Haushka decided not to kick it.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
He has been money all year, especially last night. Haushka is mannn.

I liked this part "Plus, he has an advantage. The Seahawks will be practicing at the Giants' facility, which is just across the parking lot from MetLife Stadium. The Broncos will be at the Jets' place in Florham Park."I get to practice right next to the stadium," Hauschka said. "We'll get used to it."

Glad we got a practice game there earlier vs the Giants.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Interesting. I notice his 47-yarder later barely cleared the uprights. Sounds like #4 knew he didn't have the leg into the wind that day.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This might be one of the most awesome things about this team I have ever heard.

Years of tell the truth Monday pay off when a player tells the truth to the coach, and it ends up being one the biggest plays in team history.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm glad he trusted his instincts and wasn't afraid to tell the coach. This is one of the main reasons we won yesterday, deciding not to go for that kick and throwing instead.

Even if the pass had been incomplete, we would have moved 5 yards closer for the FG try with the offsides penalty. Hauschka has been money all year and he proved yesterday that he's a very good kicker.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete said after the game, that Hauschka couldn't hit from that distance in pre-game warm ups, and unless something changed drastically between pre-game and then, attempting that kick would have been fruitless. I thought for sure that we'd end up seeing a patented 8 yard Russell Wilson run for the first down there until I saw the Niners jump. As soon as that happened it opened up the big play opportunity. Glad that Wilson recognized that and went for it all.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That 4th and 7 play was a beauty. I love our kicker too man, that was cool what he said.

gulliver

Reaction score
I realize this will sound pathetic in contrast to professional NFLers, but there will be some parallels given football kickers' frequent soccer backgrounds.

I used to play soccer for Emerald City as a defender in the 1990s until I was about 18/19. I was the designated penalty kicker, and--this is the part where it gets pathetic, sorry--I was ice. Just a defender and I was 2nd leading scorer on the team just from penalty kicks; I never missed.

But in the state quarterfinals, we got a PK and it just didn't feel right. I told my coach it didn't feel right--and he sloughed it off; made me take it anyway. I took it, and missed. We lost by one goal and our theretofore dominating season was over.

There is something to be said for trusting your instincts when you're a guy depended upon for accuracy, and I'm a huge fan of Pete hearing Hauschka out.

seadoc30

Reaction score
I am questioning that call to go for it on 4th, especially the receivers all running go routes.. This is the thing I can't figure out about this offense.. Why not run something short for once instead of everything being 30+ yard passes. We caught a break there, but 9/10, the receiver doesn't comedown with that catch.

kidhawk

Reaction score
seadoc30":b0vmpzt8 said:
I am questioning that call to go for it on 4th, especially the receivers all running go routes.. This is the thing I can't figure out about this offense.. Why not run something short for once instead of everything being 30+ yard passes. We caught a break there, but 9/10, the receiver doesn't comedown with that catch.

Many teams teach their players that when a guy jumps offside and the flag comes out, go for the big play. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had designed a Wilson run for 1st down that turned into a TD pass after the Niner jumped offside

DrDix

Reaction score
I think that play was designed. They tried to get them to jump, which they have done sooo much at Clink, it worked, took the shot and it payed off.

mikeak

Reaction score
seadoc30":3w3cd6ry said:

There is a post in a different thread (sorry don't remember exactly where I read it probably was Kearly's thought thread).

It was called by the team as a short pass play.

RW said in the huddle that he would do a hard-count and if they jumped this would be the play they would run as a free play

Supposedly RW said this in a post game interview

He must have watched what happened when they got into the redzone so wanted to avoid that problem :)