Michael Bowie

hawk45

Reaction score
He did seem to. The Saints are no SF or CAR up front, so I don't expect us to have similar success against those teams, but he did enough to earn a shot next week in my eyes.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I didn't even know he was out there...and that's the biggest compliment I think I could give a Guard.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
ludakrishna":3b6kt42o said:
I think we finally found our starting LG. Im not an expert, but he seemed to play really well.

I have no idea why they continue to keep Alvin Bailey off the field. He's looked at WORST like an average NFL O-Linemen when he's gotten time. Sometimes looking like a stud. Bowie and Bailey may very well be our future at both guard positions. Unfortunately, I missed half the game tonight, but yeah. Still want us to draft someone for solid depth and competition.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Now that you mention it, he did seem to, didn't he? Speaks volumes that James Carpenter was a healthy scratch from a playoff game.

cover-2

Reaction score
hawk45":p413rcl2 said:
He did seem to. The Saints are no SF or CAR up front, so I don't expect us to have similar success against those teams, but he did enough to earn a shot next week in my eyes.

Bowie hasn't exactly played against scrubs. Today he played against one of the best d-lineman, Cam Jordan (12.5 sacks) and 360 lbs. DT John Jenkins. Bailey's last start at RG he played against one of the best DT's in the NFL (Darnell Dockett) and had some reps against the monster DE Calais Campbell . IMO he has locked down one of the OG starting spots. The 49ers don't have anyone that play inside better than Jordan or Dockett. Carolina has a stud rookie DT in Star Lotulelei, but I don't know that he at this point is better than Dockett.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
He did play well, but lets see how he does against the Panthers or Niners next week.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Pete Carroll said after the game that he earned the start today. Me thinks he earned another start next week.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Just rewatched the game....Bowie did play good. I thought he struggled much when he played Tackle earlier in the year but, he seems like a perfect Guard....and he had no wiff blocks like the others made too common! :)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Mcquistan is a FA after this season. Carp still has another year left on his deal, so I think they will keep him for depth. He only has a $2.5m cap hit next year so I think they'll keep him around.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The line looked as good as they have in awhile imo - I imagine Bowie atleast partially the reason. Now only if we had a big physical receiver to bring in off the bench. ;)

willyum

Reaction score
cover-2":30rj491n said:
hawk45":30rj491n said:

Bowie hasn't exactly played against scrubs. Today he played against one of the best d-lineman, Cam Jordan (12.5 sacks) and 360 lbs. DT John Jenkins. Bailey's last start at RG he played against one of the best DT's in the NFL (Darnell Dockett) and had some reps against the monster DE Calais Campbell . IMO he has locked down one of the OG starting spots. The 49ers don't have anyone that play inside better than Jordan or Dockett. Carolina has a stud rookie DT in Star Lotulelei, but I don't know that he at this point is better than Dockett.

we'll see how he does against Justin Smith, still one of the better 3-4 ends, and how he reacts to Aldon Smith stunting gaps. and trying to get P. Willis or N. Bowman blocked is not easy also.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It looked like Sweezy took a step forward as well. He had a few jaw- dropping drive blocks, and his gap wasn't abused.

OP
OP
L

ludakrishna

Reaction score
willyum":3dkj860k said:
cover-2":3dkj860k said:
hawk45":3dkj860k said:

we'll see how he does against Justin Smith, still one of the better 3-4 ends, and how he reacts to Aldon Smith stunting gaps. and trying to get P. Willis or N. Bowman blocked is not easy also.

That's if the Wieners beat the Panthers. Otherwise it will be Star Lotuleilei

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Just watched all of his plays. For his first start at LG I think he did a terrific job. He was very good in the first half and even had a pancake on Cam Jordan on one play down by the goal line. He was just average in the second half when he seemed to tire a bit.

Some observations from a non-expert:

Strength: He's a very good run blocker who gets great leverage and pile drives with his tremendous lower body strength. Seattle ran between Bowie and Unger a few times with great success. His upper body strength appears adequate but could improve.

Hands: His hands are good. He isn't grabby and keeps his mitts inside his opponents pads. Once locked on he rarely loses control of his man.

Feet: He has better balance than any of our other LGs. He has decent acceleration off the snap. He got to the second level a couple of times with success. He isn't great in space at this point, although he is worlds better than Carp ever was. He was on his back a few plays and got blown up twice in the first half when he was late off the snap and his feet got tangled. Overall his movement skills are above average.

Pass Pro: He ceded some ground early in pass pro which led to Russell eating the ball. He generally sealed off his man and gave Russ time but it did seem like the play calling was sensitive to this being Bowie's first start at LG. Many of the pass plays rolled away from the left side. I think this was a mistake as Bowie proved reliable in pass pro as the game progressed. Tough to evaluate since we didn't pass much but he sets up fairly quickly off the snap with good posture and usually stalemates his man.

Effort: After watching Carp laze around for three years, avoiding contact, and not playing to the whistle it is refreshing to watch Bowie compete. The guy is into the game. You can see each play matters to him and he is trying to do his best. In the first half he was looking for extra contact and played to the whistle. In the second half he really seemed to wear out. I imagine playing inside and having to lean on 340 lbs DTs takes a lot more out of you than shielding 260 Lbs DE at RT.

Mental: He was assignment correct throughout apart from one play where he looked a little lost. He had no false starts or holding penalties, which is terrific considering he was playing a new position.

Overall, Bowie is a massive upgrade over what we've been getting at LG. It is no wonder Marshawn had his best performance in weeks. I think it is directly attributable to Bowie's start. The exciting thing is that I think Bowie can get better. It may not happen next week but he appears to be legitimate starting material with more reps and a 2014 training camp at the position.

cover-2

Reaction score
willyum":j96hxub6 said:
cover-2":j96hxub6 said:
hawk45":j96hxub6 said:

It sounds like you are still skeptical of Bowie as a starter, and I was in the same line of thinking when he was playing RT earlier this year. But, after two good starts at OG I have made a 180 on what I think of him as a starter on our offensive line. Right now my knock on him is that he still doesn't play to whistle, like Breno & Sweezy do, and he is a bit slow when he has been asked to pull.

I don't think Justin Smith is going to be a problem for Bowie. Dockett plays a lot of DE when the Cardinals line up in 3-4 defense and is better player than Justin Smith, as is Calais Campbell. So I'm not worried about J.Smith, but the combination of the 49ers front seven scheming to attack the left side of our offensive line is a whole nother animal. While the Cardinals front seven is nothing to sneeze at, the 49ers front seven is the best in the NFL and could be a problem for our entire offensive line. But, so far Bowie has held up extremely well, at OG, against some of the best defensive linemen in the NFC. He far exceeded my expectations especially for a 7th round draft pick.

willyum

Reaction score
cover-2":ylkr3sqt said:
willyum":ylkr3sqt said:
cover-2":ylkr3sqt said:
hawk45":ylkr3sqt said:

It sounds like you are still skeptical of Bowie as a starter, and I was in the same line of thinking when he was playing RT earlier this year. But, after two good starts at OG I have made a 180 on what I think of him as a starter on our offensive line. Right now my knock on him is that he still doesn't play to whistle, like Breno & Sweezy do, and he is a bit slow when he has been asked to pull.

I don't think Justin Smith is going to be a problem for Bowie. Dockett plays a lot of DE when the Cardinals line up in 3-4 defense and is better player than Justin Smith, as is Calais Campbell. So I'm not worried about J.Smith, but the combination of the 49ers front seven scheming to attack the left side of our offensive line is a whole nother animal. While the Cardinals front seven is nothing to sneeze at, the 49ers front seven is the best in the NFL and could be a problem for our entire offensive line. But, so far Bowie has held up extremely well, at OG, against some of the best defensive linemen in the NFC. He far exceeded my expectations especially for a 7th round draft pick.

no, no im not skeptical of him I think hes an outstanding player especially for a 7th round, once again Carroll and crew show their magic. im just looking forward to seeing him going up against SF's great front 7, or Carolina's of course