Percy Harvin and Points of Positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Here are some positive things to think about Percy Harvin.

1a. This is the guy who Adrian Peterson called the best all-around player in the NFL.
1b. When Harvin was traded, AP also said he felt like he got kicked in the stomach.
1c. I wouldn't take AP's opinion for granted, he has mad respect for Harvin.

2a. Harvin in 2012 was garnering attention for Most Valuable Player in 9 games, 8 starts.
2b. As a WR, PH had 62 catches for 677 yards (552 of which were YAC) and 3 TDs
2c. As an RB, PH had 22 carries, 96 yards (4.4YPC), 1 TD
2d. As a WR/RB, PH had 84 touches, 46 of them went for either a 1st D/TD (about 55%)
2e. As a KR, PH had 16 returns for 574 yards (35.9 avg), 1 TD
2f. Overall (in 9 games) PH had 100 touches, 1347 all-purpose yards, w/ total 5 TDs
2g. Christian Ponder was his QB and PH's supporting WR corps was weak.

Now those numbers at a full 16 game clip:

3a. WR, 110 catches, 1204 yards (982 YAC!), probably 6 TDs
3b. RB, 39 carries, 172 yards, about 2 TDs
3c. Around 75 First Downs.
3d. KR, 29 returns for 1022 yards, possibly 2 TDs
3e. Overall, around 178 touches, 2396 all-purpose yards w/ 10 total TDs.

4a. There is no doubt Harvin is a very special player and in his lone appearance he displayed his "tilt the field" ability.
4b. Whether it was his 17 yard catch that showed his focus and athleticism.
4c. Or his 58 yard return which showed his 0-60 explosive play-making ability.
4d. Or his magnetic properties to pull defenders his way, leaving other players to exploit one on one match-ups with better opportunity to make a big gain.
4f. I hate to gush, but watching Harvin, who wasn't even 100% was surreal, nobody on this team can move as gracefully quick and naturally agile other than maybe Earl Thomas.

5a. I can wait for a healed Harvin,
5b. he's only 25,
5c. And just now entering the prime of his career,
5d. I know it might not work out
5e. But if it does, Seahawks have a great all-around player, one that should take their offense to the next level, into an electrifying PowerHouse on the corner of Awesome and Unstoppable.
5f. With a healthy Percy, I like the Seahawks chances to win any shoot-out against any offense including the Broncos at optimum performance.

Throwdown

Reaction score
stephen-a-smith-first-take-skip-bayless-2.jpg

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tough crowd. I have no basis to prove this but I think they are keeping him under wraps until the playoffs. Mostly because he talked them into him playing too early (Minnesota) so once burned twice shy is my opinion.....

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
HawkWOW,

So predictable... right when I saw your name I knew this was going to be about Golden Tate.

Also, I don't know what your beef is and why you have to bring it here but I'm not paying Harvin's salary, if you want to cry about it so damn much take it up with the Seahawk's Front Office.

Furthermore, why don't you save your Golden angst in the actual event and reality that Tate is no longer on this team. And not keep bringing it up 3 times now because I made one hypothetical point of speculative reasoning.

And to add, get some of your facts straight... Tate may be bigger but he isn't definitively stronger

Tate's Combine/Proday: 5'10, 199, 4.42 forty, 17 Bench Reps, 10 foot Broad, 35 inch Vert
Harvin's Combine/Pro Day: 5'11, 192, 4.39 forty, 20 Bench Reps, 10'01" Broad, 37.5 inch Vert

Bench Press is a poor measure of overall strength but at least its comparable.

Broad and Vert jumps measure lower body explosion aka strength. Harvin edges him out slightly, however Tate was 7 pounds heavier at the time of measure. If that makes a differences.

Also, Tate is 25 entered league in 2010 had twilight Hasselbeck, so-so Jackson, and amazing Wilson as primary QBs.

Harvin is 25 entered league in 2009 had ancient great/bad Favre and average at best Christian Ponder.

And all things being equal... yeah they probably are the same player but Harvin is a Master of separation (like a divorce lawyer in Beverly Hills) in the short to intermediate passing game. Tate isn't as smooth or graceful of a route runner yet nor does he have the magnetic properties to draw in multiple defenders on a consistent basis as of yet.

And before you get all huffy and puffy into a rebuttal , remember you're the one who started this, I'm just trying to finish it because you obviously can't let it go. I just don't care, I don't care what Percy makes, I don't care what Tate makes...I'll cheer and root for them just the same... the fact the Seahawks have two extraordinary play-makers on their roster with much of the same skill set and yet still different styles..is that not a great thing to have for a Championship run???

And before you start putting words in my mouth again about Golden Tate like you did in the Random Thoughts thread.... I do hope there is a way Seahawks can retain Tate for the future... and I think they'll figure it out one way or another. Sidney is expendable and should be cut. McQ, Giacomini, and LJP coming off the books adds about 8 million in space, Seahawks have the "next men up" in place. Miller and Bryant could restructure to remain with the team freeing up some $$.

Who really knows...? Let the future Seahawks' organization and the future players and agents figure it out when the road gets to that point.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Nice edit, H-Wow.

First, you take this thread completely off topic.

Secondly, you just made my 2nd response pointless.

MODS, Just kill this thread please.

cacksman

Reaction score
Nice post, I'm certainly not going to be the one to criticize the trade before we at least get into the 2014 season. This front office is all about taking calculated risks, some great(Lynch, Clemons, etc), some not so great(Whitehurst). You take the good with the bad, but there is no denying Harvin's talent.

I just hope he's able to practice for a couple weeks straight going into the playoffs.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
defiantly able to take a risk every year.. that's the position you WANT to be in..
HIGH RISK vs REWARD players at least 1 per year.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think the risk was worth it. We didnt really have an area of great need for the draft and Harvin was probably the best choice for a shot THIS year and in future years. Unfor he got injured again but if he can come back in the playoffs this offense will be even more dynamic. Kearse stepping up was probably something nobody expected and Baldwin returned to his rookie year form. If they knew Kearse and Baldwin would play as good as they have they might not have done the trade IMO

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2fww4a7v said:
I have no basis to prove this but I think they are keeping him under wraps until the playoffs.

This line of thinking is starting to get old with me. If Harvin can be so easily defended just by looking at his tape, then he's not worth the hype and certainly not worth a first-round pick. I think it's really just because he's genuinely hurt.

KK84

Reaction score
I really don't know what people expect to be different when they start another Harvin thread.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19e9g2x8 said:
KCHawkGirl":19e9g2x8 said:
I have no basis to prove this but I think they are keeping him under wraps until the playoffs.

This line of thinking is starting to get old with me. If Harvin can be so easily defended just by looking at his tape, then he's not worth the hype and certainly not worth a first-round pick. I think it's really just because he's genuinely hurt.
You certainly have the right to disagree with my line of thinking but like myself you have no basis for your line of thinking.

As I said for the slow, it's a feeling and opinion given I don't actually read JS/PC's mind? Are you Spock?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2rlkod23 said:
KCHawkGirl":2rlkod23 said:

You certainly have the right to disagree with my line of thinking but like myself you have no basis for your line of thinking.:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":qenna0l8 said:
MontanaHawk05":qenna0l8 said:
KCHawkGirl":qenna0l8 said:

You certainly have the right to disagree with my line of thinking but like myself you have no basis for your line of thinking.:

I said THIS line of thinking, not YOUR line of thinking. Plenty of other people are carrying it too, so don't take it personally.

olyfan63

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1v5aulyy said:
MontanaHawk05":1v5aulyy said:
KCHawkGirl":1v5aulyy said:

You certainly have the right to disagree with my line of thinking but like myself you have no basis for your line of thinking.

As I said for the slow, it's a feeling and opinion given I don't actually read JS/PC's mind? Are you Spock?

Pete has certainly been the master of keeping us guessing about what is really going on.
I suspect it's somewhere between the two, that he could play, but Pete wants 100% mend and is thinking more (prioritizing) about the playoff run and next year than about the rest of this regular season.

I think Pete truly feels he got "suckered" into letting Percy play a little too early, and doesn't want to make that mistake again.

As was pointed out, we all have no real basis, only subjective opinions, and it will be entertaining to see how it plays out.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Josh Gordon just took a quick slant 80 yards for a TD. Can you guys imagine the Seahawks offense with Gordon? He was absolutely available for trade and would have been the WR this team has been looking for. That's the trade the Hawks should have made. Would have cost less than Percy anyways

hawk45

Reaction score
I line up with the POV that we're not keeping him off the field out of coyness. Percy's effectiveness has never depended upon opponents not knowing about him. In Minnesota, their diabolical scheme for him involved getting a pass to him within 1 yard of the LOS and then turning him loose.

Percy's effectiveness has been about jaw-dropping athleticism, which is not something you magically counter after seeing a little tape on his performances.

I also think the fact that he can't practice for weeks after his short stint in the Minnesota game is a basis for injury being the primary concern.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, it does not matter what your potential is.

It matters what the results are.

Thus far, I am a slightly worse WR than Harvin, based on the results (assuming I would contribute zero).

So thus far, Harvin has been a ridiculous waste of money and draft picks, since essentially what he brings to the table are hopes and dreams and not real football results.

What Harvin can do to offset this reality is to produce actual results, not just projected ones. Until he does, he is a waste of resources because he has no production.

Status
Not open for further replies.