perhaps some good Tackle news... perhaps.

Rocket

Reaction score
"Below are some more news and notes from Carroll's Wednesday presser:

Carroll expects left tackle Russell Okung to have a "real chance" of returning to practice this Friday. Okung, on the team's Injured Reserve/Designated to Return list, could comeback for the team's Week 11 game against the Minnesota Vikings at the earliest.
Carroll described right tackle Breno Giacomini as day-to-day in his recovery from knee surgery. "I would think by next week he would be pretty active in what's going on," he said."

from http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... b610183578

BlueThunder

Reaction score
The only, and I do mean the ONLY good thing about those two being out is that at least our so-called "backups" are getting some valuable in-game experience. So maybe, just maybe they suck a little less if we lose one of our starters again. Once we get our starters back, those backups need to hit the weight room...HARD!

The Radish

Reaction score
I don't think Breno's going to be able to play for a couple more weeks. They were just saying in a post last week that its going slower with him that they thought.

That's why I was so surprised at everyone saying this week.

No there is no link but it was in a string posted here last week.

:les:

TheWalrus

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2st48qhn said:
The only, and I do mean the ONLY good thing about those two being out is that at least our so-called "backups" are getting some valuable in-game experience. So maybe, just maybe they suck a little less if we lose one of our starters again. Once we get our starters back, those backups need to hit the weight room...HARD!

Quoted the wrong guy but no chance we do anything in the playoffs if McQuistan is playing LT.

Cartire

Reaction score
Poor McQuisten. He's a halfway decent guard and a great backup for that position. But he has been so outmatched at LT that no one will remember that.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
Give Baily a feeling chance! This is totally in characteristic of Pete.. He gives low draft picks chances and I can bet my whole life's earnings that he couldn't be worst than McQueenston!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
SundayNiteBlackout":3rdq2403 said:
Okung needs to start pushing escalades. McQuisten needs to look for a job as a subway ticket taker.

McQ lets too many people through for that job too...

Steve2222

Reaction score
I really think we can win these next three games before the bye with relative ease without Percy, Breno, and Okung. Rest them up before the Saints and 49ers grudge matches.

McGruff

Reaction score
Steve2222":nf6z19m9 said:
I really think we can win these next three games before the bye with relative ease without Percy, Breno, and Okung. Rest them up before the Saints and 49ers grudge matches.

That is what we were saying before the Rams game, too. ..

Jac

Reaction score
Has anybody addressed why the Okung toe injury happened in the first place? Was it just a freak occurrence? I guess I'd feel better about an injury where there's an obvious cause that can be rectified. Like his first high anke sprain when somebody landed on him (i.e., hopefully nobody gets awkwardly pushed onto him again). I was actually more worried about his second high angle sprain in that San Diego preseason game when he just appeared to be pushing off. Muscle injuries you can help prevent going forward with conditioning, stretching, etc.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Jac":2unbulgr said:
Has anybody addressed why the Okung toe injury happened in the first place? Was it just a freak occurrence? I guess I'd feel better about an injury where there's an obvious cause that can be rectified. Like his first high anke sprain when somebody landed on him (i.e., hopefully nobody gets awkwardly pushed onto him again). I was actually more worried about his second high angle sprain in that San Diego preseason game when he just appeared to be pushing off. Muscle injuries you can help prevent going forward with conditioning, stretching, etc.

John Clayton actually talked about that some on either yesterday's (or the day before's) Wyman, Mike, and Moore Show. He was asked about injuries throughout the NFL -- specifically the seemingly large amount of ACL Tears in the NFL this year. Throughout the NFL, that figure is way up. Kevin Siefert over ESPN put out an interesting piece on that. Here is a snippet ...

At the time I was still seeking out documentation, but I have it now and it's as staggering as you might imagine. The bottom line: 30 players have already been placed on injured reserve this season because of confirmed torn ACLs, a pace that has already exceeded the total for all of 2011 and has nearly done the same for 2012.

That's right. In all of 2011, according to StatsPass.com via ESPN Stats & Information, confirmed ACL injuries sent 25 players to injured reserve. The figure was 32 in 2012. Those numbers do not include players who suffered a torn ACL but were waived/injured rather than placed on injured reserve.
Source:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/95723/inside-slant-big-spike-in-acl-injuries

So, in 2011 (throughout the NFL) there were 25 players that were lost for the season due to ACL injuries.

In 2012, that number jumped to 32 ... and in 2013 (through 10/23 when this piece was written), there were already 30. With Rice going now, make that 31 players lost for the season [and off the top of my head, I'm not sure if there were any others to go down with an ACL tear in Week 8]. Regardless, that's a staggering number. And we're only through Week 8 people!

His theory on why we are seeing this is that this is a direct result of the Collective Bargaining Agreement limiting the amount of conditioning/workouts that teams used to have. In essence, what you might be seeing is that less workouts means those ligaments and tendons simply aren't getting stretched out the way they used to. Result -- increased tears and injuries. Sounds plausible, but who knows. One thing's for sure, the increase in injuries throughout the NFL is certainly alarming.