Why can't I believe??

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
I have been a Seahawks fan since 1983. In that time, I have been conditioned to be pessimistic. There have been so many dissapointments, that I think I am unable to believe we will win big games. The stress is really getting to me, and since I don't get to see most of the games, I rely on ESPN Gamecast for updates. (Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out the online viewing possibilities)

I always want them to win, and wish that I could be a true believer like so many on this board. I would love to hear how any of you dealt with this issue in your own lives.

Always Hopefull

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Don't let the peer pressure get to you. Your fandom doesn't require you to take the rosy outlook. Look at both sides, analyze the matchups, and decide where you stand.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was the same way for so many years. Then Russell Wilson arrived. My stress levels have reduced significantly. This is a great team. Sure there will always be disappointments and losses, but this is an elite team we have. Enjoy the ride!

MagHawk

Reaction score
Exactly! As great as things are going for the 'Hawks right now, there is a big part of me waiting for the bottom to fall out.

Hard to overcome!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Any given sunday is very much real. I never go into a game assuming a W or an L.

It's fine if you don't think we'll win this particular game. The 10-1 record should at least show that we have a chance to win.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":v08rppar said:
Don't let the peer pressure get to you. Your fandom doesn't require you to take the rosy outlook. Look at both sides, analyze the matchups, and decide where you stand.

Montana is right in that your fandom requires nothing but loving the Hawks and wanting them to win.

But you also acknowledge that you have been conditioned to be pessimistic and have asked how others have coped with this kind of thing.

I would point out that while there has been a long history of heartbreaking outcomes that make it easy to be a pessimist, remember that this year's team shares very little with the 2008 team (for example) and even less with any of those middling 90s teams (pretty much just name only).

For us, as fans, our love for the team has overlapped multiple coaches, GMs, owners, and players. That's why we often feel like we might see the "same old Seahawks."

But this 2013 team, they're not beholden to old trends. There's nothing that requires them to follow patterns set long ago. They're new and they're doing things their own way.

This team doesn't get blown out like teams in the past. This team plays a punishing game, rather than a finesse game. This team has a defense unlike any seen in Seattle in 20 years. This team can win on the road against quality opponents. If you can, take heart in the idea that this team BREAKS trends.

hawker84

Reaction score
I go into every game knowing we might lose, but are good enough to win. Like tonight, i think we're the better team and should win, espicially it being a home game. but we are facing a HOF level QB with a ton of weapons, and if our defense doesn't show up with their A game, there's a chance we won't win. What makes me not go crazy is regardless the outcome, we are still in very good shape playoff wise, and still have a good chance with HFA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The reason you've had a hard time believing is simple, we've experienced exactly ONE world championship (Sorry Storm, you don't count) in this city in 40+ years of sports..........and that was before most people here were even born, or even remember.

When a city has such a long history of losing, it's hard to know how to act when we win. Thus the pessimism.

OrFan

Reaction score
Do not watch ESPN. This will solve many problems, and possibly help deter brain failure at an earlier stage than their "experts."

Hawks46

Reaction score
volsunghawk":32gwaxh9 said:
MontanaHawk05":32gwaxh9 said:

Montana is right in that your fandom requires nothing but loving the Hawks and wanting them to win.

But you also acknowledge that you have been conditioned to be pessimistic and have asked how others have coped with this kind of thing.

I would point out that while there has been a long history of heartbreaking outcomes that make it easy to be a pessimist, remember that this year's team shares very little with the 2008 team (for example) and even less with any of those middling 90s teams (pretty much just name only).

For us, as fans, our love for the team has overlapped multiple coaches, GMs, owners, and players. That's why we often feel like we might see the "same old Seahawks."

But this 2013 team, they're not beholden to old trends. There's nothing that requires them to follow patterns set long ago. They're new and they're doing things their own way.

This team doesn't get blown out like teams in the past. This team plays a punishing game, rather than a finesse game. This team has a defense unlike any seen in Seattle in 20 years. This team can win on the road against quality opponents. If you can, take heart in the idea that this team BREAKS trends.

Seriously, this is the post of the month for me. I can write an analysis piece and I will tell you how football is all about indivual matchups and execution, but the fan in me looks at this with glasses tainted from the past. In 2005, and now, sometimes I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Russell Wilson has been curing that for me, but it's still hard to let go. Wilson is clutch like almost no other Hawk QB I can remember. I loved me some Hass but he still would sometimes do something boneheaded (trying to win it all by himself) and perpetuate the stigma of our beloved Seahawks.

The other thing is, when you get too high...it's a lot farther to fall. I have kids now, so I can't get as wound up as I used to, or I could take it out on them when they don't deserve it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
OrFan":c1huxy0i said:
Do not watch ESPN. This will solve many problems, and possibly help deter brain failure at an earlier stage than their "experts."

Isn't the game on ESPN? LOL I just had to go there. But for the pregame, I totally agree.
:thirishdrinkers: :stirthepot:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawks46":3abycry9 said:
volsunghawk":3abycry9 said:
MontanaHawk05":3abycry9 said:

Seriously, this is the post of the month for me. I can write an analysis piece and I will tell you how football is all about indivual matchups and execution, but the fan in me looks at this with glasses tainted from the past. In 2005, and now, sometimes I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Russell Wilson has been curing that for me, but it's still hard to let go. Wilson is clutch like almost no other Hawk QB I can remember. I loved me some Hass but he still would sometimes do something boneheaded (trying to win it all by himself) and perpetuate the stigma of our beloved Seahawks.

The other thing is, when you get too high...it's a lot farther to fall. I have kids now, so I can't get as wound up as I used to, or I could take it out on them when they don't deserve it.

My PTSD (Post-Traumatic Seahawks Disorder) is from 2007, not 2005. But the good news for sure is that this team is competitive no matter what the situation. If they lose, it won't be by much. It's been 37 games since Seattle lost by more than 7 points.

formido

Reaction score
Don't let the peer pressure get to you. There are a lot of negative Nancies on this board and if you'd followed their lead, you'd have been wrong most of this season. Seattle isn't going to win every time. They may even lose tonight. But they're the best team in the NFL and they're significantly favored in this game for a reason. So, look at both sides, analyze the match-ups, and if you think Seattle is more than likely to lose tonight, go back and do it again. The facts favor Seattle.

strohmin

Reaction score
I always predict victory and never bet against them. At the end of the day, you just have to be strong enough to handle defeat and continue predicting victories. When you look at this team, they have never been out of a game in 2 years!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Nobody conditioned you to be anything. Not a pessimist, not an optimist, not anything. You are what you are because you chose to be. Because of what you focus on. So, either change your focus, or get comfortable with your current choice.

Sac

Reaction score
I'm so nervous I've been peeing out of my butt all day. And I'm at work. This is highly inconvenient.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Because you don't want to believe. If you did, you'd be listening to interviews with Richard Sherman. He'll give you the business.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Just remember that this team is unquestionably good enough to beat any team in the NFL. They won't win 'em all, only one team ever did. But, they are 16-2 in their last 18 games and since the beginning of last year their biggest margin of loss was 7 in Frisco in a game they could've and maybe should've won (dropped passes, etc.).

Secondly, it's still entertainment my friend. Is not going to change your wife, your children, your employment situation, how much you pay for car insurance, etc. Will it make tomorrow a better day if the Hawks win tonight? O course, but in the end it's still entertainment though admittedly an aspect of entertainment many of us put our heart and soul into, myself included.