Anyone feel like Russell Wilson is overworking himself?

strohmin

Reaction score
He doesnt seem as relaxed or aware of situations as he normally is. Its like he is trying and focussing too hard that he is making mistakes that he usually doesnt. I feel like he just needs to sleep, rest and relax as much as he can this week and recharge himself for the playoffs. Maybe too much film watching isn't necessarily a good thing.

sutz

Reaction score
strohmin":3n9fe8s9 said:
He doesnt seem as relaxed or aware of situations as he normally is. Its like he is trying and focussing too hard that he is making mistakes that he usually doesnt. I feel like he just needs to sleep, rest and relax as much as he can this week and recharge himself for the playoffs. Maybe too much film watching isn't necessarily a good thing.
Actually, kind of the opposite. He was that way before Sunday's game, but I think having a good outing helped him to relax into his game more. He's had a rough month by his standards, but it looked like it's coming together.

Hey, he can rest in February. ;)

ivotuk

Reaction score
His accuracy has been off the past couple of weeks and there might be some fatigue setting in. He has taken a beating this year and has had a bigger load due to running game struggles. So glad we have a week off and he can get some rest.

GET SOME REST RUSSELL! DAMNIT! :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I blame annoying 12s getting on his case about changing headphones. He doesn't look as comfortable in these...

Bctu OKCYAAczW

:sarcasm_off:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The week off will do the whole team some good. Refocus after a brutal home stretch, rest up, and get ready for the real season.

chris98251

Reaction score
This season not only has he been dealing with the workload of being a NFL player but his status and endorsements have also been a lot higher requireing him to spend a lot of time meeting those commitments. We also know he is very community oriented with his volunteer work. I think he is smart enough to find a middle grould and have a lot of the endorcement stuff be done off season and let him commit his in season time more to football. He probably is running on fumes right now.

The NFL see's him as this generations poster child, good looks, good rep, smart and articulate as well as a worker. He's Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Joe Namath all put together.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I'm not a doomsayer, but I think he is a little more dinged up than he is letting on.
He's taken some big shots this year, and some of them have been up under his pads in the ribs.
All these people haranguing him for being a bit 'off'...He's been getting mauled!
Imagine being in a car accident every week...
And every week, you have to get back into the car.
This bye week will help a lot!
Go Hawks!

sutz

Reaction score
Wartooth":zeo68e82 said:
I'm not a doomsayer, but I think he is a little more dinged up than he is letting on.
He's taken some big shots this year, and some of them have been up under his pads in the ribs.
All these people haranguing him for being a bit 'off'...He's been getting mauled!
Go Hawks!
Lot of truth here. Protection was a little better Sunday, but still needs a bit of work.

The week off should help a bunch.

sutz

Reaction score
Oh, and somebody should tell Pete to steal Russ's key to the film room until Thursday or so. ;)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Wartooth":18kyun36 said:
Go Hawks!

Agreed. Russell does seem to be showing some signs of happy feet, like he's getting a little gunshy. I also agree that this bye week will really help him out.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RiverDog":1joc6kq9 said:
Wartooth":1joc6kq9 said:
Go Hawks!

Agreed. Russell does seem to be showing some signs of happy feet, like he's getting a little gunshy. I also agree that this bye week will really help him out.

he needs happier feet imo. Protection has been bad, run game has been bad (until today), receivers struggling to get open, so he should of run more. He's been standing in there too long. I feel so much better when he runs since he is able to protect himself better.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think he's been told to reign it in a bit. Compare and contrast to how he was playing at the end of last season. He's definitely more restrained on the run for example.

I guess the price for making sensible decisions that extend your career is a bit off drop off.

253hawk

Reaction score
That may be Russell's one real weakness is that he's always looking to make a throw even when he has the opportunity, skills, and ability to run more often than not. That's a very rare problem to have at the QB position.

rightbench

Reaction score
needs to quit rolling out when he's gonna scramble. I saw 3 different times yesterday that he had HUGE step up in the pocket and run if he needs to lanes and he immediately rolled out into the defender that the rams were keeping to his R waiting for him.

Rocket

Reaction score
sutz":2gvtear8 said:
Oh, and somebody should tell Pete to steal Russ's key to the film room until Thursday or so. ;)

No way - build him a film room in his damn basement.

ceej22

Reaction score
No. This is how he works.

I don't think we need to read to much into his recent struggles. He is a 2nd yr QB and is bound to encounter new defensive looks from time to time that give him struggles. He is smart enough and possess the talent to counter those looks but doing it in game is sometimes easier said than done. As he gains more experience he will be able to adjust more smoothly in games.

Bevell is also an issue. He did not do the offense any favors in his game plan vs AZ. The play calling was better this week and allowed Russell to find his groove. More screens, short curls, and quick slants to counter the blitz. First few series were not great and his accuracy was off. But once he relaxed he was back to being DangeRuss.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many scoff at this notion. I work in finance and we commonly use the term "paralysis by analysis." Sometimes, you can handicap yourself by overdoing/analyzing certain things. RW played better yesterday, but he still looks off. And I don't think the OP is too far off with this idea because it really does look like RW is over thinking and not trusting what he sees like he was, for example, in the Saints game.

From personal experience (college baseball), anytime I was in a slump, it seemed like the harder I tried, the worse off I was because I got inside my own head. I'm not saying RW should skip practice, but maybe take a day or 2 away from the film room and just focus on footwork, etc.

Either way, it's not the end of the world and I trust RW as much as any QB in the league. But RW being a cerebral guy, I dont think the general sentiment of the OP is outlandish by any means.