Oline question

SeahawkSack

Reaction score
Ok so is it time to talk football again?

I'm curious how some of you X's and O's guys thought the Oline did yesterday? I can't remember watching, I was so jacked and nervous... And totally sober. I was STUNNED to see Bowie inactive. Did Carp hold his own? I saw Bailey in a few times.

What do you think we roll out there for the Super Bowl?

In another thread somewhere many we're calling for drafting all Oline, etc. do we think any of these guys can be the answer in the future?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
all 22 isn't out until tomorrow.

First impressions were that it was very inconsistent, but when they began to focus on opening interior lanes, it got really good. The interior of the Niner line was blown off the ball several times.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I thought the O-line looked great running the ball once they got going. I thought Carp was playing pissed off and was a total road grader. He was pimping Aldon Smith on those run blocks. Loved the idea of Bailey playing TE on that mini-beastquake run. He threw a great block to spring Marshawn.

Once again though they looked sub-par in Pass pro. They just didn't have any answers for SF's blitzes. I'm still waiting to see Russ take advantage of that green grass behind the blitz he keeps talking about. Luckily though we showed we can survive a heavy blitz regime from the 2nd best D in the league, so I'm not panicing about what kind of heat Denver will be able to bring (though I have to admit to being a little relieved they're not going to have to deal with Von Miller or Doomerville).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was also sober as a nun and I thought the OL stunk, especially in the first half. Their front 7 OWNED our OL. So much heat has been on RW and while I get that he should take some of the blame, to me the vast majority of his struggles come from a shuffling OL that is not giving him the pocket protection and time to set his feet and go through his reads like Kapernick and Manning and other QBs with great OL's seem to do.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I thought the SF blitzes were excellent, because they had to overload the O-line and let Russ tuck the ball rather than hot read it. Hard to blame the O-line for those disasters in my opinion, just like you can't blame Miller for releasing and running a route on that Wilson fumble. Ball's gotta go.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3ljbli0a said:
I thought the SF blitzes were excellent, because they had to overload the O-line and let Russ tuck the ball rather than hot read it. Hard to blame the O-line for those disasters in my opinion, just like you can't blame Miller for releasing and running a route on that Wilson fumble. Ball's gotta go.

I was kinda thinking the same thing actually. The o-line wasn't exactly great in pass pro, but SF really just won the numbers game on a lot of those blitzes. They sent more guys than we had blockers to pick up and gambled that we wouldn't be able to take advantage. They gambled right. Rusty has to be a lot more decisive in those situations and either throw it or run. He takes WAY too much time looking for the open guy, and usually gets eaten in the process.

Erebus

Reaction score
CANHawk":307pxl65 said:
Sarlacc83":307pxl65 said:

I was kinda thinking the same thing actually. The o-line wasn't exactly great in pass pro, but SF really just won the numbers game on a lot of those blitzes. They sent more guys than we had blockers to pick up and gambled that we wouldn't be able to take advantage. They gambled right. Rusty has to be a lot more decisive in those situations and either throw it or run. He takes WAY too much time looking for the open guy, and usually gets eaten in the process.

Thats the impression I got when I watched it again. Each individual blocker did okay (not great) one-on-one with a pass rusher, but they had no answer for being outnumbered on blitzes.