Bevell has a simple message for Wilson

Hawknight

Reaction score
By Terry Blount | ESPN.com
01/18/14

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... for-wilson

Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has a simple message for Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson entering the NFC Championship Game against the San Francisco 49ers.:

“We want him to be himself,” Bevell said. “We don’t need to build it up any different than it is. It’s just 60 more minutes for us to play, and we want Russell to play exactly the way he plays each and every day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the best advice you could give Russell. Just do what you do. Make the D pay.

Rocket

Reaction score
looking a bit deeper into the article...

“He’s not going to work harder and he’s not going to play harder. He’s at full tilt all the time. He’s here [at the Seahawks facility] all the time. He works hard at it, so we just want him to be himself.”

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but it suggests the coaches feel that Wilson is doing just fine...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
One thing is clear about this week down at VMAC, it's life as usual. There is no urgency, no hype and no stressing out. "We're going to play our game".

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I don't know, I got the impression he is telling Wilson just to play his game and relax out there. People have mentioend him not seeing open guys or not pulling the tirgger. Maybe he's been over-thinking things, worrying too much about picks etc? This might be a message to just go out there, have fun and play his game.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Rocket":2kj2aqks said:
looking a bit deeper into the article...

“He’s not going to work harder and he’s not going to play harder. He’s at full tilt all the time. He’s here [at the Seahawks facility] all the time. He works hard at it, so we just want him to be himself.”

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but it suggests the coaches feel that Wilson is doing just fine...

Or he's doing exactly what they want him to do

Seeker

Reaction score
We want you to be yourself,
(as long as you don't run, or pass to anyone further than the line of scrimmage).

naw I'm just playing. got a feeling Russell bout to tear it up this weekend.

themunn

Reaction score
DynoHawk":ka5oltod said:

goddamn it, you just ruled out my next half hour. training montages to pump me up for the NFCCG

jblaze

Reaction score
I think they're holding him in reserve a lot the last several weeks. Let the kid play, if he sees something, let him trust it and let it rip!

This whole don't lose the game and don't take any chances thing can come back to haunt you. You're going to have to make plays at this level to win games, period.

Trust what you see and let it rip Russ!

jlwaters1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":xmh8pxth said:
Honestly, at this point, every word out of Bevell's mouth just pisses me off.

I've got a feeling you'll still be pissed at Bevell even when the Seahawks are hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

jblaze

Reaction score
I tend to agree. Russell is special and it's time for a defining moment. This is a great opportunity to begin his legend.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":z38a56ia said:
Honestly, at this point, every word out of Bevell's mouth just pisses me off.

You're borderline obsessed. Like, jacksonfan obsessed. It's crazy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson does NOT need to throw for a lot of yards to win. He can do it, but why risk the turnovers against great defenses when you win without it?

Plus, it sets up opposing teams who think all they have to focus on is the running game, because when he needs to, Russell Wilson can light it up. It's just there isn't a lot of separation between receivers and DBs. But Russell can squeeze it in there, he just chooses not to.

Remember the swing pass out to the right to Percy that he pulled back and ran with? There was a defender there that could possibly have picked that for 6. It would have been tough to do, but RW was not going to risk giving the game away.

Look at Wilson's passing stats from this year and how poor they look, I would argue that they look that way because that's how Pete Carroll wants these games played. If it's not wide open, punt the ball and live for another possession.

If it weren't for all the passes thrown away, Russell's completion percentage would be higher. If it weren't for all the times he has pulled the pass down rather than risk throwing it in to tight coverage, his yardage would be higher.

Here's an interesting stat for you:

"In the playoff games where Tom Brady has thrown ZERO TDs, he is 4 and 0. In 2013 game Tom Brady was 13 of 25 for 198 yards. In 2011 he was 22 of 36 for 239 yards 0 TDs and 2 INTs and still beat Baltimore 32-20."