Intriguing stat from NFL network

kearly

Reaction score
Heard this from someone I know who was watching NFL network all day.

The Seahawks and 49ers have two of the top four defenses in the NFL this season. It is the 10th time in NFL history two teams with top four defenses have met in a conference championship game.

The winners of all nine previous such contests went on to win the Super Bowl.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Awesome. Though, the 49ers defense hasn't really been a top-four unit this year, IMO; though I'll take it. :)

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I agree Roland. They were probably going off yardage or points.

Seattle's defense this year SMOKED the rest of the NFL, almost 10 points better than 2nd place in DVOA and more than 10 points better than second place in weighted DVOA (-30.0%) (!!!). Our team's defense went from "maybe elite", to "elite", to "GOAT discussion" the last 3 years.

SF's defense ranked just 13th in DVOA. It was only 4.6% superior to the league average. Seattle's defense was 25.6% superior to the league average.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
You see the insane DVOA value our secondary has? It had Scott Kacsmar at FO drooling, hahaha.

Man, I hope we keep Quinn at least another year. Don't go to Cleveland, Dan! It's where careers of all kinds go to die!!

Axx

Reaction score
another interesting stat, in all the the past 6 visits between Pete and Harbaugh. The 49ers have ONLY scored 5 TDs.

Pete has harbaughs number

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Here's another stat I saw...

The Seahawks are the 4th team in NFL History to lead the league in INTs and Total Defense.

The other 3 teams went to the Super Bowl.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
We realistically have one of the best defenses in the history of the league. We win us a Super Bowl and we're right up there with the 76 Steelers, 85 Bears & 00 Ravens. Legitimately.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2wmt3c6j said:
We realistically have one of the best defenses in the history of the league. We win us a Super Bowl and we're right up there with the 76 Steelers, 85 Bears & 00 Ravens. Legitimately.

I think so too, ESPECIALLY if we win and the defense allows 10 points or less in this game and the superbowl if we go and they bail out the offense.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
These stats and stuff scare me. I have a good feeling about this game but these things always seem to backfire. Like hearing the announcer state well it has never happened before just before it happens.

I hope this is not the case but every time I read stuff like this it scares me so I thought I should write it down to hopefully remove any jinx that seems to often come with these things.

Fingers crossed. Hope everything goes as the stats suggest they should.

Go Hawks.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
Lovely as these stats are, they prove nothing. Seattle is also the only Super Bowl team in history to lead in all three major non-scoring offensive stats during the Big Game--total yards, time of possession, and number of first downs--and still lose. I hope the NFL doesn't find some darling in SF to make the refs shift the weight.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
StorytellerMatt":254lsfhd said:
Lovely as these stats are, they prove nothing. Seattle is also the only Super Bowl team in history to lead in all three major non-scoring offensive stats during the Big Game--total yards, time of possession, and number of first downs--and still lose. I hope the NFL doesn't find some darling in SF to make the refs shift the weight.
That should tell you why we lost.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The guys on the NFL network NFC Playbook show have been laying the wood to us. They did a segment calling Sweezy out as a dirty player and then followed it up with a segment that said the LOB cheat. They even called out an official by name and said the game depends on whether or not he calls PI by the NFL rule book. They have been right about one thing though. We will not be able to run against their front unless we show them some looks they haven't seen before. If Bevel has some deceptive plays and formations now is the time to use them.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":58pu5vf4 said:
The guys on the NFL network NFC Playbook show have been laying the wood to us. They did a segment calling Sweezy out as a dirty player and then followed it up with a segment that said the LOB cheat. They even called out an official by name and said the game depends on whether or not he calls PI by the NFL rule book. They have been right about one thing though. We will not be able to run against their front unless we show them some looks they haven't seen before. If Bevel has some deceptive plays and formations now is the time to use them.
Well now, they're setting it up to call it tight which hurts us badly. NOT a good sign folks.