Bennett and Avril

Laloosh

Reaction score
Great decision or greatest decision to come to SEA?

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3hvq3tmt said:
worst decision not locking bennett up for 4 years

Thought he was looking for a short term deal because the market was soft... Can anybody speak to this?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Avril is locked up for next year as he signed a 2 year deal. Bennett, though, is a free agent and we need to lock him up!

strohmin

Reaction score
We brought them in as a showcase for other teams. I doubt we will be able to sign them. They are gonna get some good money somewhere else.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Everyone was surprised they were signed for so cheap, but they whole heartily bought into Carroll and Schneider's system.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
We can franchise tag bennett and will if we can't get a deal done. We have no one else to use the tag on (franchise tag=pay the player the avg of the top 5 contracts) He's the only player even close to top 5 that will be a FA.

Gametime

Reaction score
What if you could only keep 2 of the three between Avril, Bennett, and Clemons?

Zorn76

Reaction score
Clemons, God bless him, is done after this season in Seattle, IMO.
Hope he gets a ring out of his tenure being a Seahawks, though, because he really deserves it as much as anybody else on the team.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we need their money. One's going for sure, possibly both. I hope we win the Super Bowl so they can have the easiest time naming their price for wherever they end up going. I'd love to keep them both, but I just don't see how it's going to get done. Our secondary is going to cost us an arm and a leg, and I know that's not all due in a few months, but that's when it starts.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bjzh7rb said:
Unfortunately, we need their money. One's going for sure, possibly both. I hope we win the Super Bowl so they can have the easiest time naming their price for wherever they end up going. I'd love to keep them both, but I just don't see how it's going to get done. Our secondary is going to cost us an arm and a leg, and I know that's not all due in a few months, but that's when it starts.

After this year Bennett is a FA and both Clemons and Avril are due $9m. If either one is cut we can save $7m+. I expect that Clemons will be cut as he is not performing as well as Avril. If we were to lose all 3 we would be devastated along the DL. Both of the McD brothers are FA as well.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I think Bennett and Avril could have signed bigger and longer deals elsewhere, but I think they were ring shopping. I think this bodes well for us in the near future because we could attract other ring shopping free agents.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
I have no idea how much it will influence Bennett's decision, but you can tell that he is having fun being a part of the Seahawks. He is always dancing, smiling, and generally having a good time. He has been one of my favourite players this year because of his good vibes.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Clem isn't performing at all. Avril hasn't exactly lit it up either but Bennett is a stud and we should try and keep the guy.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2cdmwb7d said:
I have no idea how much it will influence Bennett's decision, but you can tell that he is having fun being a part of the Seahawks. He is always dancing, smiling, and generally having a good time. He has been one of my favourite players this year because of his good vibes.

Yeah, I have gotten the sense from watching/listening to Bennett that Seattle is where he wants to stay. I'm not suggesting that he'd give a significant discount or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if his agent was instructed to seek a fair deal with the Seahawks as priority one, and if that fails, then seek elsewhere.

I would also imagine that the Seahawks FO is well aware of how important Bennett has been for this team, and that his flexibility and versatility are huge parts of why our D has been so successful this year.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Is there enough cap space to franchise tag Bennett, then renegotiate with Clemons?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
From an NFL.com article here is a Bennett quote

"People want to come here and play for Pete," Bennett said afterward. "He just lets you be yourself. And we're only gonna get better, too. We're so young, man. It's gonna be great to see us grow."

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: