Cliff Avril 2 sacks away from bonus

Cartire

Reaction score
From football insiders, he has to get two more sacks for a $350,000 bonus. And 4 more for a $700,000 bonus.

I can only assume he's gonna try and go lights out these next few games.

drrew

Reaction score
I've become a huge fan....his ability to cause the strip sack is incredible and he does it enough that its no fluke.

His cap number next year is $9.2, Clemons is $9.6, as good as Clemons has been over the last several years (what a trade...Clemons for Daryl Tapp), Avril's play is going to make this a fairly easy decision for the club.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This gives Carroll motivation to play him a few extra snaps and not sit him too early in week 17. $350k is cheap for the morale boost that comes from a coaching staff that cares about player incentives.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Yea, going to be some tough decisions next 2 years as far as who goes and who gets paid.

But go Avril! Dude is going to be hungry next two games.

Barakas

Reaction score
How do bonuses like this factor into the salary cap? Are they already built in or could these somehow put us in trouble with the cap?

sutz

Reaction score
Barakas":yeq5mmc3 said:
How do bonuses like this factor into the salary cap? Are they already built in or could these somehow put us in trouble with the cap?
I have to believe that Schneid has already been planning for this. At least I hope.

KK84

Reaction score
You don't put incentives in without planning to pay them. This is the Seahawks, not Jet Chevrolet.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Barakas":2w9orh6u said:

It depends on if this was considered a "likely to be earned" or an "unlikely to be earned."

My understanding is a "likely to be earned" incentive does get built into this years salary cap number, and if it not achieved then that cap money will become available the next season.

If it is an "unlikely to be earned" incentive that does get achieved it does not initially count against the cap, and depending on the cap situation for that season it can count either against this seasons cap (as long as it does not put Seattle over the cap), or against next season's cap (it it would put us over the cap next year).

Axx

Reaction score
Alot of detroit fans downplayed avrils impact and said he was only good because of suh. They were completly wrong. Avril is a baller

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
AgentDib":29i6xh3s said:
This gives Carroll motivation to play him a few extra snaps and not sit him too early in week 17. $350k is cheap for the morale boost that comes from a coaching staff that cares about player incentives.

Call me a cynic but I believe it gives him motivation to do the complete opposite.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2rzjz27f said:
Call me a cynic but I believe it gives him motivation to do the complete opposite.

For some coaches. Carroll is a total players coach, and plenty of his players would notice if he lowered Avril's snaps and assume the worst as far as the reasoning for it goes. I'm fairly cynical, but I think there's no way Carroll wants to save some of the cap in this fashion, in this situation.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Gives him, who is him? Pete? Is it Pete's money?
If Avril is light's out in practice and let the coaching staff, he is aiming for it ... would be pathetic for the coaches not to try and give him some more work.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see the logic of playing him less to save money. We are trying to win a #1 seed, yes. Is that not worth 350k or even 700k?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Avril needs to be really careful. Players who are overly-aggressive trying to achieve sacks tend to over-run plays, lose gap discipline, and allow big plays going the other way....particularly on screens which they're very susceptible to.

jblaze

Reaction score
Good for Avril. I hope he gets it. He's as good as advertised. Bennett and Avril have really worked out well this year.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I seriously doubt PC wobbles one way or the other on this. Consistent competition is his deal. I doubt Avril's snaps vary either way. We will stick to our rotation based on down and distance.