9er fan here; I just don't want the refs to decide the game

SFbaybum

Reaction score
I've been saying all year that these new "Roughing", "Helmet to helmet", "Targeting", etc sort of personal fouls are over the top and there is a good chance they could decide some team's fate in the playoffs.

While I obviously want the 9ers to win, I just don't want to look back and feel the refs took the game.... from either team. Last week, The 9ers Dan Skuta was flagged for a ridiculous roughing call on Cam Newton at crunch time (no pun intended). That call could have changed the game. Thankfully it did not.

Let's have a clean NFC Championship with no jawing, no personal fouls, no unsportsmanlike conducts & may the best team win.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. Seahawks fans are no stranger to refs deciding the outcome of a huge game. We want to win fair and square. The last thing any of us wants is a win deep with controversy due to poor officiating.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Agreed. However, I am very confident Steratore is going to let them play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd agree with this, every day and twice on Sunday.

I'm tired of getting screwed by the refs, but most NFL fans feel like this.

Largent80

Reaction score
i'm with ya, we have had more than our share since we are #1 in the league in penalties. Fortunately our team has been good enough to beat the other team and the refs. I am confident we do that Sunday.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Aros":wrnm1xxo said:
Agreed. Seahawks fans are no stranger to refs deciding the outcome of a huge game. We want to win fair and square. The last thing any of us wants is a win deep with controversy due to poor officiating.
Hehe, actually, the last thing I want is a *loss* deep with controversy. I want true home field advantage with all its accustomed perks and advantages. If that means I have to suffer through a game with a 60/40 advantage on calls and no-calls, I'm more than happy to enjoy it.

OP
OP
S

SFbaybum

Reaction score
I know you guys feel you've had your share, but believe me, the 9ers have had theirs. I'm 48 years old and I remember like it was yesterday the absolutely ridiculous Pass Interference call on Ronnie Lott at the end of the '83 NFC Championship game at RFK against The Skins when 9ers had it wrapped. To this day, Ronnie has refused to watch a replay and obviously after 30 years I haven't let it go. Believe me, neither team wants this.

Reaction score
Honest question - I know we won the game last year so it didn't matter, but how would you feel if a call like the one below by Kam Chancellor on Vernon Davis was flagged (as it was in that game):

VernonDavisCrushed_original.gif

Obviously I mean this call either way, whether it be on your team or our team - I just think that most 49ers fans likely feel that Kam deserved to be flagged on the play. Meanwhile, most of us here feel bad that Vernon got a concussion on that play, but when looking at how and where Kam hit Davis, we feel it should not have been flagged.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SFbaybum":q3pqh4vs said:
I know you guys feel you've had your share, but believe me, the 9ers have had theirs. I'm 48 years old and I remember like it was yesterday the absolutely ridiculous Pass Interference call on Ronnie Lott at the end of the '83 NFC Championship game at RFK against The Skins when 9ers had it wrapped. To this day, Ronnie has refused to watch a replay and obviously after 30 years I haven't let it go. Believe me, neither team wants this.

And yet no mention of the 2003 playoff game where the refs handed the Niners a one point win over the Giants. I mean, as long as we are talking about blown pass interference calls.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":2aionddu said:
Honest question - I know we won the game last year so it didn't matter, but how would you feel if a call like the one below by Kam Chancellor on Vernon Davis was flagged (as it was in that game):

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/image...48/VernonDavisCrushed_original.gif?1356316434

Obviously I mean this call either way, whether it be on your team or our team - I just think that most 49ers fans likely feel that Kam deserved to be flagged on the play. Meanwhile, most of us here feel bad that Vernon got a concussion on that play, but when looking at how and where Kam hit Davis, we feel it should not have been flagged.

In the referee's defense though....I can see why he may have thrown the flag depending on his angle. It must be soooooo hard to make a snap call on that type of play. It is easy to see a replay and know Kam didnt lead with the head, but in real time it is pretty tough.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Aros":3j3tx4ry said:
The last thing any of us wants is a win deep with controversy due to poor officiating.

That was my first thought regarding Colston's forward lateral; at least it wasn't a debatable call.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Even as a Hawks fan I was finding it frustrating how the 9ers seemed to get penalized whenever they got a hard hit on a QB (Brees, Newton). This is football. The Hawks-9ers operate at a whole different level physically, I hope the refs understands that.

Let Sherm be Sherm, let Boldin be Boldin. Let A Davis and Breno be the nasty sobs that they are. This is football.

Seeker

Reaction score
There will be no referees for this game. Just leave the football on the field and open the cage to let the players out. Steratore aint getting in the middle of this.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
*Raises glass to fair officiating*

May the Seahawks never again be involved in a game where the officials handed it to the opponent.

mrblitz

Reaction score
i remember the time the saints with billy joe hobert were blowing the 49ers out at candlestick, and the refs totally did a hose job on the saints to lift sf back into it.

plyka

Reaction score
SFbaybum":2fpcayez said:
I've been saying all year that these new "Roughing", "Helmet to helmet", "Targeting", etc sort of personal fouls are over the top and there is a good chance they could decide some team's fate in the playoffs.

While I obviously want the 9ers to win, I just don't want to look back and feel the refs took the game.... from either team. Last week, The 9ers Dan Skuta was flagged for a ridiculous roughing call on Cam Newton at crunch time (no pun intended). That call could have changed the game. Thankfully it did not.

Let's have a clean NFC Championship with no jawing, no personal fouls, no unsportsmanlike conducts & may the best team win.

Harbough does not agree with you. Unlike most people, I actually like Harbaugh. Perhaps not as a person, although i wouldn't know since I don't know the man. He is ackward from what I've seen, but so are a lot of people. The reason I like him is because he is smart when it comes to football. He doesn't just plan to beat you on the field, he plans to beat you everywhere with any means necessary.

An important overall strategy from Harbaugh has been his constant whining/crying regarding Seattle and their defense. That the Hawks D does not dominate based on play but rather based on cheating. They hold, they foul, they are the worst of the worst --according to Harbaugh. I've watched the Seahawks defense, and I've watched a lot of other Ds. This defense does not hold or pass interfere more than other teams. They all do it to some extent. The HAwks get away with it less than other teams. That's partly due to Harbaugh.

He has created a meme, a storyline. He has done it on purpose. The storyline has caught on over the last year. Despite the fact that there is no evidence to back it up! If you say something long enough, people will just accept it as truth --as long as it cannot be undeniably denied, and even in the case that it can be definitely disproven, it's not a guarantee that the people wont still accept it as truth.

The storyline was created, this meme was pushed by everyone and anyone --once the media caught on it blazed on fire. Now even Seahawk fans accept it as biblical truth. They don't question it, they accept it. Radio personalities, ESPN "analysts," everyone basically accepts the non-fact that the Seahawk defense holds over and over and over, and the refs just dont call them all.

This is bound to seep into the minds of the refs. They will be looking for it. On almost any play, you can see something which COULD be called. It's not black or white. And when you have an overriding meme in play, the refs subconscious is bound to let it affect them.

Harbaugh 1
Pete 0

Before the game is even played. And that's why I like Harbaugh.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":8gu38m6e said:

VernonDavisCrushed_original.gif

damn that hit was awesome...and clean too!!!