An interesting stat

BASF

Reaction score
I was thinking back on the penalties that extend drives that we have committed this season, and I decided to take a look at how it stacks up against the rest of the NFL. We are the fourth worst team in yielding first down by penalty. We are tied for sixth in first downs allowed, but if you didn't factor in the penalties, we would be fourth. A lot of posters here have stated that they think the Niners and Colts game were poorly officiated because of the drive extending penalties, but those games were actually normal for how many first down by penalty we allow with two each. There have been only two games this season with only one first down by penalty (one of which was our last game, so hopefully we are improving at the right time). However, from the Cardinals game in Arizona to the NO game we were giving up an average of 3.5 first downs by penalty with Tampa Bay being the only one where we only gave up our average of two.

The games where we gave up four first downs by penalty were all on the road, so are we to infer that those were road trends and nothing more? Do we not get the benefit of the doubt on the road? Do the refs call the games looser when we are at home? Will this not be an issue at all come playoff time since we are more than likely not leaving Seattle until we make the Super Bowl? Why did no one complain about the officiating in Arizona, St. Louis and Atlanta if we committed twice as many first down granting penalties?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
BASF":1zfvqx76 said:
I was thinking back on the penalties that extend drives that we have committed this season, and I decided to take a look at how it stacks up against the rest of the NFL. We are the fourth worst team in yielding first down by penalty. We are tied for sixth in first downs allowed, but if you didn't factor in the penalties, we would be fourth. A lot of posters here have stated that they think the Niners and Colts game were poorly officiated because of the drive extending penalties, but those games were actually normal for how many first down by penalty we allow with two each. There have been only two games this season with only one first down by penalty (one of which was our last game, so hopefully we are improving at the right time). However, from the Cardinals game in Arizona to the NO game we were giving up an average of 3.5 first downs by penalty with Tampa Bay being the only one where we only gave up our average of two.

The games where we gave up four first downs by penalty were all on the road, so are we to infer that those were road trends and nothing more? Do we not get the benefit of the doubt on the road? Do the refs call the games looser when we are at home? Will this not be an issue at all come playoff time since we are more than likely not leaving Seattle until we make the Super Bowl? Why did no one complain about the officiating in Arizona, St. Louis and Atlanta if we committed twice as many first down granting penalties?
I have watched probably 150 games in the last year, and I am pretty much doubt free that officials cater to home teams, especially in critical situations. I have also observed that there are certain crews that want to get it right, and certain crews that make themselves part of the show.
The only biases I think are real are these:
Certain Quarterbacks look for, and get, flags when they get hit hard. Legal or not. Call it an extension of the Brady rule.
Big receivers get away with a lot more pushing off. Maybe because they don't have to be as obvious about creating leverage.
The league has given instruction to error on the side of caution with safety. They error a lot on the side of safety, as Kam has learned. Which makes it extra headscratching on the occasions they see blatant attempts to injure and do nothing. (usually, in favor of the home team).
There is no consistency league wide on what constitutes pass interference. And many fans have been so conditioned by crap they hear TV announcers say that they don't know what PI is either. Pass interference has become the NFL's version of the MLB variable strike zone.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
On PI, I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I would think the really late flags you see on those calls typically come after the home crowd has given their opinion to the ref.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Reaneypark":20kijue7 said:
On PI, I don't have any hard data to back this up, but I would think the really late flags you see on those calls typically come after the home crowd has given their opinion to the ref.

Yah. Don't get me started on the absurdly late flag throws. :pukeface:

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
First off, I think you actually have to watch the games and observe the actions to determine if it was legitimate, ticky tack, or flat out bogus (non existant) call.

Secondly, I think the main gripe people have is calling the game evenly. People hate to see a penalty (esp ticky tack) called on one team and then a very obvious identical penalty not called on opposing team.

Lastly, I do not believe it is specifically a conspiracy against the Hawks. I watch a lot of non-Hawk games and see the same types of calls there as well. It just seems to me that the refs are trying to keep games, division races, and ultimately the NFL competition as a whole closer. Whether this is just the refs, from the "MAN", or from the real people of power (found in Vegas) IDK. Any time big money is involved via betting, advertising, and TV viewership the opportunity for corruption is always a threat.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
BASF":1vvxjizr said:

With no research what so ever on my part, what I think we are seeing that seems to really jump out this year, that isn't mentioned above, is those drive extending first downs by penalty seem to always come in big situations or on big plays down field after the D has had a tackle for loss and then a sack and it's 3rd and 17 or 22 or something and the Zebras throw a ticky tack flag on one of our DB's or on a DE... And that seems to always lead to a score later in the drive.

I'm probably wrong, but it just seems that way this year. And it's funny how my brother and I can be sitting there watching and both say "Watch, here comes a flag on the next play." and "vuala" there it is...

Laloosh

Reaction score
Actually, they're tied for 3rd (35) for 1st downs on penalties.

Interesting thoughts about the home:away split.

Latest posts