"The Immaculate Deflection" or "The Tip"

Basis4day

Reaction score
I've heard the "Immaculate Deflection" being thrown around among fans and the sports show hosts for Sherman's game winning play. Might be the most perfect name. Some may prefer "The Tip". Short, sweet, and to the point.

I generally dislike nicknames and reserve them for exceptional play or players. This deserved it.

'The Immaculate Deflection".

I like it... :lol:

Emerald12

Reaction score
Immaculate Deflection has my vote, I'd love if the organization picked it up and started printing stuff with it on it.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I like "The Immaculate Deflection" but the nickname can't become official unless we win the Super Bowl. Otherwise that play is for nothing.

IcedHawk

Reaction score
The Tip has my vote.
The Immaculate Deflection has been used for a few things already.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
To me, "Immaculate Deflection" has a nice sound to it, but adds a note of divine intervention that wasn't really present. A deflection sounds kind of flukey and it takes away some of the credit from Sherman, who not only was athletic enough to make the play, but also heady enough to *intentionally* tip it to a teammate for a game-winner. There were no football gods helping, only skill, desire, hustle and teamwork.

Franco Harris, on the other hand, just got lucky if he even caught the ball at all!

I'm afraid we're stuck with "The Tip" which is fine, but not as cool as the play itself. It's really hard to come up with something that sounds cool and captures all the elements this play had. I agree with you, it derseves a nickname.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
FargoHawk":1y5lbxde said:
I like "The Immaculate Deflection" but the nickname can't become official unless we win the Super Bowl. Otherwise that play is for nothing.
Agree on both counts.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
No. Franco's catch was "Immaculate" because it was a miracle, a fluke, a monumental bit of good fortune that the ball ricocheted right to him.

There was no luck in what Sherman did. I prefer "The Tip." It came against SF, who have "The Catch." It's perfect.

jkitsune

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2s1oqbtg said:
To me, "Immaculate Deflection" has a nice sound to it, but adds a note of divine intervention that wasn't really present. A deflection sounds kind of flukey and it takes away some of the credit from Sherman, who not only was athletic enough to make the play, but also heady enough to *intentionally* tip it to a teammate for a game-winner. There were no football gods helping, only skill, desire, hustle and teamwork.

Agree wholeheartedly. Bolded for no goddamn reason whatsoever.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I saw 'Seattle swat' somewhere in the media today. Thought that was a good one.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It was the tip that led to the game winning interception. How about "the tipterception"?

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":38sepo4c said:
FargoHawk":38sepo4c said:
Agree on both counts.

Can't ignore that opinion.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Tip sealed the deal, the pass to Kearse won the game. Beasts run changed the momentum.