Texas A&M wants the Seahawks to pay more

korboko

Reaction score
Their fans are still bitter that the Seahawks still use the 12th Man, and from what I hear.... the university wants more money for their "12th Man" trademark. Our team is currently paying 5,000 dollars a year.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Just change it to 'The 12's' and tell them to pound sand!

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm with Wartooth.

Talk about petty. But hey, I guess if there's money to possibly be made, you'll do anything. Even if it makes you look absolutely pathetic.

Any links in relation to this story?

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Source? I have a hard time believing that we only pay them 5 grand for the name.

If true, a contract's a contract. Boo hoo. A&M did not coin the phrase, they weren't the first to apply it to their fans, and they trademarked it five years after we retired the number for that purpose. If they didn't have the foresight prior to signing off on the deal to envision the phrase and the Seahawks going this far, I have no sympathy for them.

Giphy

253hawk

Reaction score
They didn't even care that we were using it until about 2004-2005 when we were starting to get a little bit of media coverage and their team was swimming in mediocrity. The Bears and Bills also loosely used '12th man' and were told to stop using it and did. Seattle ignored the request, went on to the SB and A&M filed a lawsuit during the playoff run. Paul Allen shoved 100K in their face to shut them up and kicks them another 5K every year until 2016 when it's up for renewal.

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/1/1 ... e-seahawks

Laloosh

Reaction score
korboko":i7awlsl3 said:
Their fans are still bitter that the Seahawks still use the 12th Man, and from what I hear.... the university wants more money for their "12th Man" trademark. Our team is currently paying 5,000 dollars a year.

Is it really only $5,000/year? LOL

Borrowing a line from "Dances With Wolves"... "Good, trade."

OP
OP
K

korboko

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":39y90wsj said:
Source? I have a hard time believing that we only pay them 5 grand for the name.

If true, a contract's a contract. Boo hoo. A&M did not coin the phrase, they weren't the first to apply it to their fans, and they trademarked it five years after we retired the number for that purpose. If they didn't have the foresight prior to signing off on the deal to envision the phrase and the Seahawks going this far, I have no sympathy for them.

Giphy

It was discussed on the Ben Maller Show tonight. Also, there's this article...

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... d_15595460

Rufus

Reaction score
Texas A & M needs to get over themselves and consider themselves lucky that Paul Allen pities them enough to throw them that $5K/year bone.

They didn't even originate the phrase, Iowa did in 1912:

The first recorded use of the term "twelfth man" was in the November 1912 edition of The Iowa Alumnus, an alumni publication of the University of Iowa (then known as State University of Iowa) in which E.A. McGowan described the 1903 game between Iowa and the University of Illinois. In his article, titled "The Twelfth Player" McGowan wrote: "The eleven men had done their best; but the twelfth man on the team (the loyal spirited Iowa rooter) had won the game for old S.U.I."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_man_(football)

TA&M didn't come with their 12th Man tradition until 1921-22--9 years after the phrase was used in Iowa and entered the common parlance--with their legend of non-player E. King Gill suiting up and ready to take the field if needed to help the injury-depleted Aggies squad. And of course, the TAM tradition was in reference to an actual, singular twelfth man, not to their fans as a whole.

The Seahawks, and other football and soccer teams around the WORLD, had been referring to their fans as the 12th Man for decades before TA&M decided to try to trademark the phrase. After years of rabid support, the Seahawks retired the 12 jersey in honor of their 12th Man in 1984... six years before TA&M trademarked it.

The Aggies are like one of those annoying bums who position themselves at a busy intersection and won't let you drive past until you give them some spare change for smearing your window with a greasy rag.

RussellMania

Reaction score
I get why some things need to be trademarked, it'd be bogus if anyone could make a soda called Coca-Cola. But people making money off of "threepeat" and "12th Man" and being litigious about it, I mean screw off. It's next to extortion. That's like what's going on with all these patent law firms that get patents on the craziest stuff and than sue when anyone truly invents something. You can see this with the people trying to extort everyone that makes podcasts.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
They're just pissed because 12th Man merchandising is hotter with a Seahawk on it than with the stupid aTm logo. Can they show damages otherwise?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Personally the 12s thing is getting annoying/out of hand. Hey 12, oh hi 12, man were u with us and the other 12s when we totally 12ed the 12 12 12?
Like Randy during the Obama election on southpark

Polaris

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":belfkddz said:
Wow. We sure fleeced the oilmen on that one.

It was that or Texas A&M losing the trademark altogether and they knew it.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well hell. They moved to the SEC. Have to raise more $ now to be competitive.