Run Defense Must Improve

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I felt that the Saints had too many 4-6 yards run against us. Even with a no name back up...What is wrong with our run defense..? We need to stop the run if we are going against SF's power running...

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Our run defense has been good all year, we'll be fine.

Really, relax man.

Polaris

Reaction score
I actually agree. Our run defense will need to be better than what we showed this last week. Even Pete Carroll said as much (bad tackling and some gap issues). I fully expect we'll fix it up for the NFC Championship game. We've seen how stout our run defense can be of late.

Polaris

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":s1ioomca said:
Was it just a second half issue?

Actually it was more a first half issue. The Saints had drives in the first half....almost entirely on the ground. It's why the play-action worked late for N.O.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah, run D was a little leaky, but our tackling or lack their of was a bigger issue. We gave them 5-6 yard gains when it only should of be 2-3 yard gains.

Offense is still clearly the biggest issue for us come Sunday afternoon.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Eh, I knew Khiry Robinson would be tough for Seattle to handle. Said so here days before the NO game.

Gore doesn't concern me. He's likely down to his 3rd string FB. Seattle has struggled more with young, unfamiliar backs with limited tape. Remember, we shut down Zac Stacy the second time we saw him.

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
DavidSeven":17jf623f said:
Eh, I knew Khiry Robinson would be tough for Seattle to handle. Said so here days before the NO game.

Gore doesn't concern me. He's likely down to his 3rd string FB. Seattle has struggled more with young, unfamiliar backs with limited tape. Remember, we shut down Zac Stacy the second time we saw him.

The thing with Gore is he kills us late in the game.

willyum

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3c1ygri0 said:

yeah, the d-line really dominated that game against St. Louis. I cant remember a run where Mebane hadn't bulled the center into the backfield and McDaniel was shrugging off blocks like nothing

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'll chalk that up to wet weather and not live tackling for 2 weeks. The run D will be fine this week.

davidonmi

Reaction score
the d can play more man against SF and put an extra man in the box. Our tackling was bad, they'll fix it.
I worry about the offense a lot more

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
I disagree...

The Saints had 409 yards total, 309 of which which were passing yards (amazing when you consider they had 34 in the 1st half).

Robinson had one huge run of 17 yards...and other than that had 40 yards on 12 other carries.

Ingram had one huge run of 12 yards...and 9 other runs for 37 yards total.

Darren Sproles was a non-factor.

The Seahawks shut Drew Brees, Ingram, Sproles, Robinson, Colston, Graham and company to Zero points until the 4 minute mark of the 4th quarter.

keasley45

Reaction score
hoxrox":d31utd3m said:
I'll chalk that up to wet weather and not live tackling for 2 weeks. The run D will be fine this week.

not sure that was the case. the problem they had saturday was the same problem they had during that dismal stretch in the regular season. Gap control / responsibility. On almost all of the runs the Saints had up the middle, either smith or wags was prematurely filling a gap before the RB made his cut. I think its been a problem partially because the hawks are so well prepared that they anticipate (and for the most part are correct) what the O is going to do and beat them too the punch. Also think its due to their almost rabid tenacity and desire to stuff every play in the backfield. I think if they slow down a half second and read the play as its coming to them, they'll be fine. No problems otherwise... in my opinion.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Polaris":18bcvkr3 said:
CHawkTailGator":18bcvkr3 said:
Was it just a second half issue?

Actually it was more a first half issue. The Saints had drives in the first half....almost entirely on the ground. It's why the play-action worked late for N.O.

How many points did the Saints score in the 1st half?

sutz

Reaction score
We went up against a passing team that had some (some!) success running the ball on us. I'd chalk it up more to the emphasis we placed during the practice week to defend the passing game. That and the weather conditions. I'm not really worried.

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":1ie6crm9 said:
I disagree...

The Saints had 409 yards total, 309 of which which were passing yards (amazing when you consider they had 34 in the 1st half).

Robinson had one huge run of 17 yards...and other than that had 40 yards on 12 other carries.

Ingram had one huge run of 12 yards...and 9 other runs for 37 yards total.

Darren Sproles was a non-factor.

The Seahawks shut Drew Brees, Ingram, Sproles, Robinson, Colston, Graham and company to Zero points until the 4 minute mark of the 4th quarter.

Disagree all you want but late in the 2nd half the Saints had no choice but to pass the ball cause they were down by 2 possessions or more so they weren't running as much..

Seahawk79

Reaction score
I thought our run D was great, it got tired from seven 3 and outs in a row by our O if of ask me. Longer drive means more rest for our bad boys to get back out there ready to go.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Game before last we gave up 15 yards for the whole game.. generally our run d has been very good after a bad period midseason.