Browner Files Second Appeal

warden

Reaction score
League confidentiality rules state the league is not suppose to say anything about failed drug tests. They are not allowed to say anything until the appeals process is completed. But somehow it always gets leaked by unnamed sources. We should not know anything about Browners suspension until the appeals process is over but yet we have been talking ago for a month now. Plasters on NFL.com. We should of not known abuo last years suspension of Browner and the Sherman stuff either but once again it was leaked. Browner has a case

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
They are going to fight anything from the Seahawks tooth and nail from here on out.

Can you imagine the public perception of their programs if the Seahawks won BOTH times they appealed? The Seahawks would get a reputation of somehow "getting over" and the league would look like it had programs that were so weak it could not defend them. Plus everything would look like more of a flawed mess than it already is.

I don't see how anyone could have expected Browner to win his appeal, because it would have opened the floodgates of public scrutiny on the program the league has, and the ability of certain teams to somehow seemingly circumvent them.

I would be interested in any real lawyers' take on whether Brown can a real case, he clearly looks to have been aggrieved but would there be a strong case and would there be a good % chance of reasonable recovery of damages? (I assume his career is damaged either way now?)

Marvin49

Reaction score
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious...

...do you guys think he still has a future in Seattle? In the NFL?

Barakas

Reaction score
Marvin49":q82j1ei7 said:

He was busted for smoking weed...something that is completely legal in our state. It's not like he stayed up all night drinking, hit a tree in a residential neighborhood on his way to work in the morning and was found in his car passed out with his foot on the accelerator with weed and prescription drugs that weren't his...(hypothetical situation of course).

Is he a dumb arse for risking it....yes. Does Seattle have depth to not bring him back....yes. Would another NFL team want to take a chance with a player of his caliber for what will most likely be a lowered salary due to the suspension....yes.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fwafzwu said:

Good question, don't know. I think the bigger issue here is the NFL's horrifically flawed policies and the inability to prevent this information leaking out.

A) This should never have leaked out, Sherman's should never have leaked out. If it was done properly, no one would ever have heard of Sherman's cause. The evidence was so skewed in Sherman's favor it's laughable they even tried to suspend him.

B) Common sense by the NFL would lead to less "egg on face," IN both of these instances they've acted like unreasonable dictators, unwilling to admit they were wrong when in both cases they were.

It's completely unreasonable to expect an "ex-employee" to show up and take drug tests when he's up in Canada. The NFL needs to reexamine their policies and create stiff penalties for those leaking and reporting faulty information. IN both cases Sherman and Browner's names have been tarnished because of the terrible handling of these 2 cases.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Barakas":3nwn5ezm said:
Marvin49":3nwn5ezm said:

He was busted for smoking weed...something that is completely legal in our state. It's not like he stayed up all night drinking, hit a tree in a residential neighborhood on his way to work in the morning and was found in his car passed out with his foot on the accelerator with weed and prescription drugs that weren't his...(hypothetical situation of course).

Is he a dumb arse for risking it....yes. Does Seattle have depth to not bring him back....yes. Would another NFL team want to take a chance with a player of his caliber for what will most likely be a lowered salary due to the suspension....yes.

I see what you did there...

:D

For the record tho....the prescriptions WERE his and there was no marijuana in the car. He's still a dope for being drunk at the wheel, but what he did was bad enough. No need to add false reports to it.

Barakas

Reaction score
Marvin49":3tgmyveg said:
Barakas":3tgmyveg said:
Marvin49":3tgmyveg said:

For the record tho....the prescriptions WERE his and there was no marijuana in the car. He's still a dope for being drunk at the wheel, but what he did was bad enough. No need to add false reports to it.

Whaaa??? I was simply using a hypothetical situation.....

lol, seriously though, that's what I remember from the day of the incident. I didn't follow the story after that so if Aldon is only guilty of being a drunken idiot then I'll take your word for it. :) I do hope he got the help he needed in the clinic and that this low point has helped him realize he needs to turn his life around.

Oh, and just for the giggles... :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":28dz1xhb said:
They are going to fight anything from the Seahawks tooth and nail from here on out.

Can you imagine the public perception of their programs if the Seahawks won BOTH times they appealed? The Seahawks would get a reputation of somehow "getting over" and the league would look like it had programs that were so weak it could not defend them. Plus everything would look like more of a flawed mess than it already is.

I don't see how anyone could have expected Browner to win his appeal, because it would have opened the floodgates of public scrutiny on the program the league has, and the ability of certain teams to somehow seemingly circumvent them.

I would be interested in any real lawyers' take on whether Brown can a real case, he clearly looks to have been aggrieved but would there be a strong case and would there be a good % chance of reasonable recovery of damages? (I assume his career is damaged either way now?)
Great post. Agree with you 100% on all accounts.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Marvin49":26rwrrvh said:

I don't think he was returning even if this didn't happen. I think the team has been prepping for the Post Browner days the last couple of years.

The NFL future.. that's going to be interesting, really depends on how long this suspension lasts. If this appeal doesn't work, Browner is missing most of next year too. That'd mean by the time he got into camp and played another full season he'd be 31 years old and out of the game for a nice chunk of time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Barakas":1bjmaczq said:
Marvin49":1bjmaczq said:
Barakas":1bjmaczq said:
Marvin49":1bjmaczq said:

Whaaa??? I was simply using a hypothetical situation.....

lol, seriously though, that's what I remember from the day of the incident. I didn't follow the story after that so if Aldon is only guilty of being a drunken idiot then I'll take your word for it. :) I do hope he got the help he needed in the clinic and that this low point has helped him realize he needs to turn his life around.

Oh, and just for the giggles... :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

No worries. What you said IS what was initially reported, but the reports were in error. Dude was still a moron for driving drunk so don't want to excuse that. Just hope the time away has turned his life around. We shall see.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":m9vk9x8y said:

No worries. What you said IS what was initially reported, but the reports were in error. Dude was still a moron for driving drunk so don't want to excuse that. Just hope the time away has turned his life around. We shall see.

Just curious, where do things stand with the weapons charges?

Basis4day

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":3fpds5vq said:
Marvin49":3fpds5vq said:

Plead not guilty in November. Next court appearance is Mid-January.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Basis4day":30xdgcmk said:
E.C. Laloosh":30xdgcmk said:
Marvin49":30xdgcmk said:

Plead not guilty in November. Next court appearance is Mid-January.

Thank you, Basis.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem with if his second appeal is rejected is how long before he goes to court, I have a hard time thinking the league will lift his suspension while it's being litigated. I also heard that the Seahawks will support him through out the process as a person, part of Petes taking care of our own, Sherman said a simular thing in his interview about Idiots.

If the NFL strings it out and he can't get back on the feild next season at his age the skill set can erode quickly if not keeping in playing shape and challanged by NFL players everyday.

Laloosh

Reaction score
chris98251":1my7abo5 said:
Can this get back on Browner and the subject .

Didn't intend to redirect the conversation there, Chris.

chris98251":1my7abo5 said:
The problem with if his second appeal is rejected is how long before he goes to court, I have a hard time thinking the league will lift his suspension while it's being litigated. I also heard that the Seahawks will support him through out the process as a person, part of Petes taking care of our own, Sherman said a simular thing in his interview about Idiots.

If the NFL strings it out and he can't get back on the feild next season at his age the skill set can erode quickly if not keeping in playing shape and challanged by NFL players everyday.

Any player who has a grievance over any aspect of the Policy other than
discipline, including but not limited to claims of disparate treatment, must present
such grievance to the NFLPA (with a copy to the NFL Management Council)
within five (5) days of when he knew or should have known of the grievance. The
NFLPA will endeavor to resolve the grievance in consultation with the NFL
Management Council. Thereafter, the NFLPA may, if it determines the
circumstances warrant, present such grievance to the Commissioner for final
resolution. Such appeal must be presented to the Commissioner no later than
thirty (30) days after the player’s presentment of the grievance to the NFLPA.

Within a reasonable period of time, following the hearing, the Commissioner will
issue a written decision which will constitute a full, final, and complete
disposition of the appeal and which will be binding on all parties.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResou ... Policy.pdf

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think The strikes he got when he wasn't even in the NFL just for not peeing in a cup is clearly wrong..I hope he wins ..

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Why not file a lawsuit now to get an injunction on the indefinite suspension? It certainly appears they have grounds to do so, though I'm not sure if there's a precedent for this sort of thing.

Laloosh

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":ectdpyg8 said:
Why not file a lawsuit now to get an injunction on the indefinite suspension? It certainly appears they have grounds to do so, though I'm not sure if there's a precedent for this sort of thing.

So when he does file a lawsuit, he can say that he exhausted all options provided by the league via the existing process (according to his agent).