Article: Pete Carroll Chasing Another Title

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That is freaking awesome. I don't follow college at all; is Douchebaugh eligible for this, too? (How about any other current NFL head coaches?)

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Nobody that hasn't coached for Alabama or Auburn in the last half decade...

HansGruber

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":fx8hyqpf said:
That is freaking awesome. I don't follow college at all; is Douchebaugh eligible for this, too? (How about any other current NFL head coaches?)

Harbaugh never won a national championship. In fact, he never even won the Pac-10 championship. The best he ever did was lose to Oregon and watch them get stomped by Auburn for the natty.

KK84

Reaction score
No current head coach other than Carroll has won a natty as a head coach. In fact, the vast majority of them have never been a HC at the collegiate level

HansGruber

Reaction score
Another fun fact - Harbaugh lost as many games in his few seasons at Stanford as Pete Carroll did in an entire decade at USC. In terms of NCAA coaching, Harbaugh never came close to sniffing Carroll's level of success. Not even close.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HansGruber":1zy5szmb said:
Another fun fact - Harbaugh lost as many games in his few seasons at Stanford as Pete Carroll did in an entire decade at USC. In terms of NCAA coaching, Harbaugh never came close to sniffing Carroll's level of success. Not even close.
I know it isn't popular to talk nice about coach massengill, but Jim, like Pete, rebuilt a program in his own image, and did it well. Jim might have stepped in Gucci loafers when he took the job at SF, but the job he did at Stanford, with their academic restrictions, was incredible.

In fact, I would say that the two coaches switched roles between College and the pros. In college, Pete inherited a reasonably talent laden recruiting gold mine, and made it hum, just as Jim did in Frisco. (I know you lurking 9er fans mostly hate the term Frisco, so there you go) At the Pro level, it was Jim inheriting the talent pool, while Pete arrived in Seattle to a pile of Curry.

Just my opinion, which isn't worth much.

CPHawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":nkffsnu2 said:
RolandDeschain":nkffsnu2 said:

Harbaugh never won a national championship. In fact, he never even won the Pac-10 championship. The best he ever did was lose to Oregon and watch them get stomped by Auburn for the natty.

Field goal as time runs out = stomping?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":16kfia5w said:
HansGruber":16kfia5w said:
RolandDeschain":16kfia5w said:

Considering all the talk leading up to that game was that Oregon played at a pace so fast that Auburn could never hope to keep up, sure. :mrgreen:

HansGruber

Reaction score
CPHawk":1g4f76xp said:
HansGruber":1g4f76xp said:
RolandDeschain":1g4f76xp said:

Wow. Forgot the score was that close. It's funny, when I think back on it, I just recall Auburn's defense stomping the living hell out of that Oregon offense and being in a bar full of sad Ducks. Fairley destroyed that team, broke their backs and their wills. He looked like a grown man playing against children. It was painful to watch and I was actually rooting for the Ducks.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HansGruber":2x9uzbl5 said:
CPHawk":2x9uzbl5 said:
HansGruber":2x9uzbl5 said:
RolandDeschain":2x9uzbl5 said:

Wow. Forgot the score was that close. It's funny, when I think back on it, I just recall Auburn's defense stomping the living hell out of that Oregon offense and being in a bar full of sad Ducks. Fairley destroyed that team, broke their backs and their wills. He looked like a grown man playing against children. It was painful to watch and I was actually rooting for the Ducks.

Guarantee the ducks would of slaughtered Auburn if the teams dont get a whole month off before playing in the game. Not only can you prep a rediculous ammount but I would imagine your conditioning takes a hit as well.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2jc6rteo said:
HansGruber":2jc6rteo said:
CPHawk":2jc6rteo said:
HansGruber":2jc6rteo said:

Guarantee the ducks would of slaughtered Auburn if the teams dont get a whole month off before playing in the game. Not only can you prep a rediculous ammount but I would imagine your conditioning takes a hit as well.

Keep telling yourself that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Oregon got manhandled in that game. Final score didn't reflect the men-against-boys, all-out domination. I also seem to recall Oregon's little sports-car tweeners getting flattened by a steam roller named Alabama. :0

mikeak

Reaction score
The quote is funny because he doesn't have a BSC title. USC forfeited the Bowl Championship in 2005 and the other titles are AP titles and were split.

You can like or dislike that decision by the NCAA (I am not a USC fan but agree that it is BS compared to other violations etc) but in fact they did make the decision so I don't understand the article.

253hawk

Reaction score
The field was absolute crap for Auburn/Oregon. Guys were slipping all over the place all game.

Steve2222

Reaction score
HansGruber":goeydne1 said:

Alright, before you get carried away, lets not forget USC is a much much bigger football program than Stanford is.

I hate the guy as much as the next, but give credit where credit is due. What Harbaugh did to the program of Stanford was nothing short of excellent.

formido

Reaction score
mikeak":xmhnk8n8 said:
The quote is funny because he doesn't have a BSC title. USC forfeited the Bowl Championship in 2005 and the other titles are AP titles and were split.

You can like or dislike that decision by the NCAA (I am not a USC fan but agree that it is BS compared to other violations etc) but in fact they did make the decision so I don't understand the article.

Yes you do. Many of us couldn't give a flying fig about the NCAA's witch hunt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... cs_scandal

We know what happened on the field. If you want to place undue deference in "authority", that's a personal decision. As for me, I remember what authority did to the UW after they won their national title. People hate winners and they'll band together to take them down. Don't be surprised when they come for the Seahawks, too. Spygate, Bountygate...Weedgate? Adderallgate?

From North Korea to the NCAA, unhealthy respect for authority is no virtue.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Steve2222":1gq0utd2 said:
What Harbaugh did to the program of Stanford was nothing short of excellent.

Hang around for a few years, demand a huge paycheck, then quit and leave for the NFL when he didn't get it?

Steve2222

Reaction score
HansGruber":1d2nar4p said:
Steve2222":1d2nar4p said:
What Harbaugh did to the program of Stanford was nothing short of excellent.

Hang around for a few years, demand a huge paycheck, then quit and leave for the NFL when he didn't get it?

What's your point? What does demanding a huge paycheck have anything to do with how he turned a powder puff PAC 10 school into a dominant Power that to this day is still reaping the benfits off the groundwork he put into place?

I did say I hate him as much as the next guy.