Russell Wilson is the smart man's QB

kearly

Reaction score
Or more accurately, he's the QB dumb men love to hate.

Anyone else notice a deluge of Wilson articles lately saying he's incredibly over-rated because "he's a game manager" who "doesn't throw for over 300 yards a game." I read every one of them I find out of curiosity to see what their arguments will be, and I am consistently underwhelmed by the lack of thought and insight that goes into their arguments. There's one on bleachreport right now, which I won't link to, but it's epitome of bleacher report.

One I will link is this fan article from last year, which is just perfect for how dumb it is.

It's going to be interesting if Wilson ends up with 3+ rings and goes down as the most under-rated over-rated elite QB of all time.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I agree. He kinda gets the game manager moniker but almost reluctantly because he has led comebacks with his arm and is a ridiculous player. People just don't seem to realize he is elite on a per play basis.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Wilson is a chameleon who transforms into the guy he needs to be to win the freakin game.

That's all there is to it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2xm7u4b7 said:
Wilson is a chameleon who transforms into the guy he needs to be to win the freakin game.

That's all there is to it.
Pretty much. He already proved he can do the classic quarterback thing in Atlanta, with this team all he has to do is not turn the ball over and make 4-5 big time throws a game.

rastahawk

Reaction score
With the QB position being so glorified even more so today with it being a so called "passing league", people expect every qb to be a lead role in a feature film or something. So therefore the qb has to put up sexy stats to please the masses. What is often forgotten is that it is a team sport afterall and the astute coach will always shape the team's identity to what he thinks is a winning strategy. Not about what can project your qb into national stardom. RW is part of a plan and that plan is to "Win Forever". While the qb is an integral part, it doesn't mean you're betting the house on it. Lucky for us we have a coach who is smart enough not to fall victim to popular perceptions.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2perxwtr said:

Great way to put it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
lucky for us we also have a back like beast mode.

Else Wilson will have to morph into something else.

no doubt he's capable of doing so.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
If Wilson had the protection in the pocket like Manning in that game Sunday he would throw completions all over the field. I think Manning was touched only 1 time and I dont remember him being under pressure at all in the entire game. Wilson on the other hand was running for his life and on a few of those sacks he had zero chance. I always laugh when other teams fans say how good our Oline is. I would say our Oline in pass protection is average MAYBE above average but they are nothing special.

It seems the last couple games the DE have been getting really close to Wilson as soon as he is done with his dropback and then he has to step up and usually there is another defender right there and he has to make a play. On the rollouts recently there has been a DE or LB in his face as soon as he starts rolling out and usually he just rolls out long enough to throw it out of bounds or a pass that has a very low chance of being caught on the sideline.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Yeah, but he doesn't just sit their and not take shots down field - he has a gun and uses it.

The reason he doesn't look as dominant this year are three fold:

1) Offensive line - we had trouble staying healthy and went though about 10 different starting combinations. This contributed to him running for his life. If we had any other QB except for maybe Aaron Rodgers - we would be in trouble. Russell evades pressure and keeps his eyes downfield in a way few other QBs could.

2) WR injuries - Tate and Baldwin are clearly underrated but how much better would we be with a healthy Rice and Harvin in the mix week to week? Methinks, noticeably so.

3) Defensive schedule - we have played a top ten schedule of defenses this year.

This is why I never understood why everyone was down on him and our offense. We had to overcome a ton this year.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1cas1uqd said:
Yeah, but he doesn't just sit their and not take shots down field - he has a gun and uses it.

The reason he doesn't look as dominant this year are three fold:

1) Offensive line - we had trouble staying healthy and went though about 10 different starting combinations. This contributed to him running for his life. If we had any other QB except for maybe Aaron Rodgers - we would be in trouble. Russell evades pressure and keeps his eyes downfield in a way few other QBs could.

2) WR injuries - Tate and Baldwin are clearly underrated but how much better would we be with a healthy Rice and Harvin in the mix week to week? Methinks, noticeably so.

3) Defensive schedule - we have played a top ten schedule of defenses this year.

This is why I never understood why everyone was down on him and our offense. We had to overcome a ton this year.

ESPECIALLY the last couple games. In the last 7 games we have played the Saints twice, the 49ers twice, the rams and the cardinals. Those are ALL great defenses and idk about the saints but the 49ers, Rams and Cards can all bring pressure with their line and lbs.

For scoring defense the 49ers were 3rd in the league and Saints were 4th in the league, Cards were 7th in points given up. Rams were 13th but we know how good of a defense they have.

As far as passing yards go, Saints were 2nd in the league, 49ers 7th, Cards 14th, Rams 19th.

As far as sacks go, Rams were #3 and Saints were #4. Cards are #6. 49ers were 18th

So I would say we have played some pretty rough defenses, and 4 of those games were against our division which no matter what division games you can usually throw everything out the window, usually anything can happen.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Something that happened yesterday that I have not seen discussed is Russell's 10th career 4th quarter comeback. In 36 career games including playoffs, he has now led 10. In roughly 28% of the games he has played he has led a comeback. Is he a game manager? Yes, when the game plan calls for it. He is a QB that can play essentially anyway you ask him to play. Hand off to Beast Mode, let your defense control the opposing offense? Check. Fall behind by 10 in a championship game, make the throws to get your team in position while providing steady leadership? Check.

Shock2k

Reaction score
I'm convinced they are moving Russell into packet passing duties a little to early, but it's worked out, so what the heck do I know. They are not even attempting to have Russell run anymore (have you seen any designed Russell Wilson runs in the past 8 games? I bet Kearly will know.

He and the team are just adjusting... WHILE they make a Super Bowl run. Give me the smart QB that when necessary can scramble around until he learns call his protections better.

HawkWow

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1167ihgt said:
If Wilson had the protection in the pocket like Manning in that game Sunday he would throw completions all over the field. I think Manning was touched only 1 time and I dont remember him being under pressure at all in the entire game. Wilson on the other hand was running for his life and on a few of those sacks he had zero chance. I always laugh when other teams fans say how good our Oline is. I would say our Oline in pass protection is average MAYBE above average but they are nothing special.

It seems the last couple games the DE have been getting really close to Wilson as soon as he is done with his dropback and then he has to step up and usually there is another defender right there and he has to make a play. On the rollouts recently there has been a DE or LB in his face as soon as he starts rolling out and usually he just rolls out long enough to throw it out of bounds or a pass that has a very low chance of being caught on the sideline.

I guess gone are the days when posters emphatically stated "we don't need to upgrade the O-line because Wilson is not a conventional drop back QB".

I'm not so sure Wilson would be throwing "completions all over the field" with Manning's line. Denver's line allows Manning to step up into the pocket to throw crossing routes and passes down the seam. Even when well protected, we've not seen Wilson comfortable in that mode. This is not to diminish Wilson's talents or prowess as a QB, but he gives every indication he would rather be outside the pocket and throwing to the exterior of the seam than within and this likely due to the fact he is vertically challenged. With the success he's had NOT stepping up into the pocket, I don't see any sense in asking him to change his style now. I would like to see him STOP running backwards as much, but I would hate to ask him to abandon the free wheeling, thinking on the fly style that has made him so sensational to date. More than a QB, RW is a playmaker. Add a couple more dependable weapons and let him innovate, thinks me.

Unsure if you can determine a person's intelligence by whether or not he appreciates Wilson's style, so I find it a bit self serving in calling him a "smart man's QB". But he is definitely a short mans QB. And that's awesome. Maybe one day we will see a short man in the White house. Who knows?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Wilson's numbers are pretty similar to Hass in 05', we rely on running and D and we are much better on D than any team in the NFL.

Anyway, Luck gets the press but throws the INT in big games, Russ steps up and makes big plays when they are there to be made and doesn't force it.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I just don't see how a game manager can put the team on his back and will them to victory (IE-Alex Smith and Cam Newton during the playoffs this season).

I get how they get a lead, and hold onto it for the win. When I think of a manager type, it's not the same thing Wilson is doing.

Just my take on "game managers".

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love that banner SSH...Very cool! May I ask where you found the original photo?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
What's stupid is that it's so easy to disprove this: Game Managers dump off the ball on a busted play and let's the RB eat a 6 yard loss. Wilson runs around for 10 (!) seconds and then delivers a 50 yard strike. Game manager my foot.

plyka

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2fgdh0a7 said:

I love Wilson, he is an incredible player. But this analysis is off. The reason Payton is not touched is because he is so good. I remember reading an article saying that he gets the ball out faster than any other QB in the NFL, while Wilson I believe has the longest time between snap and throw. This is the reason why he avoids so many pressures. I don't think it will work as well against the Seahawks due to their defense. The bump and run coverage will eliminate a lot of quick throws. I think Manning will find it very difficult to move the ball. That said, the oline play is not that bad from the Seahawks, Wilson needs to learn some anticipation throws and get the ball out quicker. Which he will as he matures. But Manning has it down to an art.