Don't throw the ball to Percy Harvin!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Put him out there as a wide receiver, have him run reverses or bubble screens, even kick off returns are okay if you tell him to run out of bounds instead of taking a hit.

But it's the pass attempts where he is getting hurt as DBs are taking shots at him. He just hasn't played enough to get his body in the kind of condition that he needs to be in to take those shots. Especially the ones over the middle.

We all saw what Wes Welker did to Talib, the same Wes Welker who showed his team mates a video of big hits the night before the Broncos/Patriots game.

So it would not surprise me if the Broncos took the same approach the Saints did, take shots on a defenseless receiver and get him out of the game.

Give it to Percy where he already has the ball in his hands before he is making contact and is able to make the moves to try and avoid the big hits. Don't give it to him in the air, with his arms above his shoulders where he's a target.

Thank you ;)

Hawks46

Reaction score
It could be kind of slick if we used him as a decoy in the first half, then featured him in the 2nd half.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not sure if this is satire or not...

But if serious... hesitation will get you killed. Either go full throttle or don't play. This is the Super Bowl, not the time to get cute. Every guy who steps foot on that field needs to have the exact same mindset of playing a physical, tough football game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3fecomvu said:

But if serious... hesitation will get you killed. Either go full throttle or don't play. This is the Super Bowl, not the time to get cute. Every guy who steps foot on that field needs to have the exact same mindset of playing a physical, tough football game.

Exactly... Not to mention a. We aren't playing a team whose defense is ranked high nor known for attempting to take out opponents. 2. Percy has a pretty good history of going out for pssses

candybars

Reaction score
No disrespect, but I totally disagree with this.

Wes Welker was on the other side of the ball and was running a screen. Doesn't mean he is a dirty player.

We play to win.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt us or Harvin one bit if we handed the ball off to him on reverses, threw him bubble screens, and used him to clear out DBs mainly in the first half and then upped the targets in the 2nd half. In fact I think it might help our game plan. They're going to have a safety over top of him waiting to kill him and stop the play, I think it's actually a good strategy to spread it around and hopefully burn them to keep them honest and then go to him later. You can even line him up as a RB back there if you want to get him more touches.

It's not going to put some hesitation in Percy's mind if we use him this way. And even if it did, look, hesitation getting him killed is speculative at this point. Safeties getting him killed because we stare him down has actually happened.

Hawker

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with the OP, however, we know Wilson will include Harvin in his reads. He can't afford not to.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Just let the LOB work him over a few times in practice, he'll get into game shape real quick, and be able to take more punishment in the long run.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawker":1n2jn3me said:
I somewhat agree with the OP, however, we know Wilson will include Harvin in his reads. He can't afford not to.

Harvin as a decoy works great even if he is always the first read. If he's single-covered, or if the safety isn't in position, pull the trigger (although Russ please do not just fail to see the safety and hang him out to dry).

If he's double-covered, stare him down for 2 seconds, pump fake his way, then throw to a wide open Tate or Baldwin or Willson.

OrFan

Reaction score
Use him as any other receiver. You do not get into shape for concussions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Throw it to him, just don't float it out to him where he's exposed to getting blasted.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dlb1ntl said:
DavidSeven":1dlb1ntl said:

Exactly... Not to mention a. We aren't playing a team whose defense is ranked high nor known for attempting to take out opponents. 2. Percy has a pretty good history of going out for pssses

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league.

plyka

Reaction score
ivotuk":22n8d4u8 said:
Put him out there as a wide receiver, have him run reverses or bubble screens, even kick off returns are okay if you tell him to run out of bounds instead of taking a hit.

But it's the pass attempts where he is getting hurt as DBs are taking shots at him. He just hasn't played enough to get his body in the kind of condition that he needs to be in to take those shots. Especially the ones over the middle.

We all saw what Wes Welker did to Talib, the same Wes Welker who showed his team mates a video of big hits the night before the Broncos/Patriots game.

So it would not surprise me if the Broncos took the same approach the Saints did, take shots on a defenseless receiver and get him out of the game.

Give it to Percy where he already has the ball in his hands before he is making contact and is able to make the moves to try and avoid the big hits. Don't give it to him in the air, with his arms above his shoulders where he's a target.

Thank you ;)

I'm going to agree with you...in preseason games you need to watch out for your players...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":1w40yqjs said:
Uncle Si":1w40yqjs said:
DavidSeven":1w40yqjs said:

You weren't playing a team known for taking out players two weeks ago, either. You were playing a team who was falsely accused of having a bounty program which eventually turned out to be nothing more than a player run performance pool which routinely appeared in every defensive meeting room in the NFL. I have watched every single snap the Saints have played since the advent of Sunday Ticket and have never seen anything I would ever classify as "headhunting" or "intent to injure". The first hit by Rafael Bush was definitely a penalty according to today's rules, but it was no more vicious or intentional than 15-20 plays that occur every week across the league.

You don't think they were headhunting Favre in the 2009 NFCCG? Even casual viewers could see what was happening there.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":2fqf77dl said:
Uncle Si":2fqf77dl said:
DavidSeven":2fqf77dl said:

Brett Favre says youre clueless...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Don't throw the ball to one of the best, most elusive players in football??
Um.....glad you're not the coach.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The plays that guys get injured against the Broncos are not against wide receivers.

They injure dbs with illegal picks that go intentionally low (New England was the latest but check against KC and SD for more examples).

It isn't Harvin that worries me, it is our corners.