Something about the Niners that is mentioned much

amill87

Reaction score
I was listening to Clayton today on 710 and he was talking about the lack of weapons for Kaepernick and said it is an absolute failure on the part of the Niner's FO.

I remember having to hear about how good their FO and its comparable to the Hawks. Well they have done such a good job building their roster that if they lose one WR, their entire passing offense falls apart.

Flip that around and the Hawks have their two highest paid WR out and their passing offense looks better than ever.

If I'm a Niner fan, I'm gonna try to convince myself there's nothing to worry about but no way I wouldn't be concerned if their FO can maintain that teams roster.

saltyak

Reaction score
Plenty of reason for concern, but on paper you guys have plenty of options. If Crabtree is actually competitive that's a Christmas miracle, tough injury to recover from (I'm an ortho doc and have seen weekend warriors struggle much longer)

jblaze

Reaction score
Yeah I was surprised that Clayton attributed Kap's woes to lack of offensive weapons. Hasn't seemed to stop Russell from having a #1 or any drafted WR's.

I don't see it that way, people step up and you plug them in. They either fit or they don't but it's not all on the WR's to get their plays.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
saltyak":14goasir said:
Plenty of reason for concern, but on paper you guys have plenty of options. If Crabtree is actually competitive that's a Christmas miracle, tough injury to recover from (I'm an ortho doc and have seen weekend warriors struggle much longer)

Like an Udfa and a 7th round pick?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This is where Jim Harbaugh is as much to blame for the 49rs woes, as the 49rs front Office.
The guy was a Quarterback, and as an ex-QB he has dropped the ball on (pun intended) getting his Receivers, Tight Ends, and RB's to make the cerebral connections.
Even though Kaepernick is physically gifted, he's also at fault for not setting the example of a true team leader.
I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to know all the in's & out's in SF, but Harbaugh IS an expert, and their HC.
John tried to help his brother, by getting him an inside track to getting Anquan Bouldin, AND, Bouldin is a Vet that should have been able to impart some wisdom on how to get other Receivers to play their positions better.

Vetamur

Reaction score
amill87":l0cabo6e said:
saltyak":l0cabo6e said:

3 of our receivers were UDFA, including 2 of our top 3 (that are, you know, not injured).. Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and Ricardo Lockette.

cover-2

Reaction score
The 49ers drafted a WR (A.J. Jenkins) in the 1st round in the 2012 draft, a TE in the 2nd round & a WR (Quinton Patton) in the 4th round in the 2013 draft....they have a freak of nature in Vernon Davis at TE and a very good WR in Crabtree. IMO the 49ers have tried to get receiving weapons for their offense.

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
Vetamur":e513ajdd said:
amill87":e513ajdd said:
saltyak":e513ajdd said:

3 of our receivers were UDFA, including 2 of our top 3 (that are, you know, not injured).. Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, and Ricardo Lockette.

I meant two of our top 3

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
cover-2":13fthju4 said:
The 49ers drafted a WR (A.J. Jenkins) in the 1st round in the 2012 draft, a TE in the 2nd round & a WR (Quinton Patton) in the 4th round in the 2013 draft....they have a freak of nature in Vernon Davis at TE and a very good WR in Crabtree. IMO the 49ers have tried to get receiving weapons for their offense.

Not sure if you realized it but you kinda proved my point. They have tried and failed.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Seattle had one of the “worst" receiving corps in football before #3 came to town. Everyone agreed. Sometimes a QB makes his receivers look good, sometimes it's the other way around. Wonder which one applies to Kaepernick?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Krapperdink could have Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald to go with Vernon Davis and it wouldn't matter. He doesn't see the field at an NFL QB level. Keep him from running all over the place and you keep him from hurting you.

Largent80

Reaction score
The idiots had Lockette, we got him back and he is beginning to make plays....... :lol:

StoneCold

Reaction score
mjwhitay":x2mbmb5a said:
Seattle had one of the “worst" receiving corps in football before #3 came to town. Everyone agreed. Sometimes a QB makes his receivers look good, sometimes it's the other way around. Wonder which one applies to Kaepernick?

I think Russell has made them better, but I don't think they were all that bad to begin with. Rice was likely not 100% and now is hurt. Baldwin is a sold gamer. Great hands and field awareness. Tate was still a bit raw until Rice went down and has since stepped up and appears to be maturing each game. Jermaine Kearse has been a pleasant surprise, just needs to work on his hands. Lockett? Speedster, future unknown. Miller just needs to gain some speed so he can score when he gets wide ass open. :)

I think it's Russell's ability to extend plays that makes the big difference. They know there's always a chance and they keep working. They know that on any play the ball might be coming their way, even when they are not the primary target. The play is never dead until Russell, or someone, goes down. That has to influence how you play, how much energy and excitement you feel each snap. I know as a fan that's how I feel.

I keep hearing that CK rarely gets past his first read. If you're not the primary why work hard. Over the years of watching games I can't count the number of times I've seen receivers run their routes with no energy when they know, or at least think, they're not getting the ball. Receivers can be prima donnas, can you say Dez Bryant?

SC

BigMeach

Reaction score
I think my favorite part about our on field top 3 wideouts is 2/3 of them were undrafted free agents.

jkitsune

Reaction score
amill87":1b5np4yp said:
cover-2":1b5np4yp said:

Not sure if you realized it but you kinda proved my point. They have tried and failed.

I think that's his point, too, that despite their being UDFAs or picked late in the draft (except Tate) they're good players. On the other hand, the Niners have invested picks and not gotten production. He's complimenting our wideouts.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
It isn't just the receiving corps that has a lack of depth there. Kaep goes out they have Colt McCoy! Justin Smith goes down they have a group of no names behind him. RB is the one possible exception there but aside from Gore the others have had limited success. Its a proverbial house of cards! With all starters healthy they are a force, take out one of those pieces and they are Texan fodder.

Atradees

Reaction score
Our receivers are amazing too. They seem to catch every ball. Never seen anything as good as that.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The Niners have tried to get more skilled position players in the draft, so of them just have not panned for them like many thought they would.