Average % of players who are able to return 1 week after ?

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Since the new concussion protocols have been implemented, can anyone find any info or stats on what the over/under is for players to return one week after suffering the concussion? I would love to see some numbers that go against my gut feeling. Independent doctors, you would think, would absolutely rule on the safe side everytime.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I clicked on this link expecting to read the information the subject line alludes to, not see it in question form.

OP
OP
The Yugoslavian

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Well I have nothing else of major importance tonight, so I will research every case I can from this season and will try to have a report of some detail ready for presentation late tonight/early tomorrow, for any of you that are interested. In the meantime, if anyone has data or some good links to similiar concussion recovery reports please feel free to contribute them in this thread! I want Percy!

HoRneR

Reaction score
Eric Reid of the niners came back the next game twice this year after he sustained a concussion.

253hawk

Reaction score
I remember reading it but can't find it again; it was something like 142 out of 150 players that suffered a concussion this season returned to play the next week.

HoRneR

Reaction score
The only worries you should have about Harvin he very likely could have suffered two concussions in the game vs the saints which would hinder his chances of playing this week.

OP
OP
The Yugoslavian

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
That's substantially higher than I would have guessed. Do you recall if it was from a legit site, ala nfl.com? If those numbers are accurate, my next question would be - how late in the week did the players resume practicing? You would think Harvin has to practice in some fashion tomorrow to have a greenlight by gametime

253hawk

Reaction score
Er yeah I got my numbers mixed up, it was a lot of extraction that night and some booze may have been involved. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up too much.

Really good site with interactive info: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... tions_2013

- 150 players have been diagnosed with concussions in the 2013 season (10 of these were during preseason)

- 83 players (55%) didn't miss a game and this includes Eric Reid who had two separate concussions (week 2 and week 10)

- 49 players (33%) missed one game, 5 missed two games, 4 missed three games, and 9 missed four or more games

So statistically, Harvin has basically a coin-flip's chance of playing Sunday but should be good to go if we advance past the NFCCG. Obviously the WR/DB positions not only have the highest numbers, but are likely the most significant as well (compared to interior positions where collision speed is much lower.)