Sunday - The Most Intense U.S. Major Sporting Event Ever?

JonRud

Reaction score
I cannot speak to raucous soccer crowds in Europe or South America, but I think that Sunday at CLink will be the most intense, nailbiting, explosive, crazy major sporting event in U.S. history.

1) Loudest crowd & stadium of all pro sports
2) Championship game - 10x more intense than a Super Bowl crowd
3) Bitter, hated rivalry in all facets
4) Two big, physical, hard hitting teams.

I was at the NFC Championship in Jan. 2006, and I think this game in terms of crowd noise, disruption, intensity is going to be 25-50% higher than that game. The crowd at that game was amazing but it's not like anyone hated John Fox or Jake Delhomme with a passion.

What other sporting event from the past was more intense than this one will be in terms of crowd participation & atmosphere?

chris98251

Reaction score
Hagler Hearns fights, Frazier Ali fight although that was in Manila, Jets Colts Super Bowl, Namaths gaurentee and his swagger at the time was a first against the old school of the Colts and Unitas, granted its a dated reference also but for the era it was a big big thing. I would also day the Olympic Hockey team as well when they won and did the unthinkable ousting the Russians and Swedish teams if memory serves.

OP
OP
JonRud

JonRud

Reaction score
Yeah the Olympic hockey is an excellent one - didn't think of that.

Jets/Colts Super Bowl was a major upset, but I doubt they got up above 60 decibels at that stadium. everyone was too busy smoking in the stands to yell.

muxpux

Reaction score
"The Super Bowl might be a letdown after this one."

i was just thinking this earlier, haha.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Because of the amount of "football" fans, or rich look at me type people, that are not fans of either team playing in the Super Bowl.
I see this as a WAY more intense environment.
I know I'm stoked, and already having trouble sleeping.
GoHawks

12evanf

Reaction score
"Most intense" I think of Jack Johnson beating Jeff Jeffries way back when. Riots all over the country after that happened.

This is the biggest for Seattle though.

jblaze

Reaction score
In Seattle history possibly, although we did play in the SB.

I am thankful that if we do win, we'll have 2 weeks to rest up and get healthy. It's gonna be a brawl. I just hope they can keep their emotions under control and not fall into some of the same traps that the Panthers fell into last week.

rjdriver

Reaction score
As amazing as the Miracle on Ice would have been to witness , the attendance was only 8500 spectators. That may knock it down a bit, but it's the one event in history I would have liked to have seen more than any other.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Most intense sports contest I've seen is the Avs-Red Wings playoff in the 1996 Stanley Cup, the one where Claude Lemieux drove Chris Draper's face into the boards and got ejected from the game.

Seeker

Reaction score
Hearns vs Haggler,
old heads and O.G.s remember what that fight was called...

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
:49ersmall: I want this game so bad I can taste it. :49ersmall:
It's being hyped on the East Coast for sure. And we have the late night Sunday slot. Everyone will be watching, naturally the Hawks will fly high and destroy the Niners!

Seeker

Reaction score
This is gonna be like that time Hulk Hogan fought Zues (debo) in no holds barred.

hawker84

Reaction score
Seeker":3r0efmiw said:
Hearns vs Haggler,
old heads and O.G.s remember what that fight was called...

Yep Hagler lost his mind that night, literally. So did I, best fight i've ever watched.