. Still, that Rams team is not an opponent we can get overconfident about. They weren't 4-1-1 in THIS division without a reason.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:49 am
  • Stedman Bailey is a route runner and will adapt quickly. Austin is going to be less of a threat to be a game changer by his own play than he will be by drawing attention away from others.

I still think the O-line will be a factor but mostly because it takes O-line time to gel. I also don't know how good it will be at run blocking and right now they don't have a Lynch/Gore type that will consistently get them the tough yards when needed.

I expect to see steady improvement in their offense as they gel and learn to play together and I already think they will sweep the Niners but they will need that continuity and growth added to future draft picks before that are as complete a team as we are right now.

I think they have the best chance in the division to steal a game from us and I also think they are our biggest threat to stop Wilson's undefeated streak at home but they will likely struggle a little more outside of the division and on the road in general than we will.

I know I would rather have football discussions with the Rams fans because they generally are legitimate fans instead of the hoards of Niner trolls that weren't alive for their last trophy but have no problem throwing 5 rings or empty trophy case out there as some sort of legitimate argument.

I know every fan base has it's morons, hell I'm here ain't I but no fan base should be dominated by them like the Niners band wagon. One that will be dismanteled soon. It's going to be nice when they go back to their troll hole and wait for the next good Niner team in another decade again.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:53 am
  • Palmer damn near got killed last year with a Raiders Oline the Cards will at least match, if not surpass. Also, by default, anyone playing in Oakland officially doesn't care about the game anymore. It's the culture in Oakland. So, I think Palmer will surpass a very gaudy and respectable year last year. We'll see.

IMO, the Seahawks offensive line matches up perfect against the Rams front 7 in the run game. Pass protection? Yes, advantage Rams. But, when the Hawks actually schemed against that front 7, Lynch did what he wanted when he wanted to.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 am
  • Adding Fisher, and all those draft picks they have, they should be good for awhile. They are a hard hitting team, and are no joke. It has been many years of crap for them, but I get the feeling they will be as much competition as the Niners the next 4 or 5 years.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:58 am
  • pehawk wrote:I like Arians in Pittsburgh, good offensive mind. I don't care about last year.

But Bowles, on the other hand... the Cards took the guy behind their defensive excellence last year and booted him out the door. And then Arians replaced him with a guy who was AWFUL in Philly. I see the Cards taking a massive step back defensively this year.

As for the Rams/49ers, I'm more worried about the 49ers offense - even without receivers - than anything run by a combination of Fisher/Schottenheimer and led by Bradford. On the flipside, the Rams' D-line is monstrous... but it won't single-handedly win games for them. Sure, the Rams may have improved overall... but so did we.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 am
  • 3 Team race, although I still think the Rams might be one year away from being there w/the Hawks and Niners. That being said, how quickly this division has changed from NFC Worse to by far the best in the NFC.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I like Arians in Pittsburgh, good offensive mind. I don't care about last year.

But Bowles, on the other hand... the Cards took the guy behind their defensive excellence last year and booted him out the door. And then Arians replaced him with a guy who was AWFUL in Philly. I see the Cards taking a massive step back defensively this year.

That move actually made me like Arians more. It was VERY ballsy. A move which, at a cursory glance, looks 50 Shades of wrong (thats for kearly...his favorite book is 50 Shades of Gray...true bill). But, the locker room would've been divided, IMO. And, my gut tells me Horton players will have a very quick burnout rate (even though I like the dude).

I will agree the Bowles hire was a headscratcher. It was a Holmgren move; establish the HC's identity by removing any DC/OC which is simply coordinating as an interview for a HC gig.

The Cards will be a pest...
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 am

The Rams are not a threat...

You have nothing to worry about...

Take them lightly...

Don't gameplan...

Rest your starters...

The Rams are not a threat...
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 am
  • Knock it off, Avenger. Dont come in here trying to be charming and cordial, sir. Be more like the 49er fans.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 am
  • I too think it's a 3 team race, however i'm not quite convinced about SF as i was a few months ago.. Where SEA and STL obviously got stronger in the offseason, i don't see where SF did really.. They have huge question marks at WR and the denfensive backfield, is JS healthy, and if so will he be as effective.. If not will Aldon be as effective..

they're experimenting with VD and the WR position, it's never a good thing when you have to move your star TE to WR, is it?

Gore is older, where they have a great stable of backs, gore is the one that's killed us for the last 2 years.

Kap, great talent, passionate about the game and is a good student of the game, i think all this offseason crap will fade away when the season starts. I feel the on field stuff, slow reads, getting the play called on time will come with experience. I think he'll do just fine...

I watched NFL Sound effects last night of the SB, great competitors on that team, but you can rattle their cage if you come out and punch them in the face like BAL did. I'll give it to them and especially PW, they don't ever stop fighting..

Just on the situation with their WR's and DB's alone i give us the edge, and i think they're going to have a problem with STL as well> purely speculation though..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:28 am
  • You think after one of these:

that Austin and Bailey aren't going to think twice about running across the middle? The greatest slot receiver of our generation had to come out of the game after facing the Legion of Boom, and until proven otherwise, the rookie duo doesn't have that level of toughness.

As for Arizona, Palmer has the yips. He's going to make a lot of costly mistakes against our team.

Edit: That .gif is mesmerizing, isn't it?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 am
  • pehawk wrote:Knock it off, Avenger. Dont come in here trying to be charming and cordial, sir. Be more like the 49er fans.

Bite your tongue.

As if Whiner fans were not annoying enough... now they have the media drooling all over their QB.

I know its straying a bit from the topic, but I thought I'd share this with you guys. Here are the "out of the gate" stats of two NFL QBs:

QB1: 138-214 (64.5%), 1,826 yards, 14 TDs, 6 Ints., 101.5 passer rating, W/L: 6-1 (.857)
    QB2: 136-218 (62.4%), 1,814 yards, 10 TDs, 3 Ints., 98.3 passer rating, W/L: 5-2 (.714)

I think we can agree that these are pretty comparable stats. However, while QB1 received a fair amount of attention, QB2 was treated like a future Hall of Famer.

QB1: Marc Bulger
    QB2: Colin Kaepernick

Feel free to quote these stats to any Whiner fan who tells you that Kaepernick is a Top 10 QB in the NFL after seven starts.
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:32 am
  • Well Avenger, one thing we can all agree on, we hate the flippen Niners!! I hope your Rams knock the snot out of Klapperding and Hairball BOTH times you play.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information