Hawks D stats in relation to the top 10.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Total Defense: #1 at 273.6 yards per game

That's great, but more impressive:

The difference between the Hawks and the #2 team (Carolina) is 27.7 yards per game.

The average difference between the other teams rounding out the top 10: 4 yards per game

Passing Defense: #1, at 172 yards per game

The difference between the Seahawks and the #2 team (NO Saints) is 18 yards per game.

The average difference between the other teams rounding out the top 10 pass defenses in the league: 3.6 yards per game

Passer Rating Against: #1, at 63.4

The difference in passer rating between the 'Hawks and the #2 team (Cincinnati): 10.8

Average difference between the other top 10 teams: 0.9

Interceptions: #1 with 28

Seattle led the league with 28 interceptions, 5 more than the second-place team in Buffalo.

Average difference between the other top 10 teams: 0.6

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
No Scoring Defense.

And I would include Rushing Defense.

To have the #7 Rush D while giving up 400 yards in 2 games plus being the#1 Pass D is still a pretty bad ass Rush D.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The type of comparison I'm making here doesn't work for categories we're not #1 in (Rush Defense for example) so it would be dumb to put it on here. And while we were #1 in scoring defense, the scores get so close that there's not a large enough margin to be nearly as impressive as these other stats. Thank you for everyone who got the point of the post to begin with =)

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":22yw5efw said:
No Scoring Defense.

And I would include Rushing Defense.

To have the #7 Rush D while giving up 400 yards in 2 games plus being the#1 Pass D is still a pretty bad ass Rush D.
Just think how good this D would have been without those two lapses in games.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2reyjh15 said:
The type of comparison I'm making here doesn't work for categories we're not #1 in (Rush Defense for example) so it would be dumb to put it on here. And while we were #1 in scoring defense, the scores get so close that there's not a large enough margin to be nearly as impressive as these other stats. Thank you for everyone who got the point of the post to begin with =)

First of all, very amusing name-calling but I can do it too, CawkBSmall (sorry, what goes around comes around). :)

2ndly, you're wrong-wrong-wrong.

Scoring Defense

#1 Seahawks with 231 Points allowed.
#2 Panthers with 241 Points allowed (-10)
#3 49ers with 272 Points allowed (-41)
#4 Saints with 304 Points allowed (-73)
#10 Patriots with 338 Points allowed (-107)

Average difference of points between teams ranked between #1 and #10 = 10.7

That's pretty impressive.

Rushing Defense

#1 Cardinals at 84.4 yards per game.
#7 Seahawks at 101.2 yards per game. (-16.8)
#10 Eagles at 104.4 ypg (-20)

So average difference between the teams ranked between #1 and #10 = 2.0 ypg.

In 2 games the Seahawks gave up 400 yards if they would have allowed their season average, they'd have the the 4th rated Rush D.

Also, out of the top 10 rush defenses per yard, two teams have allowed up to 4 Rushing TDs, Seahawks at #7 are one of those teams, the other is #2. Two other teams have allowed 5-8 TDs, #1 and #5. Four teams have allowed 9-12 TDs, #3, #4, #6, #10. Two teams have allowed 12-18 TDs, #8 and #9.

Again, being hands down the best Passing Defense in the NFL....Wait, for some reason I feel I have to help you understand this: Teams who can't PASS the ball will most likely RUN the ball. Sooooo.....to give up 400+ rushing yards in 2 games and still rank 7th out of 32 while giving up the least amount of rushing TDs. Color me rather impressed.

And Thanking Your Audience....

In that manner was very smug, so I will also just assume no one really understood your agenda as you didn't explain it other than vaguely in the title.

Sorry bro, I didn't know your were being superficial about awesome Seahawks stats.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Seattle held teams to 10 less points than the panthers.

The panthers held teams to 31 less than the 49ers
The 49ers held teams to 32 less than the Saints
The saints held teams to 1 less than the Bengals and the Chiefs
The Bengals/Chiefs held teams to 19 less points than the Cardinals
Cards held teams to 11 less points than the dolphins
Dolphins held teams to 1 less points than the Colts
whom held teams to 2 less points than the Patriots
Who held teams to 10 less points than the chargers.

If you add the differences between these non-seahawks teams up and divide by 9 (because we aren't including seattle) you get basically 12 points as the average difference between teams 9-10. Which is more than the 10 more than the points separating the hawks from the panthers.

So you must have missed the entire point of the exercise. The point was that in a few key catagories we're not only leading, but far and away better than the second place team. Which makes comparing the rushing defense completely pointless because it's not a statistic in which we lead the league.

yes we lead in scoring defense but the margin isn't as lopsided as the ones I posted. If there's a flaw in my math (besides possibly the source) it's that I really only did the top 9 times rather than the top 10 because I wasn't factoring in the difference between 10 and 11, but the average still illustrates the points.

But thank you for taking it and yourself so seriously. I'm sorry my joking "name calling" rubbed you the wrong way. Go have a beer.