With Harvin=Super Bowl w/o Harvin=Whammy

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I really believe everything rides on this guy. 49ers got Crabtree and Boldin healthy. Seattle is down Rice. Without Harvin I don't see this offense doing anything against a 49ers team that is going to replicate the Cardinals gameplan.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Agree. The other pass catchers need him to take the heat off of them. They can't get it done on their own right now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not diminishing his value, but SEA was one defensive breakdown away from beating SF on the road. This team can win games any number of ways, and it's not necessarily going to come down to the presence of one skill player.

This board is weird. It gets way too high after a blowout (STL) and way too low after a close game (NO). Every week in the NFL is different and consecutive games rarely play out the same way. This team is favored at home without info on whether or not Harvin is playing.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1ju136k2 said:
I really believe everything rides on this guy. 49ers got Crabtree and Boldin healthy. Seattle is down Rice. Without Harvin I don't see this offense doing anything against a 49ers team that is going to replicate the Cardinals gameplan.

I totally agree. Has anybody heard any updates on him?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
falcongoggles":bhu1hz5a said:

Gotta agree. This offense is so pedestrian right now. If we couldn't do anything against a banged up Saints defense, what can we do against a fully loaded Niners D?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":w1rxuii4 said:
Not diminishing his value, but SEA was one defensive breakdown away from beating SF on the road. This team can win games any number of ways, and it's not necessarily going to come down to the presence of one skill player.

This board is weird. It gets way too high after a blowout (STL) and way too low after a close game (NO). Every week in the NFL is different and consecutive games rarely play out the same way. This team is favored at home without info on whether or not Harvin is playing.
Agreed. It may be closer than I prefer but this is doable.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Harvin should and better play next week. We'll need all of our weapons, yes Bevell including the TE s, next week.

kmedic

Reaction score
Not sure about losing to SF without him but I do think if we make it to the Super Bowl we need him to match Denver/NE's offense.

Harvin not only makes impact plays when he touches the ball but he influences coverages that open things up for others. Yesterday, I noticed on the first Lynch TD Harvin was lined up in the backfield in the slot. I saw RW make eye contact with him almost as if he was going throw it to him in space. The free safety saw that and on the snap immediately released to his side. That left a huge hole for Lynch to hit on the weak side and the rest is history. No one else on the team can influence a defense like Harvin. He makes an average defense into a dangerous one.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Having Harvin play no doubt would be a great thing, but I don't necessarily think that without him we are doomed. This match up has all the ingredients for a defensive skirmish. A hard nosed, smash mouth physical game with a heavy dosage of rushing. Who's more physical than us?

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
^I think it swings the odds in the 49ers favor. They have all their offensive weapons and Seattle is missing Rice and possibly Harvin. That's a big deal.

Kakaww

Reaction score
I would rest easier knowing Harvin was a go, but the Hawks went 15-3 with 4 catches and a kickoff return from him.

That being said, I'm just as concerned as most about how uninspiring our offense is right now. I do believe in Wilson though. Remember several weeks back when he was being talked about in the MVP race? Well, he is still the same guy and I know he and the offense can turn some of that magic back on next week.

With Harvin, it really felt like Wilson was able to get downfield and take some shots. Without him, It might just take the Niners putting us in a hole to open up the offense, forcing him to take some risks and get in a flow. Not advocating that we try and do that lol.

Overall, this team can win with or without number 11. They can also do much better offensively against the weaker AFC defenses should we meet them.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This thread sucks.

Last time I checked the Seahawks are 7-2 without Rice, 12-3 without Harvin playing a snap, and 5-2 without both.

And it includes barely losing to the 49ers @ Candlestick also down Browner and Thurmond and losing KJ Wright. It took a blocked punt, a should-have-been fumble by Crabtree, and 51 yard run by Gore that was made possible because Anquan Boldin held Richard Sherman with a blatant tug-o-war-on-the-rope technique. You know whose zone contain Gore was allowed to cutback into schooling Thomas in the process? Richard Sherman's. I won't bother stating that a Ref was two feet away or that Boldin used the same technique on Jeremy Lane to spring Kaepernick for 9 yards on 3rd and 7 for a 1st down forcing the Seahawks to burn timeouts and ice out the game.

I get it San Fran is a scary good team, but Seahawks are just better. Were younger, with less overall experience and the Seahawks have won more regular season games (24 to 23) than them the last two seasons while sporting better overall DVOA in both years. Entering the season Seahawks had the 4th youngest roster, San Fran had the 7th oldest.

Plus, San Francisco sucks in Seattle has evidence by the 29 and 26 point blow-outs Seattle served the last two games or in 2011 when a 13-3 49ers team barely could escape with a 19-17 win over a 7-9 injury riddled Seahawks team that had a ragtag group of replacement WRs and Offensive Linemen being led by an injured Tarvaris Jackson with a Defense that was transforming but not yet the elite of elite status it is today.
This team doesn't need Harvin to beat the 49ers. Why are you making excuses to an event of a loss that hasn't even happened yet?

Tokadub

Reaction score
For all those who just blindly assume Seahawks offense is superior to 49ers and there's no way our offense could cause us to lose...

Here are the total offensive yards for both teams over the last 4 games for Seahawks and 49ers in order of most recent:

Seahawks:

277-269-192-327 = Average 266.25 yards/game

49ers:

381-315-375-379 = Average 362.5 yards/game

So the 49ers are averaging about 100 yards more per game than us recently on offense...

That also includes 3 home games for Hawks and 3 away games for 49ers!

I don't want to go into defensive stats but their offense is clearly doing much better than us and our concerns of our lack of offensive production are realistic and legit.

themunn

Reaction score
The only thing is, according to DVOA, the pass defenses we've faced in the last 6 games have been:

NO - 6th
SF - 10th
NYG - 8th
ARI - 5th
STL - 15th
NO - 6th

And looking directly at the SF game, NYG game, ARI game and 2nd NO game, I have the following comments:

Against SF it looked as if we shut up shop almost immediately and played conservatively because SF were headhunting, the last thing we wanted was to suffer injuries.
Against NYG we never ever looked like giving up points, so again we played conservatively and didn't risk throwing the game away with INTs or fumbles or getting anyone injured
Against ARI they played an absolute stonker of a game on defense, and again we also dominated on defense to the extent it didn't look like ARI would score unless we gave it to them (and if you consider that 2 of their FG drives were extended due to 2 personal fouls and a dodgy PI call, and their TD drive was extended on an 3rd down incompletion thanks to a holding call, AND the interception that never was at the end, the perfect storm occured for Arizona to take that win).
Again, against NO, we went up by 16 and never really looked like conceding 16 points, so again went conservative.

If we need to ball out, we can - we just haven't had to for a long time

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we need Percy to win but I'd like to see him play bevells play calling was fun to watch with him jus being unpredictable is a huge advantage

jammerhawk

Reaction score
More negative visualizations in a defeatist post.

C'mon man, the Seahawks have won 14 games this season mostly w/o Percy or Rice, both of whom are injured more than they are healthy.

They only need to win 2 more for the prize and the big game that propels them to the SB is at home against a team we have played well against here.

Having Percy would be nice but even w/o him or Rice we got all we need.

Focus upon positive visualization, you'll be happier.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2i04hm21 said:

I agree. I would feel better with Harvin playing, don't get me wrong. But I don't think this defense is going to let us down regardless.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I agree, but considering the way .net treated him all year I find this thread funny.