12th man flag

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Was it a mistake to have a 12th man flag fly over Candlestick before the game? Was it just the motivation they needed to get them over the hump? Almost like flying bulletin board material in their face.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Nah. It had nothing to do with the loss. If anything, it was our salute to candlestick in our own little way. One final hurrah to basically say "good rivalry, let's keep it going in Santa Clara." I liked it. The Niners don't need any extra motivation to play their asses off against us. We're the Seahawks. They know we matter either way.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind, but I think the players didn't give much of a rip about it. Now, their fans on the other hand, I think it absolutely did help pump them up. It was louder there, by far, than I've ever heard it at Candlestick. I think it was a bad idea to do it, and just helps with the perception that we are "cocky". I kinda hope the 9ers fans do the same thing if they play us up here in the playoffs, 'cause it'll pump the 12th man up even MORE!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
You guys are taking away a negative message from that. The flag was flown for OUR players, to show them we are there for them, even away from home. That's where my money went. If it was truly for any spiteful reason, I wouldn't want to be a part of it.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":cnvaal4r said:
You guys are taking away a negative message from that. The flag was flown for OUR players, to show them we are there for them, even away from home. That's where my money went. If it was truly for any spiteful reason, I wouldn't want to be a part of it.

I'm not saying it wasn't done for all the right reasons, to show support for our guys. I was just stating what I believe was the actual result.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It played a part for sure. If a plane flew a banner reading "GO NINERS!" above Century Link before the game you know damn well the players and fans would have extra incentive.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
Aros":fxrh5hue said:
It played a part for sure. If a plane flew a banner reading "GO NINERS!" above Century Link before the game you know damn well the players and fans would have extra incentive.

I really don't think they needed "extra incentive." If you can't get pumped for a late season divisional matchup against your arch-rivals who you might meet in the playoffs...then you probably have no soul...

The flag was a nice tribute... It had zero effect on the game, in my opinion. The way that freezing a kicker has zero effect on the game. (again, my opinion.)

Flag was a salute to the 12s, done in good faith, for all the right reasons, to celebrate this wonderful rivalry going forward.

If the Hawks had won on a last second field goal, this thread would be praising the ingenuity of flying the flag to "get inside their heads.."

2JZ2NV-9ER

Reaction score
you guys realize that all nfl stadiums have a no fly zone issued 24 hours prior to 1 hour before the game and the NOTAM expires an hour after the game ends right?

the banner plane could have gone over the stadium if it was allowed... it becomes class F airspace and thats usually only open to military or special pre authorized air traffic.

not talking out of my ass, im a pilot and going by canadian air law... so unless anyone actually saw the banner, i doubt it flew over the stadium.

im in YVR and ive heard seatac on westcoast radio vector planes extra low over c-link before the game and try and time it with the anthem. SFO does it too.. if theres no planned military fly over, they usually try and vector and inbound plane over the stadium before the game starts.

going off on a tangent, but i doubt the banner plane actually flew over the stick.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
That was the loudest I've ever heard Candlestick. You can usually hear a pin drop in that place. All the antagonism from our fanbase had to have fired them up. Imagine yourselves in their shoes and reading these stories about banners and Niner fan rallies at Pike Place Market. Not trying to blame anyone, just pointing out the obvious. Their fans were fired up today, more so than for other big games at that stadium.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
2JZ2NV-9ER":2bex6rfa said:
you guys realize that all nfl stadiums have a no fly zone issued 24 hours prior to 1 hour before the game and the NOTAM expires an hour after the game ends right?

the banner plane could have gone over the stadium if it was allowed... it becomes class F airspace and thats usually only open to military or special pre authorized air traffic.

not talking out of my ass, im a pilot and going by canadian air law... so unless anyone actually saw the banner, i doubt it flew over the stadium.

im in YVR and ive heard seatac on westcoast radio vector planes extra low over c-link before the game and try and time it with the anthem. SFO does it too.. if theres no planned military fly over, they usually try and vector and inbound plane over the stadium before the game starts.

going off on a tangent, but i doubt the banner plane actually flew over the stick.

You're speaking my language...Love it!

I don't see any problem with the fly-over personally, it was clearly planned a week or more in advance. CFVR might apply here.