Just rewatched the game on DVR

Erebus

Reaction score
The niners could've very easily been shutout. Their first points came on a drive with no first downs, set up by Wilson's fumble.

Their second scoring drive started with a muffed punt by LaMichael James, and took a lucky bounce for the niners. They also extended that drive by a BS holding call on Sherman.

Their third scoring drive also involved a fumble and lucky bounce. This one was by Kaepernick, and it was recovered by an o-lineman.

There was also a reception by Quinton Patton that could've been called a fumble, and Thurmond recovered and took it into the end zone. I think it may have been overturned if challenged.

In all, they could've had 7 turnovers.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Well I wont agree that with 17 points it could have been an easy shutout.

But I will take that sentiment over the negative garbage that was all over this board after the last WIN.

keasley45

Reaction score
what gets me is that there are some in the media claiming that the better team lost... that the 9ers gave it away? wtf? ive heard arguments that the hawks were only able to move the ball on chance plays... the bomb to baldwin and 4th down strike to Kearse and that if you remove those plays, we didnt do much. ok so if we are playing by those rules, then you have to also wipe-out 50% of san fran's offense because most of it came on dead plays where Kap made something out of the nothing we offered him. amazing! we crushed them on 3rd down conversion until the last drive, only allowed one real scoring drive forced 3 TO's and imposed our will on them in the running game. if anything, like you said, our inability to close the deal gave them a chance...

amazing... but expected.

and you know that if it was manning who tossed that td on 4th down the media would be on their knees, in tears, proclaiming his brilliance and calm under pressure. that it was the type of opportunity that only one of the best to ever play the game would have the savvy to create.

hate it... but love it! let them keep talking.

Go Hawks!

mikeak

Reaction score
That was not a BS holding call. It was super 100% clear and should be called EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I don't care what anyone says.

it was a huge mistake by Sherman. His guy was 5-7 yards SHORT of the 1st down marker. He cannot make that contact there. If the guy is breaking free etc - I get it. Not there.

Don't know how anyone watches it and calls it BS

sc85sis

Reaction score
People claiming that those two big plays were just luck are right--and wrong. Of course there's some luck involved. There's also a ton of skill. Russell had to get free and then he had to make amazing throws. That TD to Kearse went through the tiniest little window; it was an amazing throw.

There was also luck involved in the way the ball bounced right back to the 49ers a couple of times. That's football. People claiming the better team lost are just eating sour grapes. The 49ers said that Seattle played great and rightly won the game. And they would know better than some fans or mediots who might declare otherwise.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
mikeak":w1p560ia said:
That was not a BS holding call. It was super 100% clear and should be called EVERY SINGLE TIME.

it was a huge mistake by Sherman. His guy was 5-7 yards SHORT of the 1st down marker. He cannot make that contact there. If the guy is breaking free etc - I get it. Not there.

It was BS because it was within 5 yards of the LOS.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
skater18000":3pyit6ss said:
I believe it wasn't Patten, Vernon Davis rather.

Nope, very clearly Patton. Happened in the 2nd quarter (5:13 remaining), 3rd and 12 from their 18 yard line. Just double checked on the DVR.

I believe you're thinking of Davis's catch in the 3rd quarter. He fumbled that one and recovered it himself, but they called it incomplete, which was a break for us.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I re-watched it too last night. Couldn't sleep I was so excited. I saw the same thing and a bunch of other details too.

A small thing that could have had a huge impact was that Avril strip sack in the fourth. After Bennet picks it up and is rumbling to the end zone ET hustles up and literally takes out the O-lineman with the best angle out to clear the path to the end zone. Irvin is running with them and all he had to do was get behind Bennett and slow down the other two lineman and Bennett would have easily scored making it 27-17 at the time. Instead he ran himself ahead and out of the play allowing the lineman to catch him. A small thing but still would have made a huge difference in the game there. Hope they learn from these little details.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":3l7pmz5r said:

Concur 100%.

I also agree with the OP that there were quite a number of bounces that went the Whiners way in the first half. Our team overcame that. We are SB bound. To hell with the national media.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
mikeak":10ba0brl said:

Yeah it was the right call.

mikeak

Reaction score
Erebus":3jkskiwy said:
mikeak":3jkskiwy said:

Doesn't mean you can hold..... need to look up the rules - sorry it was clearly the proper call
Also go back and look. Beyond LOS on the play from where the ball was snapped on that third down

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
Okay, I can admit being wrong on that one. I know the rules, but was temporarily confusing holding and illegal contact.

But that drive still could've started with a turnover when James muffed the punt.

mikeak

Reaction score
Agreed

Now there is an obscure rule in the NFL. If the punt hits you in the chest and bounces straight up then you still have the right to the football and can't be hit.

Not sure if that was the miffed punt or later that was close to that. This time around the punt went behind the player kind of so not sure if the rule would have applied

There is no doubt that every ball bounced the 49ers way. The Kaep fumble that was recovered by the Center should have been a penalty though. Kaep kicks it forward intentionallly.

Don't get me wrong - I believe that was a really smart play and can't fault anyone for not flagging it. Doesn't change the fact that they got away with one.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":2og3r5jp said:
..........There is no doubt that every ball bounced the 49ers way. The Kaep fumble that was recovered by the Center should have been a penalty though. Kaep kicks it forward intentionallly.

Don't get me wrong - I believe that was a really smart play and can't fault anyone for not flagging it. Doesn't change the fact that they got away with one.
Yeah it was intentional for sure and quite obvious when you saw it in slo-mo on the replay. In fairness to the officials when you saw it in real time you couldn't tell he did that. Perhaps if a ref would've had the same angle as the slo-mo replay camera and had been staring right at the ball and by extension Kaep's foot then the call is made. Otherwise, I see why he got away with that one.

Frohawk25360

Reaction score
Erebus":3254ttoy said:
mikeak":3254ttoy said:

ball was in the air contact while ball in air is pi it was close tho

Exittium

Reaction score
Ok wait... So why your all saying is.. It was good call.. But should have been called on boldin a lot more as well since once again he was to his usual sh!t

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I hate holding calls that are kinda so-so the one on Sherman was that type. There are many other times from both sides the same type of hold not called.

baumer64

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":2ierg1i6 said:
mikeak":2ierg1i6 said:

Yeah it was the right call.

I'm going on memory here as I haven't seen game replay yet. What I saw on that play was Crabby running straight and pushing Sherm. Yes Sherman had a hold of his shoulders but contact was initiated and continued by Crabby. In other words, Crabby was also guilty of offensive PI. In my mind, should have been a no call because of mutual contact.