How will SF approach this game on offense?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Think they try to come out in no-huddle again? Heard a quote on ESPN where they talked about just lining up and "going". They abandoned it pretty quickly the last time. Just curious if they might try to go up tempo with jumbo personnel to try and wear down the defense in the first half.

Thoughts?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Run it down our throats and try to get Davis vertically now and then. Putting more of their big guys where ours are and getting Gore moving vertically is a pretty good recipe, and its one they have the ingredients for.

nsport

Reaction score
Depends on if it's working... one of the keys to the game is the time-of-possession stat. If they fail at the hurry up, their defense has to suffer the consequences (more time on the field).

2_0_6

Reaction score
First series:

1st down: attempt run- 3 yard loss
2nd Down: Incomplete slant pass to Crabtree
3rd Down: Sherm pick 6, bicep kissing time

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The last two games in Seattle they put the game on Kaepernick as a passer. First time was a surprise, second time not so much after his Green Bay performance in week one.

I think this time they'll be a lot more balanced. I think Kaepernick will be running a lot -- get out of the pocket. We're going to have to contain him. I could see a 80-100 yard rushing yard game for Kap and that might be something that'll work for them.

Largent80

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3v1450w1 said:
Run it down our throats and try to get Davis vertically now and then. Putting more of their big guys where ours are and getting Gore moving vertically is a pretty good recipe, and its one they have the ingredients for.

Did you give up already?...They haven' done squat here for over 2 years.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Largent80":35jc6ft0 said:
AbsolutNET":35jc6ft0 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

Largent80

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3aw908l1 said:
Largent80":3aw908l1 said:
AbsolutNET":3aw908l1 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

When you say, "Putting more of their big guys where ours are and getting Gore moving vertically is a pretty good recipe, and its one they have the ingredients for." It sounds like we are outmatched. If Gore doesn't get a 51 yard run in SF, then we own him, and them in our last 4 games.

hoxrox

Reaction score
We’re going see some runs to the left by Kaep, especially on third down. Possibly a trick play or two thrown in. Probably a shot deep early in the game to try and take the 12s out of it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
It's their best option because it's how they've built that team, and the only thing that's really given our D trouble this year.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
If you've watched the last 3 Niner road games (@ Cardinals, @ Packers, @ Panthers), each game has had a similar quality to it:

The Niners score on their first drive, usually 3 pts, and the defense holds up their side. The score is usually pretty close with a slight advantage to the Niners, then the opponent gets some momentum and scores once or twice to take the lead. Right before half, Kaep is able to get some points, usually 7 going into halftime. After half, Kaep usually has another drive resulting in points. Then the opponent counters and for the majority of the second half it goes back and forth with little scoring, then the Niners have a time-eating drive in the forth with a Dawson FG.

The Niners will definitely focus on the power running game. A lot will be determined by how those runs on 1st and 2nd down go... if the Niners are able to average 3 or 4 yds, they should be able to stay in 3rd and manageable situations. However, the last few times they've faced SEA, including @ SF, the running attack has been stymied, forcing Kaep into difficult passing situations against the #1 pass defense.

Crabtree definitely helps, as it provides some relief for Boldin and Davis. If all three are on the field, at least one of those guys will be single-covered. Another guy to keep your eyes on is Patton, who's been dealing with a broken foot all season but has great instincts. I do worry that he may not be able to physically handle the Seahawks pressure, but he did have 2 very clutch catches against 2 very good defenses in CAR and ARI.

I would put the Packers film to rest... If he's not playing GB, Kaep doesn't run everywhere, in fact he's not used very often, especially against zone defense. He will tuck it down on scrambles, but the Hawks LB corp is fast enough to keep him from getting to the edge. I actually expect Wilson to rush for more yards.

Even if Kaep's running isn't going, he has made very timely, clutch plays in every playoff game he's been in. The Niners as a whole are playing with great confidence, but this game will be decided by who can control the line of scrimmage (as it almost always does).

jblaze

Reaction score
They'll try to run and control the field position battle. Take a couple of shots here and there and get into the 4th quarter with a chance and they'll hope to make a play late to lock it up. That's what I'd do.

If you try to get cute, it could get ugly. You need to build confidence and wear down the 12th man a bit with some nervousness and sore throats late in the game. 50/50 shot down the sideline to Crabtree for the win? On Maxwell again?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Harbaugh is going to attack what has worked against us, which is the run. Like Absolute said, it's what has worked against us and they have the personnel to do it.

Kaepernick hasn't played well up here, and he hasn't shown a propensity to spread the ball around really well. I can't see Harbaugh putting the game in Kaep's hands and running a no huddle passing attack.

Largent80

Reaction score
For BOTH teams. Built the same. Run first, everything else second. Then play good defense.

Mirror images but with different skill players at different positions.

Cool matchup.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Largent80":2php4i7f said:
then we own him, and them in our last 4 games.

Gore ran all over the D last year at the stick.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawks46":3cpzer7z said:
Harbaugh is going to attack what has worked against us, which is the run. Like Absolute said, it's what has worked against us and they have the personnel to do it.

Kaepernick hasn't played well up here, and he hasn't shown a propensity to spread the ball around really well. I can't see Harbaugh putting the game in Kaep's hands and running a no huddle passing attack.

I didn't suggest a no-huddle passing attack. I think the pre-snap stuff benefits Kraeper more than up-tempo would hurt our defense in the passing game. I said up tempo with jumbo personnel, as in, to run the ball. If they could sustain drives, our defense wouldn't be able to rotate like they're used to doing and they might be able to gas our guys by the 4th quarter. NO was actually pretty successful when they went big and attacked the edges.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Something that might discourage them from going up tempo is that they don't sub a lot on defense. Playing up tempo will result in more plays that their defense is on the field. Their defense does wear down. In the fourth quarter of the Packers game they were exhausted. They might go for it in fits and starts, but not consistently.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Unless Harbaugh loses his mind, they are going to stick with what brought them to the dance. Run the ball, shorten the game, give his team a chance to win it in the end. Seattle is a team that can get turnovers and cause an avalanche on you while getting them, especially in Seattle. Every team that's come here in the last part of the season has played the ground-and-pound game. Don't expect Harbaugh to stray from that IMO.

Another factor is that they've played more games than Seattle and are on shorter rest. An uptempo offense could put his worn out D at significant risk.

That all goes out the window if Seattle builds a big lead early.

HoRneR

Reaction score
Lots of play action! Play action everywhere!

But in all honesty after watching the sea vs no game I don't see anything but a huge does off running.