Poll: Should Yards assessed for Holding Penalties be changed

Should Yards assessed for Holding Penalties be changed?

• 10 yards is too damn many! Drop it to 5 fools!

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 10 yards is fine, clean up your game, fools!

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • There should be different yards for how bad the fools are playing!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seahawks cheatin' fools! It should be 20 yards!

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fortunately our team is good enough that they can start at the 10 yard line and make a TD, or can start 1st and 20 and get a first down. But some referees are absolutely terrible and call phantom holding calls when they see a defensive player fall down, or when they feel like they aren't getting enough camera time so need to throw a flag.

10 yards can absolutely kill a drive, and like they say, "holding can be called on every play." I think making it a 5 yard penalty would lessen the effect that zebras can have on the game.

According to nflpenalties.com, there have been 507 holding penalties costing teams 4764 yards, but that doesn't count the yardage from lost plays.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/offensive-holding?year=2013

SuperbOwl

Reaction score
Had this arguement/convertion with a friend. I argued, the every challenge is a game going longer, even though I feel refs depict a game everytime.

I came to 2 conclussions, 2 calls should be challenged.. Pass Interference and Holding down field. Everything at the line they call pretty well. Like coaches have nsaid, holding can literally be called on every play. But downfield, sure, it gets called 2 ways. Just look at the Hawks, they either Let us play, or they flag everything even when they are completely wrong.

Better argument, pay them to be full time and call it consistently. it is game to game with Pete Carrolls physical team. If there was a standard, we wouldn't be talking about it! Last I saw during the lock out $65,000 is a lot, but not by a NFL ref. Especially with all that betting money on the line. Give us FULL Time refs!

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
SuperbOwl":2glboehc said:
Had this arguement/convertion with a friend. I argued, the every challenge is a game going longer, even though I feel refs depict a game everytime.

I came to 2 conclussions, 2 calls should be challenged.. Pass Interference and Holding down field. Everything at the line they call pretty well. Like coaches have nsaid, holding can literally be called on every play. But downfield, sure, it gets called 2 ways. Just look at the Hawks, they either Let us play, or they flag everything even when they are completely wrong.

Better argument, pay them to be full time and call it consistently. it is game to game with Pete Carrolls physical team. If there was a standard, we wouldn't be talking about it! Last I saw during the lock out $65,000 is a lot, but not by a NFL ref. Especially with all that betting money on the line. Give us FULL Time refs!

:shock: It's alright though, we all have rights here.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
SuperbOwl":2sea4rfu said:

I think they are working towards full time officials which would be great because imho, the reason for inconsistency is the part time officiating. Their heads are somewhere else 5 days a week then they show up on the field, tired from working all week, some mentally stressed and probably letting their personal emotions effect their calls.

I agree PI is a huge penalty and making more penalties challengable would be HUGE. We would be 13-1 right now if we could have challenged calls in Indy.

But more than PI calls, I think holding effects a games outcome and if they are calling it one-sided early in the game, the momentum will swing and the game could be over before the half. (Except of course for the Seahawks).

Again, according to nflpenalties.com there have been 223 pass interference calls for 3731 yards. In critical situations this can effect a game's outcome, but I don't see it have the influence of offensive holding penalties.

el capitan

Reaction score
A lot of rules need overhauling and holding is definitely one of them. Losing ten yards on a bogus holding call can kill a drive and is über frustrating. It should be five yards like false starts and encroachment.

Also PI should not be spotted where the foul was allegedly committed, it should be a ten yard offense.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I like the idea of a 5 yard penalty for holding. I also don't think that penalties should be able to be challenged. It's just a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

I also think PI should be a 10 yard penalty and not spot of the foul. Give a little back to the defense.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It's a game of errors as much as anything else. Some flagrant holds get missed and others are just little jersey swipes get calls.
The only thing that pisses me off is when the 'calls' are lopsided and it's so obvious any child can spot it.