For those who attended both NFCCG's

rjdriver

Reaction score
Please compare and contrast. What was it like and what was the difference? I'm super jealous, I turned to wife and said "I would give anything to be there".
There have been many threads throughout the years asking to post your most memorable Seahawk game. Its almost always the NFCCG against Carolina. Was this one better?

This may sound crazy, but I kind of get the feeling (from lack of posts) that this one in a weird way seemed a little less magical to those who attended. True or False? There is always something special about the first one, and I think this time we are universally less satisfied with just being conference champs. Maybe I'm way off base, but I'm curious to get the opinions of a few of you who had the privilege of attending both

Riley12

Reaction score
Last night was a better game and more unbelievable. Like Kam or someone said, it was like a super hero movie where you wonder
how the hero is going to escape and save the day. You are stressed and worried but, in the end, the hero wins the day.

I should say, it was real life playing out as a amazing work of fiction. In that way, it surpasses the '05 NFCCG.

The '05-'06 NFCCG was a party from start to finish. We jumped out on top and it was just one celebration after another.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Riley12":2ff3rebh said:
The '05-'06 NFCCG was a party from start to finish. We jumped out on top and it was just one celebration after another.

'05 was a huge party. I was 3 sheets to the wind and had a splitting headache all game.

This year was like going to school as a kid and knowing you were going to fight your enemy.

jman316

Reaction score
First time I saw a large group of grown men crying and hugging each other was after the NFCCG in 05.
It had been such a long time (since 84) that I'll bet some fans were wondering if they'd still be around to see the Hawks finally make it to the Bowl.

This year we were expected to go deep in the playoffs and had many similarly hard-fought wins. It still really hasn't sunk in for me... I suppose the 1-0 mentality has spread to the fan base as well. We all know we have some unfinished business in NJ. Last time we were just happy to be invited to the dance

It was crazier outside the stadium after the win last night than in 2005.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
The party analogy makes sense guys. We jumped on them early and didn't look back. A three hour celebration as opposed to a nail biting battle.

SEAHAWKBLITZ

Reaction score
Both games were the same to me. Because after both of them I got an email from the Seahawks telling me I wasn't getting Super Bowl Tickets.

For real though, the '05 game was more fun because we knew we had em by halftime, the place was rocking, the fans were partying, the players were dancing in the huddle, Thunderous "Super Bowl" chants began at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Last nights game, while being a much better game from a fan's perspective, from a Seahawks fans perspective, it wasn't really fun till it was over, because the game could have gone either way. Basically, we had to wait a lot longer for the party to start. But at least it started, and we get one more game!

HawkinInLA

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying these are the only two home games I've been to. I drove up from California both times and each game was worth every second of the 18 hour drive.

In 05 I sat in the 300 level and the first word to come to mind is, crazy. The noise was unbelievable from start to finish. The feeling was tense when the game started but it quickly turned into a big party as the Seahawks jumped on them early and never looked back. It seemed like there was never really any doubt once that game started. It seemed like there were hardly any Panther fans around us and the ones that were there got quite really quick.

Against the Niners I sat in the Hawks Nest. The overall feeling seemed much calmer. I was screaming my head off and at one point stopped to look around because for some reason it just didn't seem as loud. I looked around and saw everyone going nuts so I chalked it up to my location in the stadium. You just didn't have the noise bouncing off the rafters like you do in the 300 level. The Niner fans came out loud and proud which was also a factor. They were scattered all around us and they were cheering hard, much to my dismay. I was pretty nervous in the first half and needless to say the stress level was much higher than in 05. Yet when I looked around most of the fans around me seemed a little cooler and unfazed by the first half mistakes. Maybe it was because the team has been through so much to get here. The whole next man up, never give up attitude. It wasn't until the Lynch TD run that I calmed down and started to fee like they had this one under control.

For the stadium experience I would vote for 05, but for he game itself it is definitely this one. After all, the Seahawks just knocked off the Niners on the way to the Superbowl. Only one thing could be better. And we'll all get to experience that in two weeks.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
This game was infinitely better... better in everyway.. to me

-1 NOBODY left there seats.... halftime or after.. it was a packed house. I think nobody wanted to miss anything.
in the 2005 game. Seats were empty at half time like every other game.

-2 SEE #1.

Other notes: it was louder this time, more energy and I think generally it FELT like we earned it.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
This game was more exciting and more exhausting (mentally and physically) because it was so close the entire time and I think we had a bit more riding on it. 2005 was our Cinderella season. 2013 was the year when people expected us to do what we did last night.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agree with all the above. I will say that the confetti in 2005 was MUCH better than the little "poof" display at the East side of the field, and the fireworks could have been more spectacular but talk about analyzing with a microscope. Both will be tremendous Seahawks memories that will last my lifetime and beyond, but yesterday's game was supreme in so many ways.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I love both, but '05 was in the bag pretty early. Even when Steve Smith scored a TD on the punt return and they picked up the flag and allowed it... We rolled the Panthers.

This year... it was a roller-coaster. Momentum shifted all game long and even though the Niner's last 4 possessions ended with punt, fumble, INT, game-sealing INT it never was something that we were able to take full advantage. This was a title fight and I think it'll be the most memorable game of the 2013-2014 year.

tooshort

Reaction score
Both were amazing but very different experiences.

2005 Me and my best friend got to witness a game that pretty much immediately was put away and never felt like anything other than a "coronation". It was a party from start to finish constant joy and constant noise.I sit fourth row section 124 right by the Hawks tunnel and we were able to get to the very front as time wound down. We slapped hands and gave congratulations to numerous players,it was amazing. I woke up the next day and read every article in every local paper about the game and was surprised to find that I was written up in almost all of them (the young man with the "warriors knife" shoved through the decapitated stuffed panther head)

2013 I got a second set of season tickets this year specifically so my parents could experience the pure joy and wave of awesome emotion that this kind of game can bring and although we're 77 rows and 15 sections apart it was absolutely amazing to share this experience. Totally different level of gut wrenching lows and soaring highs in this game against a fan base that travels well and had moments where they were heard on the field (yuck). Every great play except the Kearse TD was in our endzone, and the clinching INT was directly in front of me and some of my favorite people in this world. The pure outrageous energy and outpouring of emotion was very similar to the scene during the beastquake but with the added element of the fact that this clinched the trip to the 'owl. While this had felt destined the whole season it took all we had to win this game and I don't think there was any point where I felt like this was over until just before that pick as I turned from seeing the ball come out of Kap's hand and realized that Sherm was in coverage...unreal..surreal..amazing!

The afterglow was so much greater and after parties this year were so much more raucous than 2005 (the whole city is "tapped in" this year) and meeting Jon Ryan and a large contingent of other members of his family out on the town was just icing on the cake. I got the story from Jon's bro Steve (I think, names sometimes escape me) that after the whole family had made their way onto the field to celebrate that they were invited into the locker room and Steve ended up sitting next to Russell as he was doing interviews and such. He said that as the locker room emptied he clammed up and couldn't think of what to say, he eventually got out " So you're going to the Superbowl" to which Russell replied "yup" and opened a notebook filled with pictures of Broncos defensive sets and started scribbling notes. The whole Ryan family was incredibly cool and when I had the chance to meet Jon I had only a few comments for him, "congratulations" , "I hope you have to do nothing other than hold in the Superbowl" and " I'm so glad you're no longer the MVP of the Seahawks" to which he replied "thanks", "Me too" and "No Shit, I'm so glad to be a part of such an amazing team"

Great game, great night...let's take this all the way this time!! Go Hawks!!

carlwain74

Reaction score
Championship game was by far the better of the two games as people did not want to miss a second. I know as every time I went for a nature break or for liquid refreshments the concourse area around levels 306 was like a ghost town. During the divisional game the complete opposite.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This was much better, down to the wire, two incredible teams etc. In 05, you knew the game was over when it was 7-0 and Lofa got the pick. They just were by far the better team that year. This game matched up two evenly matched teams, and ended the way it should have, on the last play.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
In the 2005 game the celebration started far earlier and the ending was surreal, but not nearly as dramatic. It was surreal to me because the Seahawks had never been to a Super Bowl and now it was going to happen, but there is no question that I enjoyed myself much more at this last game. Both were insanely loud.

JonRud

Reaction score
I was at both games.

Both were incredible experiences.

This one was much scarier.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
Yeah, like others have said, the 2005 game had turned into a raucous party by halftime. This one was much more intense and nerve racking, but after the Smith interception the place just exploded in a way that it never did for any single play in '05.