Stop hating on Wilson

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
Look yea Russell hasn't been his usual self for some games now but didn't ya see Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively. If ya don't believe him look at what the Patriots did today. It was raining similar to Seattle so they ran it alot and won that way. Brady didnt even have a TD pass ( like Russell ) and threw it only 6 more times than him (although he was more effective). The Patriots did today what the Seahawks wanted to do. The plan was to run it down their throats (like the Patriots did to the Colts) and have Russell be effective and opportunistic (like Tom Brady was). Russell ran the plan correctly in the first half but the Saints were able to neutralize him in the second. Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did.This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back sometime. He does have problems pulling the trigger sometimes but as we can see he is following a plan given to him. Im not trying to say Russell didn't play bad cause he really did, im just saying it is really hard for a qb to get in rhythm when he only throws it 9 times each half. Also lets not forget that he made the play when we needed him to so lets take it easy on the guy. With that said the passing game must improve because our defense can not bail us out every time. If Percy is out next game that will definitely be disappointing and will decrease our chances of advancing to the SuperBowl slightly. But enough with the negatives, were one game away from the SuperBowl baby! Lets be happy for the team and celebrate! That was a hard fought game and they deserved it!

Anthony!

Reaction score
DavidCruz24":38viuant said:
Look yea Russell hasn't been his usual self for some games now but didn't ya see Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively. If ya don't believe him look at what the Patriots did today. It was raining similar to Seattle so they ran it alot and won that way. Brady didnt even have a TD pass ( like Russell ) and threw it only 6 more times than him (although he was more effective). The Patriots did today what the Seahawks wanted to do. The plan was to run it down their throats (like the Patriots did to the Colts) and have Russell be effective and opportunistic (like Tom Brady was). Russell ran the plan correctly in the first half but the Saints were able to neutralize him in the second. Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did.This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back sometime. He does have problems pulling the trigger sometimes but as we can see he is following a plan given to him. Im not trying to say Russell didn't play bad cause he really did, im just saying it is really hard for a qb to get in rhythm when he only throws it 9 times each half. Also lets not forget that he made the play when we needed him to so lets take it easy on the guy. With that said the passing game must improve because our defense can not bail us out every time. If Percy is out next game that will definitely be disappointing and will decrease our chances of advancing to the SuperBowl slightly. But enough with the negatives, were one game away from the SuperBowl baby! Lets be happy for the team and celebrate! That was a hard fought game and they deserved it!

GREAT POSt TOTTALY AGREE. Add to that PC has drilled into RW no turn overs that I am sure that is why he may hesitate sometimes. They need to let RW be Rw like they did during and before the NO game in the regular season and the 2nd half of last year. That is when we are at our best. Its like once we clinched they dialed back. LET RW BE RW

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Dude nobody's hateing just stating the obvious we love him so shut the F up !

The Outfield

Reaction score
Broke it up for you.

Look yea Russell hasn't been his usual self for some games now but didn't ya see Pete Carrols press conference? He clearly said that the plan was to run the ball in that kind of weather because it was going to be difficult to run our offense effectively.

If ya don't believe him look at what the Patriots did today. It was raining similar to Seattle so they ran it alot and won that way. Brady didnt even have a TD pass ( like Russell ) and threw it only 6 more times than him (although he was more effective).

The Patriots did today what the Seahawks wanted to do. The plan was to run it down their throats (like the Patriots did to the Colts) and have Russell be effective and opportunistic (like Tom Brady was). Russell ran the plan correctly in the first half but the Saints were able to neutralize him in the second.

Also Russell said that he had been begging Bevell to let him take a shot and on that 3rd down conversion at the end of the game he finally did.This clearly shows us that the coaches are part of what holds him back sometime. He does have problems pulling the trigger sometimes but as we can see he is following a plan given to him.

Im not trying to say Russell didn't play bad cause he really did, im just saying it is really hard for a qb to get in rhythm when he only throws it 9 times each half. Also lets not forget that he made the play when we needed him to so lets take it easy on the guy. With that said the passing game must improve because our defense can not bail us out every time.

If Percy is out next game that will definitely be disappointing and will decrease our chances of advancing to the SuperBowl slightly. But enough with the negatives, were one game away from the SuperBowl baby! Lets be happy for the team and celebrate! That was a hard fought game and they deserved it!

I also heard from someone that the Hawks came out in the 3rd quarter and played conservatively (see all the run plays run at the start of the 3rd) because of the increased rain/wind and the fact that they didn't want to turn the ball over.

purpleworld

Reaction score
14-3....26-9 over two years....my how quickly people forget life prior to RW!

purpleworld

Reaction score
In the 2 years that RW has been our QB, can anybody show one game that he WAS the reason we lost it? In watching the Colts/Patriots tonight, i can easily say that Luck lost this game for the Colts....how about RW??? Anyone???

hawkfannj

Reaction score
purpleworld":13r28df4 said:
14-3....26-9 over two years....my how quickly people forget life prior to RW!

Come on man ! We haven't seen the " clutch" guy in over a month. I really think that is the subject here not his over all record . Hey Dan Marino got pretty good stats too . Too bad he never won anything really . Stats are for losers imho

hawkfannj

Reaction score
purpleworld":37k0p8ng said:
In the 2 years that RW has been our QB, can anybody show one game that he WAS the reason we lost it? In watching the Colts/Patriots tonight, i can easily say that Luck lost this game for the Colts....how about RW??? Anyone???
Was he the reason we won?

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
He's playing "no turnovers" ball, and he's doing that well. He just needs to rekindle the rest and mix it up (have fun doing it). I believe he can.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's "hating on him," but rather lamenting that he appears to have had some pretty bad games of late. He's missed wide open receivers, looked indecisive, and has lost his running threat. These are just facts, and there's no point denying them.

I have faith he'll get better though, it's what he does. I just hope he can do it now so we can take this thing all the way.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Look, I don't mind wondering what is going on, but some of you are out your minds. The sky isn't falling. "We haven't seen Russell in a month." So what? You take the good with the bad. We are waaaay to critical of a people saying things like, "he's not capable", etc., which is just total horseshit. It's like you've forgotten what we've already seen from him. Dude is missing his 1 and 2 receivers for most of the year and we're 14-3. The wind and rain was affecting one of the most prolific passers in the game last night, and when it let up in the second half a little, it was clear our OC was in conservation mode.

I just don't see it like some of you do. But you know, I hope the league AND opposing defense start feeling the way you do, because that's precisely when Russell will bust your collective faces open with his play.

Darrenv17

Reaction score
purpleworld":1y5nyxhz said:

yeah the Arizona game!!! 5 picks and we couldn't get it in the endzone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pukeface: :pukeface:

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I was gone all day and didn't get to watch the game until late last night. First, I noticed that Bree's was having some serious trouble throwing the ball as well. Only had like 34 yards passing in the first half? The weather certainly had a huge impact.

Second, I think the OP's point on getting into a rhythm has merit. Bree's was forced to pass in the second half after falling behind and started picking us a part some, but even then had many errant throws that easily could have been picked. Earl could have had two and the Chancellor one that hit him in the chest and was dropped. This is all from the only guy to have multiple 5,000 yard passing seasons.

Finally, it's true RW missed some throws particularly the third down slants, but when you look at Bree's performance as well and the game plan I for one can see how this could happen, that overall the passing game struggled. Also, how much could nerves have been a factor? There are lots of things to consider, and as we all saw our Hawks got it done when it mattered.

I think they will continue to learn, and make the most of this humbling win and play better this week for it.

Go Hawks!!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sorry, but I couldn't read that. Please use paragraphs.

As to your subject line, I'm not hating on Russell. I love what he brings to this team, both on and off the field. That does not mean, however, that I'm unwilling to comment when he's struggling a bit.

He has not been himself the last several games. It's not all on him, but some of it is. There are times when he has had running room and hasn't taken it because he's too focused on getting a big passing play. He has admitted he doesn't actually like to run. That's fine, but when that is the best option, take it and don't hesitate. His decision making could be a little faster in general. And at times his accuracy has been off. Last night it was mostly due to the wind.

Receivers also have to work harder to get open. The o line still needs some improvement. And play calling could also improve at times--and that's on Pete too, not just Bevell.

Looked at singularly, these are small things. The issue is that they're happening all at once. We've played tough defenses recently and haven't seemed to fully adjust yet.

We did get the running game going last night, another area with which we've struggled. So that's a good start.

One down, one to go.

BASF

Reaction score
One point I have not seen anyone make during these posts is how good the Saints defense is against the pass. No one has pointed out that the Saints were number 2 yardage wise against the pass. They were one of only three teams that averaged less than 200 yards allowed per game passing. They also have a better pass rush than we do, which plays a factor. As much as anyone wants to say Wilson had time in the pocket, it was mostly because they were playing the contain game to keep him from running. The weather also played a factor.

There are those here who have questioned him about the slants. I have explained this a few times, but here it is once again. The slant is predicated heavily on the precision of the offensive line as much as it is the receiver running the route and the quarterback having the correct timing to hit the receiver at the correct spot to keep it away from the defensive back who is always going to be contesting the throw as it arrives. The tackle has to control his man toward the sideline and away from knocking the ball down while the guard is to control his man to the inside and away from knocking the ball down. This creates the throwing lane that all quarterbacks need to successfully complete this pass. It does not matter how tall the receiver is or how tall the quarterback is on this play as the passing lane is the only instance that the QB is going to have the window to throw the pass. Fitting it in is the tricky part especially when you have receivers that don't win all that well at the line of scrimmage (which we do not have) and the defensive back has a pretty good idea the play is coming (which is where I bag on Bevell since his play variations are not exactly extensive). Does anyone remember that Bowie was starting his first game at left guard? Did anyone notice that we completed our slants to Sweezy and Giacomini's side much better than we did to the new combination of Bowie and Okung?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
sc85sis":27u7n073 said:
Sorry, but I couldn't read that. Please use paragraphs.

As to your subject line, I'm not hating on Russell. I love what he brings to this team, both on and off the field. That does not mean, however, that I'm unwilling to comment when he's struggling a bit.

He has not been himself the last several games. It's not all on him, but some of it is. There are times when he has had running room and hasn't taken it because he's too focused on getting a big passing play. He has admitted he doesn't actually like to run. That's fine, but when that is the best option, take it and don't hesitate. His decision making could be a little faster in general. And at times his accuracy has been off. Last night it was mostly due to the wind.

Receivers also have to work harder to get open. The o line still needs some improvement. And play calling could also improve at times--and that's on Pete too, not just Bevell.

Looked at singularly, these are small things. The issue is that they're happening all at once. We've played tough defenses recently and haven't seemed to fully adjust yet.

We did get the running game going last night, another area with which we've struggled. So that's a good start.

One down, one to go.

Well said, very well said. Especially your part on Russell.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Darrenv17":1mtqaci1 said:
purpleworld":1mtqaci1 said:

yeah the Arizona game!!! 5 picks and we couldn't get it in the endzone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pukeface: :pukeface:

RW threw 5 picks? Not correct....and he wasn't the reason we lost that game. As crappy as the whole team played in a meaningless game that day, we had the lead 10-9 until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Anybody else have a game that RW personally lost for us in his 2 years as our QB??? Any Matt Schaub pick six games he lost for us??? :229031_confused2:

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
purpleworld":1fgn0971 said:
Not explicitly no. I can however think of a few that he pretty much single handedly won, and some others where he balled out and the team lost.