What is the Big Deal on the Running Into The Kicker?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Why are 49ers fans crying foul on that? Do they know the rules states:

Roughing the kicker = hitting the kicking leg

Running into the kicker = hitting the non-kicking leg

Maragos had one of the most nonchalant running into the punter penalties ever, he was flying into the punter but completely went dead dropping his weight towards the ground and barely nicked the punter who would simultaneously step into Marago's helmet.

Back in the 49ers game @ SF, if I remember correctly, didn't Osgood block that punt running into Ryan's kicking leg while completely obliterating him in the process?

Uthawk

Reaction score
Broadcast and Mike Pereira explained it just the opposite. According to them, Roughing the kicker is running into the plant leg iirc. I'll have to look up the rule

Rufus

Reaction score
If you actually block the punt then it's game on and you can destroy the punter.

If the punter gets the kick off then you have to treat them like they're a protected endangered species cross-bred from fainting goats and Italian soccer players, made of delicate crystal and unicorn tears.

dan2314

Reaction score
pretty sure its the opposite and they shouldve got a first down.. we got away with one there. aswell as the bowman recovery. atleast that one got given straight back to them by russ/shawn and we wont have to hear about that all week.

BlueOne

Reaction score
Ya we got away with one on the punt, it was a bad call. That said, we got screwed on Kapernick kicking that fumble of his away from the Seahawks which allowed their 2nd TD, also the holding call on Giacomini was non-existent.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
I don't think we got away with one. Their punter in the middle of punting actually went up and landed on our guys hand. If they wanted to get "technical" They could've called it. But the same sense they could've called roughing the passer on every other sack cause at some point they make contact with his helmet. Luckily these refs tried not to make pointless game changing BS

themunn

Reaction score
I don't like roughing or running into the punter rule at all anyway, I obviously love if it ever gets called against us, but I think it's a daft rule as it's clear that Maragos is going for the ball and Lee's leg hitting him is incidental contact. If the non-kicking leg is on the ground when the punter is hit, then that's a different matter, but how can you account for how far the punter is travelling through the air?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It looked to me like their punter came down on our guy. When it happend Aikman said we leveled the punter but when they showed it again the guy was barely touched and did a flop.

Zybot

Reaction score
Who thinks that they would have scored any points on that drive? They were not exactly doing a great job of keeping possession of the ball or moving it.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
That was an easy 5 yard call. Jon Ryan was hit harder this year and it was only a 5 yarder.