My lone complaint regarding Lynch

plyka

Reaction score
I am loving Marshawn Lynch. I loved him when he was at Cal, although I thought he was a completely different runner at Cal. He was more of the speedy, taller, break it for a big one type of back at Cal. He is so different now that i'm actually second guessing my memory. But I digress.

Lynch is a great runner. He has the most incredible lateral movement, plus toughness. He is a powerback, but not a traditional powerback. The lateral movement he has is his most valuable asset in my opinion. It's like he is a crab, who can move as fast to the right or left as he can straight ahead. He has that toughness, that run you over attitude which is awesome.

But my lone compaint about the guy is that he doesn't have a cut and go running style. He is looking too much to break a big run and he is too indecisive before he hits the hole. He likes to dance around and then bounce it outside WAY TOO MUCH. This is a zone blocking scheme, it's really meant for 1 cut and go type backs. I think he would be much better if he was more incisive. Make your cut and hit the hole HARD.

This causes some problems for our offense. The main problem is the goal line offense. For such a GREAT running game, have you noticed how we don't have too mujch success close to the goalline? It's not a random problem, and it's not strictly Bevell and his calls. Some of this problem is due to Lynch dancing around and being indecisive. Refusing to pick a hole and hit it hard. As an example, remember the 1st and goal that the HAwks had before the end of the 1st half in the Saints game --from the 3 yard line. Bevell calls a horrible play, and Lynch starts to dance and run backwards. This is absolutely unacceptable at the 3 yard line on 1st down. In this scenario, if you gain 0 yards it's not that big of a deal. You can run it again on 2nd. But when you lose 6 yards, it creates a 2nd and goal from the 9 yard line and turns a 80% TD possession into a 25% TD possession (i'm making up these %'s but you get the point). Even if he likes to dance and move sideways in other scenarios, in this one, it is unacceptable.

I'm hoping that Lynch becomes at least a bit more decisive. It's ok to only gain 3 yards. Dont dance too much because it eliminates your momentum and gives a chance for the defense to track you down. Get UP FIELD. Run NORTH AND SOUTH!

Of course Lynch is a very important player, no one is saying otherwise. I'm just attempting to point out the one negative i see in his game.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think some of the issues you bring up are valid, I also think the Saints game he was much more cut and go, except for the sweeps left and right, he isn't that type of back and where you say he crablike in sliding around defenders but he rarely shows the cut on a dime another direction type move. I know he has it cause it has came out in the open field before. I think he crabwalks if you will in traffic to maintain his power and balance. His feet are almost always shoulder wide spread as he runs forward. It's what makes it so hard to knock him down, his base is so wide he can't be knocked off center easily.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Really he gets positive yardage out of trash most runs cause of his "looking to get tackled style". The only complaint I have against Lynch is a "seahawk" fan pretending to complain about him. Only reason we get to watch a playoff game this week is because of LYNCH. Heart and soul of the team and brings the swagger every week. Go post on the 9ers board with this nonsense.

253hawk

Reaction score
Out of all the flaws for a running back to have, that's easily the least worrisome as it's a byproduct of something not in his control (crap blocking = bad vision and increased indecisiveness.) Especially at the goal-line when the box is stuffed.

How many backs can truck a guy that has 100+ lbs on them?

[youtube]rujydVzZHXY[/youtube]

Ruminator

Reaction score
falcongoggles":p9tl93gl said:
He also has fumbles at key times. Here is to hoping that doesn't happen this week.

Yes, here's hoping. But shoot, he was phenomenal protecting the ball all 140 yards last weekend vs Saints despite their obvious attempts to jar it loose.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I had hoped that this tread would be something about his media interactions.

Be careful confusing a flaw with a style. One-cut running is good sometimes. Patience, vision and angles are good others. So while I agree that Lynch is not a one-cut-and-go guy, there's no one-cut-and-go guy in history that I would trade Lynch for.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
JerHawk81":1pqb1824 said:

Be careful confusing a flaw with a style. One-cut running is good sometimes. Patience, vision and angles are good others. So while I agree that Lynch is not a one-cut-and-go guy, there's no one-cut-and-go guy in history that I would trade Lynch for.

Terrell Davis. I would trade Lynch for him immediately. Emmitt Smith is another, although he was less one cut and go. I'm sure there are a lot others.

If you watch Lynch, sometimes there is a hole wide open in the middle of the field, but he doesn't hit the hole, instead he attempts to bounce it outside where there is no hole. Just take what the defense gives you. I watched this offensive line closely, and they have been run blocking very well. It's Lynch's job to take advantage. Try to take more runs where they are designed, which is up the middle instead of outside.

ManBunts

Reaction score
plyka":247ojp8g said:
JerHawk81":247ojp8g said:

Terrell Davis. I would trade Lynch for him immediately. Emmitt Smith is another, although he was less one cut and go. I'm sure there are a lot others.

If you watch Lynch, sometimes there is a hole wide open in the middle of the field, but he doesn't hit the hole, instead he attempts to bounce it outside where there is no hole. Just take what the defense gives you. I watched this offensive line closely, and they have been run blocking very well. It's Lynch's job to take advantage. Try to take more runs where they are designed, which is up the middle instead of outside.

I wouldn't trade Lynch for anyone. Seriously! And yes, there have been better backs in history, but his style meshes so well with our team. How many times has our offense been flailing and then Beast Mode comes out. Not with a fancy Barry Sasnders-esque run, dancing around defenders like they're poles, but just trucking through them. Showing that we can shoulder a load, fight through and persevere. Frankly this TD run against the Giants, to me, is the epitome of his effort and will in running the ball and I think one of his best runs. Sure it's only like 4 yards, but any other back would've gone down at the 1. Lynch doesn't. I wouldn't trade that second effort for anything
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 37f13086b3

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I have no complaints regarding Lynch. What I find funny is how lost he looks in the open field. Instead of making a beeline toward the endzone in the open field, he looks anxious and jittery (must be all those skittles). He is what he is. Lucky for the Seahawks, he's very good.

seadoc30

Reaction score
The best thing about Lynch is even if he is not getting yards, he makes the defense work and drains them.. thats why RW functions well in the 4th quarter.

I seriously don't know where this offense and RW would have been without Lynch. This guy makes RW'S job 90% easier imo.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Pretty sure it was after his last touchdown last week where he's on the sideline yelling at a team mate, "I promise you! I promise you!". Can't find it anywhere now, but if you saw it, you know what he was promising. I, for one, trust him and that he'll do all he can to make good on that promise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":ye1k867u said:
But my lone compaint about the guy is that he doesn't have a cut and go running style. He is looking too much to break a big run and he is too indecisive before he hits the hole. He likes to dance around and then bounce it outside WAY TOO MUCH. This is a zone blocking scheme, it's really meant for 1 cut and go type backs. I think he would be much better if he was more incisive. Make your cut and hit the hole HARD..

One of the things that separates great running backs from average RB's is patience. What you're really saying is you'd like Lynch to have LESS patience and just hit the hole, whether the hole's there or not.

Holes don't always open up quickly, especially in the zone blocking scheme. The Hawks run a lot of stretch plays, which take time to develop. You don't want your RB being impatient, you want him to do what Lynch does, wait for the hole to open up..............then hit it with the ferocity of 1,000 dying suns.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
My only complaint about Lynch is that he has to take a breather every now and then.