Penalties for crowd noise?

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Found this poking about the rules digest.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

253hawk

Reaction score
It's still in the rule books but it's officially not enforced and was eliminated in 2007.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If it were, the Clink crowd would never be quiet and the "game" would be a farce. Once the Hawks go on defense the game would not be played.

The NFL has no better solution than to not enforce it.

Begs the question, though... why is it still on the books?

Hawks46

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2lodsvjv said:
If it were, the Clink crowd would never be quiet and the "game" would be a farce. Once the Hawks go on defense the game would not be played.

Purely to screw the Seahawks if we ever got to another SB.

hawkpride

Reaction score
I do remember many years ago when this rule was enforced, saw it happen against the hawks many a time in the early kingdome days. But if this old mind recalls correctly, the NFL as a league realized this was an unrealistic call as it was to judgmental and could not be equally enforced. Basically it would be up to each referee to determine when the noise level was to loud and could lead to the opinion of the fans that the officials were being biased for whatever team THEY rooted for. (not that we don't already do that)

ceej22

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":20tzq5xq said:

To troll 49er fans

Basis4day

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2sqq6h2b said:

I don't believe it's still in the official books. But the version they provide to fans online is outdated.

253hawk

Reaction score
Asking fans to be quiet is like asking the rain to stop being wet or the air to stop being cold. I can't even believe this is an issue for some people *COUGH*whiner fans*COUGH*

OP
OP
A London Hawk

A London Hawk

Reaction score
It did strike me as somewhat bizarre when I saw it. Thanks for clearing it up guys.

253hawk

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder how non-Americans interpret all of the weird and sheer number of rules of football given the lack of direct exposure they get to it. It's no wonder soccer is so popular with its simplicity, but I'm always a little astonished and flattered when I meet people outside of north america that follow and understand (or at least try to) our great, weirdo sport. Hell, it seems like half the people in the US don't fully understand the rules sometimes.

Basis4day

Reaction score
253hawk":12yejai9 said:
I sometimes wonder how non-Americans interpret all of the weird and sheer number of rules of football given the lack of direct exposure they get to it. It's no wonder soccer is so popular with its simplicity, but I'm always a little astonished and flattered when I meet people outside of north america that follow and understand (or at least try to) our great, weirdo sport. Hell, it seems like half the people in the US don't fully understand the rules sometimes.

Half? WAYYYYYY higher than that. Even the color commentators and coaches don't know the complete ins and outs.

That rulebook is nuts.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
253hawk":3kqm7qca said:

What if I tell you that the number of people in Sweden aware of the "aiding the runner" rule far exceeds the times this rule is ever called? ;)

(I have even officiated a couple of games here ;) )

Seeker

Reaction score
They will bring it back to stop Seattle.
I'm sorry but this browner thing got me really feeling like they are desperate to stop the seahawks from winning this Lombardi.

OP
OP
A London Hawk

A London Hawk

Reaction score
The 12th man might be travelling well, but the the idea that they'll be able to put up CLink levels of noise at Met-Life, even for the SB seems unlikely.

Brahn

Reaction score
Hawks46":3pa198s7 said:
onanygivensunday":3pa198s7 said:

Purely to screw the Seahawks if we ever got to another SB.

The NFL would never do tha.... The NFL would more then likely never do that. To call a penalty on a team for crowd noise at a neutral field is asking for major backlash.

Emerald12

Reaction score
The idea of this is completely idiotic. Teams with good fans should have advantages, teams that can't draw a sell out crowd that actually cares about the outcome should change that, not cry to the NFL that there fans suck and that it's unfair that other teams fans don't suck.

cacksman

Reaction score
Seeker":1a0o0ahz said:
They will bring it back to stop Seattle.
I'm sorry but this browner thing got me really feeling like they are desperate to stop the seahawks from winning this Lombardi.

You think Browner's ruling was made to try and stop Seattle from making the Super Bowl this year?

Browner's backups have ALL played better than Browner has this year. If anything, the ruling might help Seattle in that Carroll won't have any temptation to play Browner over Maxwell, Thurmond, or Lane.