Very, very, very, very good article about Pete Carroll

-The Glove-

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2022688891_seahawkscarroll17xml.html

There are two Pete Carrolls, but we usually only hear about one of them. That’s the guy we see chomping gum on the sideline and heaving footballs before games and generally having a blast. That Pete Carroll is 62 going on 30 and was once considered unfit for the NFL. Today he is held up as the antithesis of what is expected from an NFL coach.
“He defies age,” safety Earl Thomas says.
But what about the other Pete Carroll? He’s the one who notices when a player’s foot placement is slightly off at practice, who constructed the blueprint for Seattle’s defense and who will rip a player when needed.
The perception of Carroll through the years has played out like a game of tug of war. Can the coach deemed too laid back for the NFL be the same one whose team is now on the verge of the Super Bowl?

CityHawk

Reaction score
How fitting would it be for Pete to take this team to the SB, face the Patriots, and beat the Patriots in New York?

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Nice read for sure. Thanks.

I remember a vid in 2010 where you see TJ Housh walk in front of and past Pete with his hands in his pockets and Pete says get your hands out of your pockets and Housh turns back towards Pete and smiles and continues on with his hands still firmly entrenched...

A day or two later Housh is gone :lol:

I'm not saying that was reason he was cut, but I knew then Pete wasn't going to put up with shit and you'd better buy in if you wanted to hang around.

Hmm. I wonder what TJ's up to these days :hmmmm:

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
CityHawk":39m73gc8 said:
How fitting would it be for Pete to take this team to the SB, face the Patriots, and beat the Patriots in New York?

Awesome, I hadn't even connected those dots!

Donn2390

Reaction score
Now you know why I became a Seattle fan when Pete left USC. I live in So Calif and have never been to Seattle, but I have lived and died Hawk football for four years and counting. I had to live through a couple of "We hate Pete" years, but you finally figured it out.
Pete not only attracts players, he attracts fans from afar...

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":2ajazr96 said:
CityHawk":2ajazr96 said:

Awesome, I hadn't even connected those dots!

Been thinking about that one all year. Of course, if it winds up being Denver we get the 'Manning left Pete and John sitting on the tarmac' angle. Also, too (my best John Clayton), we gotta get through the Harbaugh/Carroll story line to even get there.

One of the things I love most about football is how it never fails to write its own intrigue.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Donn2390":173f8pkr said:
Now you know why I became a Seattle fan when Pete left USC. I live in So Calif and have never been to Seattle, but I have lived and died Hawk football for four years and counting. I had to live through a couple of "We hate Pete" years, but you finally figured it out.
Pete not only attracts players, he attracts fans from afar...

Can't speak for anyone else on this but I know I've always been a huge fan of PC. I didn't know much about his NFL history when we hired him I just knew he was a coach with a winning philosophy and that made me love the hire.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
I've always liked Pete as well, usc was a bad *** team. I won't pretend to have known it would turn out this well but I always thought it was a cool hire. I really hope at the end of his head coaching tenure he can mold someone in his image but I won't hold my breath, he's truly a unique guy and others have already tried and failed (Kiffin). I'm going to enjoy this era of seahawk football as much as I can. Thanks for the awesome article op.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
When PC was hired I honestly reserved myself for four years of mediocrity at best. The first year was not surprising to me but reserved judgement because of the amount of roster changes. I figured I would give him some time because he was serious about rebuilding the team. My patience was rewarded. I haven't read the article but have seen others done on him, and as much as I hated him cause I am a Duck fan he was an awesome college coach and walked the walk when he talked the talk. With what he did and still does in LA. Just the things you see from a great man.