NFL Sanctions?

hawker84

Reaction score
SEATTLE PENALTIES COMING? Peter, when is the league going to do something with regard to the repeated four-game suspensions for the Seahawks? Walter Thurmond just got it. Last year it was Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. Bruce Irvin, Allen Barbre, Winston Guy and John Moffitt have all been hit with substance-abuse-related issues since 2011. When does this become a repeat offender type of thing in the league’s eyes?

(Editor’s note: After this e-mail arrived, Browner reportedly got busted again and is facing a one-year suspension.)

—Michael Alexander

It’s a valid question. There is a formula that calls for teams to be disciplined in the form of a fine when more than one player on the team in a year is suspended for violating league policy. Irvin, Thurmond and Browner would be three in one year. The NFL is on record as saying that it will consider docking a franchise draft choices if the poor behavior persists, and so that’s certainly going to be a question for the Seahawks going forward.

Seattle likely will be fined more than $200,000 under the league’s disciplinary formula for teams, given that, according to Pro Football Talk, the fines kick in at one-fourth of the second suspended players’ fine, and rise to one-third of the third player’s fine. If Browner is gone for a year, that’s a healthy fine; he makes $773,000 in base salary.

The solution, obviously, is for players to stop messing up. But for now, owner Paul Allen is going to have to write some checks. And if the league is serious about stopping this behavior or at least trying to, there will be more discussion by the 32 owners about docking draft draft choices for a team with so many violators.

Got this off another board. Besides fines, could we possibly face more diciplinary action from the league if this continues? Perhaps losing Pete for a season like NO lost their coach. Anybody have knowledge of this stuff?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
No way would Pete be suspended for this unless it was proven that the players were smoking weed in the team facility and he was allowing it.

Payton was suspended because he allowed the Bounty stuff to go on by his coaches and players. I believe there was evidence that he turned a blind eye to it. I don't see how they could punish Pete himself for the dumb stuff his players did offsite.

Losing draft choices would suck, though.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That would suck, but the real idiots among all players on this team are an embarrassment. Something's gotta give and this crap needs to stop. Perhaps these penalties are the kick in the ass Pete needs to either get control of his locker room or weed out the bad apples.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1udaz2q2 said:
That would suck, but the real idiots among all players on this team are an embarrassment. Something's gotta give and this crap needs to stop. Perhaps these penalties are the kick in the ass Pete needs to either get control of his locker room or weed out the bad apples.

Pun intended?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
When they fine the Patriots for having hired a murderer I will get behind penalties for the weed.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3dsugsls said:
When they fine the Patriots for having hired a murderer I will get behind penalties for the weed.
Ditto. You read my mind.

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, the team fine and loss of draft choices was in response to the craziness that was happening in Cincy with all the players getting popped for one thing or the other. The team will be fined monetarily. The draft picks are questionable but another slip up this year might see something happen.

Rocket

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pete is a classic example of the coach that ignores last mistakes if he sees an ability to perform?
The substance issues, be they recreational or performance, would seem to follow, right?
Then add in his management style.

There is a downside for an upbeat "comPete" style of coach who gathers cast-offs.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30rp3mgy said:
Or rape, or shooting off their guns, or driving drunk, or beating their wives

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rocket":xcyfl7qm said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pete is a classic example of the coach that ignores last mistakes if he sees an ability to perform?
The substance issues, be they recreational or performance, would seem to follow, right?
Then add in his management style.

There is a downside for an upbeat "comPete" style of coach who gathers cast-offs.

Such as who? Anthony McCoy was busted in college for weed and it cost him but I don't think that's a big deal. It's not Tyrann Mathieu or Janoris Jenkins territory.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":22ae42u7 said:

They fired him as soon as he was arrested

The Seahawks is doing nothing. At least not anything that has an effect on the behavior

They are the employer of their players. If I look at this from a neutral perspective the fine seems fully justified

Time to start adding language to all contracts with penalties and testing above and beyond league minimum. Arizona got to put in extra testing on honeybadger so should be allowed

Rocket

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1giqy34d said:
While I agree whole-heartedly about penalties for weed, it's still a Federal crime so there's some sense to it.

Sadly, there isn't a blood test for rapists, murderers, etc... I wish there was.

Rocket

Reaction score
ivotuk":6gtdzk8h said:
Such as who? Anthony McCoy was busted in college for weed and it cost him but I don't think that's a big deal. It's not Tyrann Mathieu or Janoris Jenkins territory.
It would appear that BB left Denver cuz of failed drug tests. Irvin also had issues. IIRC there were others with different issues.

I don't at all believe weed is the demon some think it is, but I don't get to decide. For now it's use remains over the line... even in WA and in CO to a degree, the stigma remains.

ManBunts

Reaction score
That's a very vague rule "suspended for violating league policy". Monetary fine makes sense, sure, but draft picks, now you're affecting a team's ability to be competitive. If that happens, where do you draw the line? This season alone, and just for substance abuse, the following teams have had multiple suspensions: Seahawks, Jags, Vikings, Colts, Redskins, Giants, Rams. Open that up to other league policy items and that list probably stretches to every NFL team.

And on top of all that, if you levy a penalty like draft picks at a Super Bowl contender team, but not at another, you very quickly start to fuel rumors of favoritism. Or for teams like the Jags or Vikings, how do you rebuild under that penalty? That's a whole PR nightmare Goodell does not need nor want I think.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Pete is the coach and was given the power to make all the decisions. He can cut guys to send a message.

He just might have to show these guys who is boss to make them think twice.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's as simple as cutting guys. The CBA may limit what a coach/GM can do above and beyond the set penalties imposed by the league.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Rocket":sz999n99 said:
Scottemojo":sz999n99 said:
While I agree whole-heartedly about penalties for weed, it's still a Federal crime so there's some sense to it.

Sadly, there isn't a blood test for rapists, murderers, etc... I wish there was.

Yeah a federal crime in the sense that hardly anything will be done about it for your normal every day smoker.. Trafficing lbs across state lines? Sure... but even FEDERAL land has medical marijuana now.. so.. frankly, all of this hoopla is starting to become hypocrisy honestly

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Personal responsibility still exists. The "just say no" approach applies to the individuals choosing the substances, not the boss at their workplace. The league can do whatever it wants, but the team already pays a price by losing the player. Further team sanctions would be excessive.

Future generations will look at current marijuana laws (outside of WA & CO) and company policies similarly to how we look at the social/moral repression of the Puritans: archaic, unfounded, full of irrational fear, punishments outweighing "crimes".

Chopzley

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2k6camip said:
No way would Pete be suspended for this unless it was proven that the players were smoking weed in the team facility and he was allowing it.

Payton was suspended because he allowed the Bounty stuff to go on by his coaches and players. I believe there was evidence that he turned a blind eye to it. I don't see how they could punish Pete himself for the dumb stuff his players did

:roll: seriously?