Report: Browns very high on Dan Quinn as a Head Coach

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9279/dan-quinn
FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Seahawks DC Dan Quinn is high on the Browns' list for their head-coaching vacancy.
Quinn interviewed with the Browns on the first of the year. The Seahawks are still in the playoffs, so he can't talk with Cleveland again until Seattle is bounced or wins the Super Bowl. The Browns don't seem to be in any rush to make a hire, so they're likely perfectly content with that. They also want to speak with Broncos OC Adam Gase. Per Glazer, Quinn is showing much more interest in the Browns opening than Gase. Bills DC Mike Pettine's interview reportedly also went well. Jan 17 - 1:07 PM

Love Dan Quinn. I'd be pretty surprised if he got a head coaching job so quickly, but if he is the man for the job, so be it. I'd be happy for him and happy for Pete, as I'm sure he feels like a proud papa when this happens. Oh well, when you are good, this sort of thing is inevitable. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing the 49ers lose a coordinator once in a while.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Dan don't do it! One of the rare instances in being a coordinator is better than being a coach.

He'll get a better job next year if he came back in 2014. I guarantee it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I've been really happy that all these Head Coaching locations are getting gobbled up while we're still in the Playoffs. Thought Quinn might be back.

The Browns are going to screw everything up.

Shock2k

Reaction score
You know, a head coaching job is harder then getting a CEO job for a billion dollar company. Is it just one of those things that you CAN'T turn down? You are on a good team with the top defense in the NFL that may not last past free agency. I just don't know. It would tough to turn it down, you never know when the chance would come again.

But giving up a multi-possible championship position to go to a team that fires a HC after one year that lost 3 QB's in one season (I mean come on!) would seem like a big risk. Though, it's very American to think "it's not going to happen to me."

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
He's got to ask himself why the Browns have fired their head coaches so often and if that's really the kind of environment that someone can succeed in.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Buck the Frowns! I won't mind him leaving next year honestly I like to see these guys get chances. Shows the type of organization PC/JS has developed. But I think the two most toxic jobs you could take would be the Browns And the Skins.

jblaze

Reaction score
You only get one shot and why would you go where you're setup to fail and they give you 1 year?

Don't do it Dan! Be smart, they will come with time!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Lol of course they are highly interested in him. The music stopped and they're the last one standing without a chair.

I'm surprised Quinn is actually interested in that job. Ownership and FO have shown they have no patience in their head coaches. What happened to Chud was universally regarded around the league as not only suprising, but wrong. They set Chud up to fail, and I'd rather work under a guy like Carroll for another year or two than jump at the worst HC job in the league.

I like Quinn and I'd like him to stay, but I honestly think that job is tied for the worst in the NFL along with the Redskins. Chudskinksi got stuck with basically no QB, then got a nobody to start playing great football, then the guy blows his ACL out and you're stuck with washouts, journeyman QBs (at best) and the last failed regimes 1st round bust at QB. WHen it didn't work out (shocker!) he gets canned after one year. Basically no personnel input, and then he's gone with guys he inherited.

It's also widely believed that it takes a good year (1/2 a year at best) to implement a new system and get it smoothed out.

OP
OP
Missing_Clink

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1uwje1le said:
He's got to ask himself why the Browns have fired their head coaches so often and if that's really the kind of environment that someone can succeed in.

I'm sure they are telling him (rightly) that the team and the fanbase is desperate for the right coach to come in and turn the thing around and be adored as a legend for all time... "And we think you could be the man for that job Dan."

He may be buying in to that line of thought. More power to him if he is the guy.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawks46":1bc0xbwi said:
Lol of course they are highly interested in him. The music stopped and they're the last one standing without a chair.

I'm surprised Quinn is actually interested in that job. Ownership and FO have shown they have no patience in their head coaches. What happened to Chud was universally regarded around the league as not only suprising, but wrong. They set Chud up to fail, and I'd rather work under a guy like Carroll for another year or two than jump at the worst HC job in the league.

I like Quinn and I'd like him to stay, but I honestly think that job is tied for the worst in the NFL along with the Redskins. Chudskinksi got stuck with basically no QB, then got a nobody to start playing great football, then the guy blows his ACL out and you're stuck with washouts, journeyman QBs (at best) and the last failed regimes 1st round bust at QB. WHen it didn't work out (shocker!) he gets canned after one year. Basically no personnel input, and then he's gone with guys he inherited.

It's also widely believed that it takes a good year (1/2 a year at best) to implement a new system and get it smoothed out.

I thought it was about 2 years to implement a new system. It usually takes a year to 2 years to get the personnel. Then to teach them a system in preseason is still a walk thru. Then the practical is about half a season if it will work. Then adjustments thru the year. Mainly it is getting the proper personnel to apply the new system. I think we took about 2-2.5 years to get our system to fit. Go Hawks.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
There was also a report two days ago saying that the reason that the Browns hadn't hired anybody yet was because they already plan to offer the Job to Denver's Offensive Coordinator Adam Case.

It's almost impossible to believe anything about coaching hires until a formal hire is actually made. Reporters can always find a "source" that will tell them just about anything they want to hear.

Shock2k

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":fevqentq said:
There was also a report two days ago saying that the reason that the Browns hadn't hired anybody yet was because they already plan to offer the Job to Denver's Offensive Coordinator Adam Case.

It's almost impossible to believe anything about coaching hires until a formal hire is actually made. Reporters can always find a "source" that will tell them just about anything they want to hear.

That's a good point, Shefter and Glazer both make their living off dropping "the latest hotest news."

There was a real awkward interview between Sandmeyer on CBS sports radio and Dan Quinn, and they actually asked him about the Tennessee job being closed, and he literally didn't know how to react to the question. I've never seen a coach get totally stumped by a question. To me it meant it was the absolute last thing on his mind. (Though of course I can't tell what is in his mind, just me impression).

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't do it, Dan. Ask Pete about becoming a head coach for the first time with bad ownership/management (the Jets owner replaced him with Rich Kotite for crying out loud!). Reports are Whiz said he wouldn't take the Browns job unless there were changes made elsewhere in the organization.

Just say no.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
Thats the pits, was REALLY hoping Bevel would get a shot at this job

He REALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!