12th Man Banner over SUPER BOWL.

sc85sis

Reaction score
No, it's a banner--at least according to that article you linked. And the thing is HUGE! "The banner will be hard to miss, since it's 100 feet high by 40 feet long, says PEMCO spokesman Jon Osterberg"

Bux005

Reaction score
That is awesome! May have to make a trip to REI monday

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
sc85sis":3s6zwr89 said:
No, it's a banner--at least according to that article you linked. And the thing is HUGE! "The banner will be hard to miss, since it's 100 feet high by 40 feet long, says PEMCO spokesman Jon Osterberg"

Well you are correct, what I was trying to get away from saying was...
"12th Man" banner.
There is a reason for this. When I can find the story again I'll post a link. Or even start a new thread.
Seems as though things are starting to stir in College Station again.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
"12th Man" banner.
There is a reason for this. When I can find the story again I'll post a link. Or even start a new thread.
Seems as though things are starting to stir in College Station again.[/quote]

Screw those jabronies in "college station". The phrase was not originated there, and was in widespread use for a long time. If they continue to 'stir'. I'd be in favor of going back to court and getting their so-called copyright canceled. That, or I'm going to go patent car radios and copyright the word "a". Same thing.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3obqngq9 said:
"12th Man" banner.
Seems as though things are starting to stir in College Station again.

Screw those jabronies in "college station". The phrase was not originated there, and was in widespread use for a long time. If they continue to 'stir'. I'd be in favor of going back to court and getting their so-called copyright canceled. That, or I'm going to go patent car radios and copyright the word "a". Same thing.[/quote]

I feel ya friend.
I don't know the "ins and outs" of how the agreement works. So I can't really say a lot on the topic.
I have read a couple of little pieces in local news that make it seem as though they may be planning a "push" to up the ante or amend the agreement. I'm still looking for a link to what I read.
GoHawks

lsheldon

Reaction score
Very interesting write up on Wikipedia about the term. First use was in an Iowa Alumnus publication in 1912. First use of it by Texas A&M was in 1921, so they stole it from Iowa. They just happened to trademark it first.

The first recorded use of the term "twelfth man" was in the November 1912 edition of The Iowa Alumnus, an alumni publication of the University of Iowa (then known as State University of Iowa) in which E.A. McGowan described the 1903 game between Iowa and the University of Illinois. In his article, titled "The Twelfth Player" McGowan wrote: "The eleven men had done their best; but the twelfth man on the team (the loyal spirited Iowa rooter) had won the game for old S.U.I."

Seattle settled out of court in a trademark infringement case and licensed its use. According to the 2006 articles all Seattle has to do is acknowledge that the term belongs to Texas A&M.

But in the agreement, Texas A&M will allow the Seahawks to continue using the phrase "12th Man" provided the NFL franchise acknowledges that the copyright on the slogan belongs to the school.

Here are a couple of articles about the settlement:

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/art ... 891319.php
http://web.archive.org/web/200707050937 ... awk09.html

In return for acknowledgement of A&M's ownership rights to the 12th Man slogan, the Seahawks can use the phrase in promotions and fan activities in the Northwest. The team can continue its traditional raising of the 12th Man flag before games, and fans can still buy Seahawks jerseys and small flags with the No. 12 on them.

No money was involved in the settlement.

The Seahawks can essentially use the 12th Man anywhere, but the settlement restricts usage in radio and TV broadcasts without the use of a disclaimer that mentions that the slogan is a copyright of Texas A&M.

Wikipedia has this to say about licensing fees though:

In January 2006, Texas A&M filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against the Seattle Seahawks to protect the trademark and in May 2006, the dispute was settled out of court. As part of the agreement, the Seahawks acknowledge Texas A&M's ownership rights of the trademarked phrase. However, the NFL team may continue using it under license. Neither side admitted any fault or liability. In the agreement, Texas A&M licensed the Seahawks to continue using the phrase "12th Man" in exchange for $100,000, along with public acknowledgement by the NFL franchise as to Texas A&M's ownership of the phrase, and an additional annual fee. The compensation amounted to $5000 per year.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
What a totally random and arbitrary coincidence that the two times A&M comes calling, the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl. :roll:

Way to keep the American Dream alive, College Station; wait for others to succeed so you can grab a li'l slice for yourself. :salute:

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":28a7a8kf said:
What a totally random and arbitrary coincidence that the two times A&M comes calling, the Seahawks are in the Super Bowl. :roll:

Way to keep the American Dream alive, College Station; wait for others to succeed so you can grab a li'l slice for yourself. :salute:

This is what I was thinking.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
pmedic920":2d8pu275 said:
-The Glove-":2d8pu275 said:
pmedic920":2d8pu275 said:
Has anybody here gone to one of the signings?
just signed it at the rally earlier
That's awesome. Is it effin huge, or what?
they had it folded over a bunch of times but the section they had us sign took up several tables...so yeah... Pretty big

HansGruber

Reaction score
Texas A&M, a college that has done nothing and discovered nothing of significance in its entire existence. Awesome. Fourth-tier school arbitrarily patents a term that every football team uses and somehow that equates to.....??? Hey, I went to Texas A&M and all I got was this T-shirt and a bill that I'll never be able to repay because I went to a college that doesn't rank in the Top-1000 in any single useful area of study. But hey, I'll know how to differentiate a 2-week-old cow patty from a 3-week-old cow patty.

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":15y4nyas said:
Is it effin huge, or what?

From the article in the OP: [edit--oh wait, YOU are the OP]
"The banner will be hard to miss, since it's 100 feet high by 40 feet long, says PEMCO spokesman Jon Osterberg.
"If it were hung over the edge of the building it would extend all the way down to the sidewalk and across the street adjacent so this thing is really large."

Yes, its effin huge. :D

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
jjinwa":1ycxpedc said:
pmedic920":1ycxpedc said:
Is it effin huge, or what?

From the article in the OP: [edit--oh wait, YOU are the OP]
"The banner will be hard to miss, since it's 100 feet high by 40 feet long, says PEMCO spokesman Jon Osterberg.
"If it were hung over the edge of the building it would extend all the way down to the sidewalk and across the street adjacent so this thing is really large."

Yes, its effin huge. :D

Come on man. I know how big the article says it is. I'm just pumped about it being done for the SB.
Trying to get everybody else excited. :)