So Which Team is More Physical (number crunching)

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
While size isn't everything it's always interesting to take a look at the measurables when there's so much "who's the more physical team?" talk going on.

Using NFL.com rosters for consistent HT/WGHT measures I came up with the following numbers*

1. Uses 12 players on Offense and Defense (extra WR, extra CB)
2. Only used starters, obviously Seahawks depth on D doesn't get factored in (stamina related)
3. Included KJ Wright instead of Smith, 49ers 6'4 300lb FB included (may not play/start)**

Seahawks Offense
Average Player - 6'2 2/5 ft. 255lbs, 26 1/2 years old
Niners Offense
Average Player - 6'3 ft. 268lbs, 28 years old

Seahawks Defense
Average Player - 6'2 ft. 246lbs, 26 1/3 years old
Niners Defense
Average Player - 6'2 2/5 ft 255lbs, 26 1/2 years old

Doesn't alleviate my worries about the 49ers mauling offense but interesting how close the numbers are. I'm going to throw it in a excel or google doc and work on position groups and matchups (ex. Hawks Dline vs. 49ers Oline). Just from looking at the numbers both Dlines are comparable the 49ers Linebackers dwarf ours as our DBs dwarf theirs.

They are certainly heavier on the O-line and our offensive measurable are reduced greatly by having 3 5"10 200lbs players.

*1: Pretty sure I've now done more work on the seahawks this year than Terry Blount.

**2: The two hawks defenders who arguably should be included M.Smith and Avril are 6'1 225 and 6'3 252 averages out to 6'2 238lbs 25 1/2 years old. Seems we do have a bit of a profile hah

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Drug up some 40 times for each teams skill positions, used at least 2 sources for each player to try and normalize the time. 3WR, 1QB, 1RB, 1TE

Sea avg skill player 40 time: 4.48
SF avg skill player 40 time: 4.53

Fastest player: Vernon Davis 4.38
Slowest: Boldin 4.72
Most surprising: pre old man Zack Miller with his 4.53
Of course Zack miller isn't running a 4.5 anymore, that said I doubt Gore is at a 4.55. Boldin may still be 4.72 LOL.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
CandlestickBum":3ln7e4f4 said:
QB: Even
TE: 49ers
RB SH
WR: 49ers
OL: 49ers
Secondary: SH
Line Backers: 49ers
Defensive Line: 49ers
Special Teams: SH
Coaching: Even

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/01/16 ... -the-edge/

Can't give Dline to SF, its a push if I'm doing my very best to be polite.

Avril, Mebane, Bennett, Clemons, Bryant, McDaniel, McDonald and O'Brien Schofield. We have 3 black irishmen for crying out loud :D. More importantly all of them should be starting in this league.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
49ers are playing in our house.

QB: Seahawks
RB: Seahawks
WR/TE: 49ers
OL: Even

DL: Seahawks
LB: Even
DB: Seahawks

ST: Even

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2cjchsud said:

Even with my largest homer glasses on you have to respect SF Oline and LBers, probably the best in the league in both categories.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Who cares about that junk?

The Hawks have been dominant physically at home and pretty much even in the Stick.

Height, Weight and 40 times don't mean anything while these 2 play. The only time I see any Seahawks getting pushed around by a Niner in the Clink is after the play is over and the Seahawk isn't looking. I have watched them all since 2010 and before. I have seen Willis knocked around by MikeRob, Aldon Smith blocked to the sidelines by Zach Miller and Okung. Joe Staley reaching out to hold Clemons and Anthony Davis/Iupati both get bull rushed by Red Bryant and company.
The Hawks bring it in their house. The bigger the game, the more physical they are. The energy is just overwhelming and it is easy to see from the stands. I gotta get some rest. Good thing this game is after 3.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1iek06xq said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1iek06xq said:

Even with my largest homer glasses on you have to respect SF Oline and LBers, probably the best in the league in both categories.

Nah, I don't have to, according to FO the 49ers ranked 29th in run blocking and 22nd in pass blocking.

They had 1 starter miss 4 games, and had the 4 other starters make 16 starts.

Seahawks on the other hand had 4 starters miss 20 games and had 0 players make all 16 starts.

You're telling me a 9ers O-Line that was healthier, more consistent, as well as more experienced would have done substantially better than 29th in Run Blocking and 22nd in Pass Blocking.

Compared to the Seahawks, who FO ranked 9th in Run Blocking and ofcourse 32nd in Pass Blocking.

Also, obviously if this was played on a neutral field 49ers would get more advantages, but its not and that's where another downgrade for their O-Line comes into play. Because the NOISE is going to crush them, in Week 2 Seahawks were without Clemons and Irvin plus Mebane and McDaniel were still shaking off groin injuries. Yet, our D-Line had our way with their O-Line.

And of course their LBers are amazing. But I would say ours against their offense, there is a bigger advantage. 12th man creates a big handicap.

Besides Wagner imo might not be as good as Bowman or Willis but he's not far behind, and one could argue is more well rounded. Irvin does his job so well he's practically invisible each game but so is his assignment(s). Wright is probably the smartest LBer on the field and he'll likely be the most fired up as well with a month of pent up angst. All in all, the Seahawks LBers do their job well and not something I would consider a weakness in the Seahawks title of #1 D in the NFL. They also rank among the best in shutting down receiving RBs and TEs.

I'm not saying Seahawks LBers are better than 49ers LBers, just that the Seahawks LBers @ CLink vs (a handicapped) SFO's offense is going to have similar or equal impact on the game as San Fran's LBers vs the Seahawks Offense.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Same thing with the O-Line, not saying Seahawks O-Line is better than San Fran's only that with all thing considered the Seahawks O-Line vs San Fran's front 7 will have similar or equal play to San Fran's O-Line vs. Seattle's front 7.

Its not about being a homer and donning rose color glasses, its understanding the situation San Fran is, the history of their last 2 games at the CLINK, and just making a smart assumption based off those facts.

Not saying Seahawks are a better team than San Fran, however, I am saying @ the CLINK, Seahawks probably are the better team 9 times out of 10.

bigcc

Reaction score
how is their average offensive starter 24 when the only player on their offense that young is Anthony Davis?

Kaep-26
gore-30
tukuafu-30
boldin-33
crabtree-26

etc. etc.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
bigcc":3c4tzhjt said:
how is their average offensive starter 24 when the only player on their offense that young is Anthony Davis?

Kaep-26
gore-30
tukuafu-30
boldin-33
crabtree-26

etc. etc.

I'm glad you brought this up.

I took

Kaep 26
Gore 30
Miller 26 (on I.R. but younger than Tuku)
Crabtree 26
Boldin 33
Davis 29
Staley 29
Boone 26
Goodwin 35
Ipuati 26
Davis 24

310/11 = about 28 years and 2 months

For the Seahawks...

Wilson 25
Lynch 27
Robinson 30
Tate 25
Baldwin 25
Miller 28
Okung 26
Bowie 22
Unger 27
Sweezy 24
Giacomini 28

287/11 = about 26 years and 1 month.

Bowie kind of throws things off but Carpenter is only 24. So its not a huge difference.

If you replaced Baldwin and Tate with Rice (27) and Harvin (25) you only see a +2 increase.

One could also argue that Luke Willson (23) gets more snaps than M-Rob and could be seen as that 11th guy.

OP
OP
TheRealDTM

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
bigcc":2zvov7vc said:

Kaep-26
gore-30
tukuafu-30
boldin-33
crabtree-26

etc. etc.

I must have missed a players age when adding it up, let me redo that

edit: indeed I missed a player is my excel formula, it is indeed 28 :)